Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) released! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) released!

jtm62
04-23-2009, 07:36
Hey all,

9.04 was just released. I'm in the process of downloading all four versions and upgrading my laptop!

Just thought I'd share. Good luck!

Specks
04-23-2009, 07:55
I'm downloading the desktop version. It's slow going, only at 25% and still about 2 hours remaining.

jtm62
04-23-2009, 08:25
I'm downloading the desktop version. It's slow going, only at 25% and still about 2 hours remaining.

All four of my downloads have completed (desktop 32&66 + server 32&64)

I averaged 250Kb/s at http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/

I'm burning the CDs now.

ETA: I'm also upgrading my laptop from 8.10 and it is taking forever, only averaging 60Kb/s I have half the packages and I still have 2.5 hours to go, just on the download.

Specks
04-23-2009, 08:36
eh, I was using a mirror, apparently a slow one. I just started a download from the url you listed, getting twice the download speed now.

jtm62
04-23-2009, 09:00
eh, I was using a mirror, apparently a slow one. I just started a download from the url you listed, getting twice the download speed now.

Awesome! I was planning on doing a fresh install on my sister's laptop, it has been overheating lately and it had a meltdown in the middle of the install. :steamed::faint: Guess I'll wait a few hours for it to cool off and try again.

IndyGunFreak
04-23-2009, 12:15

When there's new releases like this, use the Torrents, they are almost always cooking. The servers will begin to get bogged down tonight as kids get out of school, etc..

IGF

jtm62
04-23-2009, 12:39
ugh.

Still having problems with my broadcom card.

it's a 4306/3

The drivers are installed and the card turns on... it just won't connect to a WPA network. I'm getting ready to test it against WEP and no security.

MavsX
04-23-2009, 12:50
yeah man. ubuntu's site is slow today. obviously, we know why. I'm going to wait a little bit before doing this. Just because i don't want to spend 5 hrs doing it.

jtm62
04-23-2009, 13:12
HAHA! It works! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

I used this thread for reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885173&page=1

Specks
04-23-2009, 13:20
When there's new releases like this, use the Torrents, they are almost always cooking. The servers will begin to get bogged down tonight as kids get out of school, etc..

IGF

Torrents are one thing I haven't really used before and would need a good primer/tutorial. Know of one you can point me to or should I just google it?

Specks
04-23-2009, 13:21
HAHA! It works! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

I used this thread for reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885173&page=1

I have almost never been let down by the knowledge on the ubuntu forums. They have helped me fix everything.

jtm62
04-23-2009, 13:24
Torrents are one thing I haven't really used before and would need a good primer/tutorial. Know of one you can point me to or should I just google it?

Download a client, if you are using windows. I use Vuse on my windows machines. On my Linux box's I use what comes with the OS.

As far as a guide, you really only need on if you plan on creating and uploading torrents. If you just want to download and seed than just google search what you are looking for.

I just searched for a torrent of 9.04 and the top return was the release page I pointed you to earlier... the torrents are at the bottom in an FTP type display. When you select one it prompts you to download in your bit-torrent client of choice.

IndyGunFreak
04-23-2009, 16:04
Just finished installing on my Desktop...

The install, went fine.. didn't take long at all. I'm amazed at how much faster 9.04 boots, as opposed to 8.10, not that it was ever a major issue for me, but there is a major difference.

The biggest problem I'm running into, is the freakin repositories are SLOWWWW right now. Probably from all the people reinstalling software, etc. So I've got the basics installed, I'll probably wait a few days to tweak the system just how I want.

Looks good so far though..

IGF

syntaxerrorsix
04-23-2009, 16:18
Just finished installing on my Desktop...

The install, went fine.. didn't take long at all. I'm amazed at how much faster 9.04 boots, as opposed to 8.10, not that it was ever a major issue for me, but there is a major difference.

The biggest problem I'm running into, is the freakin repositories are SLOWWWW right now. Probably from all the people reinstalling software, etc. So I've got the basics installed, I'll probably wait a few days to tweak the system just how I want.

Looks good so far though..

IGF

Did you upgrade from the package manager update or torrent?

EagleOne716
04-23-2009, 16:20
I have a ASUS 900 Netbook
Is it set up for netbooks yet...or do I need to wait?

IndyGunFreak
04-23-2009, 16:22
Did you upgrade from the package manager update or torrent?

I did a complete clean install... I don't upgrade OS's.. never have, even w/ Windoze. I just do clean installs. I backed all the important stuff up to a separate partition, downloaded the ISO, burned it, and and the installed it over 8.10

When I say the repositories are slow.. just as an example, I just tried to install Xchat... which usually, would take all of about 30-40sec.... Its going on about 3min, and is only 9% complete. Like I said, its pretty clear things are just overwhelmed right now.. and it should even out in a few days.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-23-2009, 16:25
I have a ASUS 900 Netbook
Is it set up for netbooks yet...or do I need to wait?

If you're referring to Ubuntu-eee or whatever it is.. thats a separate project.. I don't know when they'll have 9.04 ready.

Ubuntu has 9.04 w/ the NBR.. its not optimized for the eee, like ee ubuntu is... You'll have to download the image and put it on a thumb drive.. just follow the instructions.

See the UNR USB version below.... I think there's a link to instructions also.

http://ubuntu-mirror.cs.colorado.edu/releases/jaunty/

Linux3
04-23-2009, 21:36
Guess I'm switching back to Ubuntu from Fedora.
It's this that puts me over the edge:
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty

I have tried to like KDE4.2 and also Gnome but I think KDE 3.5 is the ultimate in WM. Sounds like I am not the only one to miss KDE 3.5 if there is a project to put it back in Kubuntu.

betyourlife
04-23-2009, 21:38
So how does everyone like it so far? I just got 8.10 a week ago and configured the way I want (music player, etc.)

Is it worth switching this early? Or should I play around with what I have now first?

IndyGunFreak
04-23-2009, 22:01
So how does everyone like it so far? I just got 8.10 a week ago and configured the way I want (music player, etc.)

Is it worth switching this early? Or should I play around with what I have now first?

ah, I probably wouldn't switch this soon, just remember, Ubuntu has a hard, 6mo release cycle... so there's gonna be another version out in October. You've got a stable system that you're happy with.. no real reason to rock the boat, unless you absolutely need or want to.

I did get past my first minor annoyance with it this evening... On my main PC, I have dual monitors, and instead of one panel on the top and bottom of each monitor, I just have one long panel, along the top of both monitors(although technically, its two panels... 1 on top of each monitor).

Well, when I want to play Urban Terror, I have to disable monitor 2, which kicks that second panel over to monitor 1. Well, what I used to do, was when I enabled the second monitor when I was done playing, I just drag and drop it back where i want it on the top of monitor 2. Well, it wouldn't drag, and I was actually getting fairly torqued about it..lol, because its been drag and drop for as long as I've used Linux.. Apparently, Ubuntu decided to make it where you had to hold Alt, and then drag and drop.. :)

Also, for those of you a bit experienced w/ just Restarting X w/ Control Alt Backspace... that has been disabled in 9.04. If this is a feature you use and need (which I do).. open a terminal and run... "sudo apt-get install dontzap" no quotes. When that installs, run the following command "sudo dontzap --disable"... You should just go right back to your prompt, with no errors. That will add an entry to your Xorg.conf, then after your Next Restar(so Xorg.conf reloads) Control Alt Backspace will work like it always has...

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-23-2009, 22:06
Guess I'm switching back to Ubuntu from Fedora.
It's this that puts me over the edge:
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty

I have tried to like KDE4.2 and also Gnome but I think KDE 3.5 is the ultimate in WM. Sounds like I am not the only one to miss KDE 3.5 if there is a project to put it back in Kubuntu.

I know w/ 8.10, KDE4 had several glitches... It was buggy for a lot of people.. Hopefully thats been resolved w/ 9.04. Personally, I'd rather look at nude photos of Rosie O' Donnell, than use KDE... But thank goodness for CHOICE! :)

IGF

dotsun
04-24-2009, 04:38
I know w/ 8.10, KDE4 had several glitches... It was buggy for a lot of people.. Hopefully thats been resolved w/ 9.04. Personally, I'd rather look at nude photos of Rosie O' Donnell, than use KDE... But thank goodness for CHOICE! :)

IGF

I tried gnome for a few days with Ubuntu, but I ended up with KDE in Suse. I didn't like the look of gnome, but it could be that I just didn't know how to configure it the way I wanted it. I will say this, however, I'd gladly use ugly gnome than look at naked Rosie. :rofl:

IndyGunFreak
04-24-2009, 05:17
I tried gnome for a few days with Ubuntu, but I ended up with KDE in Suse. I didn't like the look of gnome, but it could be that I just didn't know how to configure it the way I wanted it. I will say this, however, I'd gladly use ugly gnome than look at naked Rosie. :rofl:

When I first started going to the #ubuntu support channel a couple of years ago.. I got kicked out of there for using that analogy when someone suggested KDE. The OPs in there rule w/ an iron fist. Now that I've been in there for a while, and am generally answering far more questions than I ask.. they let up on me a bit... :)

Second.. was just looking around, and the code name for Ubuntu 9.10.. Karmic Koala...lol. I don't know who comes up w/ these names, but they've got an impressive use of adjectives and animals(real or make-believe)

Here's a brainstorm for naming 10.04..lol. I don't know how often they pay attention to these threads, but some of these names are.. interesting.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1094695

IGF

jtm62
04-24-2009, 05:50
I certai this one will win for 10.04. hahaah

looney lemming

IndyGunFreak
04-24-2009, 07:14
For those of you that might play Urban Terror under Ubuntu 9.04...

It was crashing on me constantly (Nvidia 7300, w/ restricted driver installed)... Probably done this 4-5x, usually after about 10min of play. Never had this problem on 8.10. I got to checking settings, etc, and on a whim, disabled desktop effects to "None" (System/Pref/Appearance/Visual Effects), and it has worked perfectly for about an hour last night and an hour this morning..

IGF

MavsX
04-24-2009, 07:14
man IGF is a beast with linux

MavsX
04-24-2009, 07:15
i'm still on 8.04

IndyGunFreak
04-24-2009, 07:19
man IGF is a beast with linux

I learned by screwing up.. DC isn't around much anymore, but he had to pimp slap me in PMs quite a few times.. ;)

MavsX
04-24-2009, 07:35
where in Ind. do you live ?

IndyGunFreak
04-24-2009, 07:41
where in Ind. do you live ?

Indpls... If you're familiar w/ the city, I live in Irvington.. my own, quiet little pocket, right smack dab in the middle of the crappy east side.. :). My particular neighborhood, is pretty quiet, mostly the elderly, people I've known my whole life, etc. Surrounding areas though, are questionable at best.

IGF

CheesyD
04-24-2009, 10:18
I did the upgrade to 9.04 from 8.10 on my main laptop (which is dual boot with XP). Went without a hitch. I kept it at ext3 due to some reported issues with ext4.

On my older desktop, I'm doing a clean install from 8.10 to 9.04 with ext4. That machine is entirely Ubuntu, no XP.

IndyGunFreak
04-24-2009, 10:45
I did the upgrade to 9.04 from 8.10 on my main laptop (which is dual boot with XP). Went without a hitch. I kept it at ext3 due to some reported issues with ext4.

On my older desktop, I'm doing a clean install from 8.10 to 9.04 with ext4. That machine is entirely Ubuntu, no XP.

I've not messed w/ ext4 yet.. not sure if some of the issues that have plagued it are resolved yet... I've not really followed it.

IGF

MavsX
04-24-2009, 19:11
Indpls... If you're familiar w/ the city, I live in Irvington.. my own, quiet little pocket, right smack dab in the middle of the crappy east side.. :). My particular neighborhood, is pretty quiet, mostly the elderly, people I've known my whole life, etc. Surrounding areas though, are questionable at best.

IGF

that's cool. i did an internship in 2001 up there. Had an apartment, rent free in castleton, like a mile or so from the mall. It was awesome. And Penn Station was close by. That place makes awesome cheese steaks!

Linux3
04-25-2009, 06:22
I've not messed w/ ext4 yet.. not sure if some of the issues that have plagued it are resolved yet... I've not really followed it.
IGF
I have 3 partitions, /, /home and swap.
I installed 9.04 with all partitions formatted ext4.
I'll let you know how it goes.
I come from an SGI Unix world of xfs and although I use it on data drives the 32bit version is not real good for /.
So I've been itching for a better file system. I have been keeping my eye on btrfs.
Now that looks good!

IndyGunFreak
04-25-2009, 06:36
I have 3 partitions, /, /home and swap.
I installed 9.04 with all partitions formatted ext4.
I'll let you know how it goes.
I come from an SGI Unix world of xfs and although I use it on data drives the 32bit version is not real good for /.
So I've been itching for a better file system. I have been keeping my eye on btrfs.
Now that looks good!

ext3 has always worked well for me... I don't think it takes advantage of space as well as some of the newer ones... so I'll watch this...

On another note.. another helpful hint with 9.04

I don't think this is specifically an issue with 9.04, but more an application issue. The program Evince, which is the default PDF reader, is causing massive resource spikes on my laptop and PC. I was going from 8-10% in use, to 100% in use, and it wasn't even trying to open a file. Evince appears to be a different version than was installed with 8.10, and it worked perfectly there... Definitely something is amiss w/ the newer version. YMMV on this one, but it was definitely an issue for me.

For PDF reading... I'd recommend adding the medibuntu repository (which you'll probably want to add for other stuff anyways), and installing Adobe Acrobat. Once I installed and used it, things were fine.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

MavsX
04-25-2009, 11:32
where can i find XMMS ? I found it in the repositories in 7.10, the i installed 8.04 and i can't find XMMS. I find a bunch of client server apps, but not the actual application.

IndyGunFreak
04-25-2009, 13:44
where can i find XMMS ? I found it in the repositories in 7.10, the i installed 8.04 and i can't find XMMS. I find a bunch of client server apps, but not the actual application.

Xmms project ended... You can install xmms2...

sudo apt-get install xmms2

I'm not really sure what level of support xmms2 is getting... I do think its a CLI program now, so it may not work for you if you're not familiar w/ command line. A program that is very similar to xmms(will also use xmms skins if you have them), is Audacious.

sudo apt-get install audacious

IGF

MavsX
04-25-2009, 14:34
i really liked the way XMMS looked. and yeah i did see xmms2. Audacious will work good. Thanks again man.

BigSexy
04-25-2009, 14:56
Upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 today on a thinkpad t41 dual booting XP.

When I installed 8.10 a couple months ago I was having a problem with the wireless picking up the network coming out of sleep mode. I'm sure there was a fix, I just didn't have time to dink around with it. The upgrade appears to have solved the problem for me.

MavsX
04-25-2009, 16:12
man i'm having problems with my mouse sometimes on my NC 6000
i can't get my wireless wpa2 passphase to save. So when i reboot my laptop i have to re-enter it.

duncan
04-25-2009, 16:14

I love 9.04 Jaunty! I was rockin Intrepid on my 2.6Ghz HP Pavilion swith 1gig ram using Wubi dual boot to a second HDD with XP on the main HDD. Did the upgrade there.

BUT the real slick advances should be seen on the older laptops. I'm running Jaunty on my PIII Thinkpad T20 with a 1.0Ghz processor and 512Mb ram and this version fixed a hibernation and shutdown bugs too. Really happy. I was a breeze to find my wifi HP printer and set to default as well as getting my Cisco aircard to find my hidden network and connect to the web.

I recommend backing up your files and DOING A CLEAN INSTALL. It's not like a Windows machine because your primary apps are part of Jaunty. Clean install for a healthier system.

IndyGunFreak
04-25-2009, 16:32
man i'm having problems with my mouse sometimes on my NC 6000
i can't get my wireless wpa2 passphase to save. So when i reboot my laptop i have to re-enter it.

Try this.....

Right Click nm-applet (thats the thing that looks like two computers...usually is by the sound icon and the clock in the panel, and what you click to see networks.)...

When you right click it, you should see Enable Networking, Enable Wireless, and Edit Connections... First, obviously, make sure Wireless is enabled. Then go to Edit Connections.

Click the Wireless Tab
Highlight your Wireless connection, and click Edit
On the First Tab.. make sure your SSID is correct
On the Second Tab, make sure "Connect Automatically" is checked, Your Security Protocol is set correctly, and your password is entered correctly.

IGF

MavsX
04-27-2009, 05:24
Try this.....

Right Click nm-applet (thats the thing that looks like two computers...usually is by the sound icon and the clock in the panel, and what you click to see networks.)...

When you right click it, you should see Enable Networking, Enable Wireless, and Edit Connections... First, obviously, make sure Wireless is enabled. Then go to Edit Connections.

Click the Wireless Tab
On the Second Tab, make sure "Connect Automatically" is checked, Your Security Protocol is set correctly, and your password is entered correctly.

IGF

alright, i will check this when i get home tonight. What i was trying before hand, was doing a "manual configuration, you know the basics: ssid, encryption, passphase, dhcp. But it would still ask for the password, and then i could not see all of the other networks in range. So i had to undue that.

Like i said i will try it at home. Thanks for helping. I am not sure if i was asking for help earlier, or just venting. Either way, i am glad you responded!

MavsX
04-27-2009, 05:39
meanwhile as far as my mouse issue. I am using the built in mouse pad thing on the HP NC6000. It only happens every now and then. So i am trying to figure out what is triggering the mouse screw ups. Anyway, if i move my mouse to a certain spot, like say i want to put it on the "post quick reply" below this box. I can move it there, but as soon as i release my finger from the pad, the cursor moves north like an inch or an inch and half. Then i will move it back to the button or link i want to click, and it will keep moving up an inch. Sometimes i have to keep pressure with my finger while clicking the button so it won't move on me! Sometimes i will reboot, and that seems to fix the issue for the most part. I make sure then when it boots up or reboots, that nothing is on the trackpad, so that the x and y's aren't all initialized wrong. Kinda like when you reboot and some of the keys are pressed down on a keyboard.

kckndrgn
04-27-2009, 06:35
I upgraded my Dell laptop over the weekend. WOW, I love the new system, it seems so much faster.

I've got a basic install for now. I'm also glad to see the wireless problems with broadcom are fixed, I never could get it to work in 8.10, 9.04 worked out of the box woo hoo!

Linux3
04-27-2009, 06:48
I installed Kubuntu 9.04 on a Dell D630 w/Nvidia graphics and 4 gB ram.
I still hate KDE 4.2 but with the promise of installing KDE 3.5 I marched on.
The .iso version of 9.04 with KDE 3.5 was still in beta so as per instructions I ran:
apt-get kubuntu-desktop-kde3
Couldn't find the package.
I needed to add a new repo.
To do that, you can download and install this
package:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/k/kde3-maintainers-keyring/kde3-maintainers-keyring_2009.04.24.1_all.deb

Then do a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop-kde3

It was very buggy. I understand it's a small remix and I give kudos to the guys working on it but...

Anyway, I wiped the system and install Ubuntu 9.04 rather than look at pictures of Rosie naked.
I spent the time to get gnome configured and I like it. I like it.
9.04 is so fast! Networking is totally reliable and the desktop is clean.

jtm62
04-27-2009, 06:54
I upgraded my Dell laptop over the weekend. WOW, I love the new system, it seems so much faster.

I've got a basic install for now. I'm also glad to see the wireless problems with broadcom are fixed, I never could get it to work in 8.10, 9.04 worked out of the box woo hoo!

What Broadcom card do you have... please run lspci and find out.

Mine is a 4306/3 and it is STILL giving me fits. It only worked for like 2 hours, my self proclaimed victory on the second pages was a premature celebration.

TBO
04-27-2009, 06:57
INSTALL QUESTION:

I assume that I don't just download this and install it on my old laptop, I'll need to figure out what drivers I need for my laptop first?

Thanks in advance

jtm62
04-27-2009, 07:03
INSTALL QUESTION:

I assume that I don't just download this and install it on my old laptop, I'll need to figure out what drivers I need for my laptop first?

Thanks in advance

You are correct about the download and install part. You can download the .iso file from the link on the first page. An .iso file is essentially a bootable CD (The image of the disk). So what you'll want to do is insert a blank CD and burn the image to the disk with your disk authoring suite (Most windows machines come with one).

If you have the option you'll want to insure you burn it as an .iso rather than just a data disk to ensure that the autorun integrity remains perfect.

Once your disk is authored it will eject. Reinsert and restart the computer, it should boot from the CDRom drive. Follow the steps to install ubuntu.

The answer to your driver question is, no. The OS will find and utilize MOST of the correct drivers. Occasionally you get a problem, like with my bastard wireless card... but we can cross that bridge when we get there. :supergrin:

TBO
04-27-2009, 07:11
Thanks.

My laptop does have wireless built into it, but if that doesn't get picked up I do have a Trend Micro Wireless card to try.

I am familiar with burning ISO files so I will give it a whirl.

Now, if I can just find a download site I can get into! (damn bandwidth hoggers :supergrin: )

jtm62
04-27-2009, 07:16
Thanks.

My laptop does have wireless built into it, but if that doesn't get picked up I do have a Trend Micro Wireless card to try.

I am familiar with burning ISO files so I will give it a whirl.

Now, if I can just find a download site I can get into! (damn bandwidth hoggers :supergrin: )

:rofl: Do you have a BitTorrent client you can try? It is normally faster.

Also, I trust this laptop has a built in Ethernet card as well? If you have wireless issues debugging might be easier with a hard wire.

TBO
04-27-2009, 07:36
Yeah, it has built in Ethernet.
My download started off right fast, but now is down to 102/109 KB/sec http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/TheeBadOne/TBO/action-smiley-077.gif

TBO
04-27-2009, 09:02
Downloaded, now scanning for virus/malware, then chcksm, then install (at least I hope :tbo: )

jtm62
04-27-2009, 09:09
Downloaded, now scanning for virus/malware, then chcksm, then install (at least I hope :tbo: )

Awesome, keep us posted.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 09:52

You shouldn't need to scan it.. that would be one clever virus.

When you get to it, boot the Live CD, and if you can get online via wireless, thats good.... if not, hook up an ethernet cable and come here and we can try to trouble shoot it.

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 09:54
Disc is burned, chksm okay, now booting from CD (no install, just demo).

TBO
04-27-2009, 09:57
Scared the CRAP out of me! You didn't say it starts up with music! :rofl:

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 10:03
Scared the CRAP out of me! You didn't say it starts up with music! :rofl:

OK.. so your sound works.. ;)

Did your wireless work out of the box?

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 10:04
From the CD (boot up Demo) it does detect my wireless (but can't seem to get in. I think the built in wireless is too old for my wireless security protocol). Hopefully my add on card will work.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 10:08
From the CD (boot up Demo) it does detect my wireless (but can't seem to get in. I think the built in wireless is too old for my wireless security protocol). Hopefully my add on card will work.

Some of the add on cards are tricky at best. Do you know the chipset of the Internal Card, and what model is the Trend Micro (is it USB, PCMIA, etc..)

Edit: One other note... When you runt he Trend Micro card.. you might need to disable the onboard wireless in your BIOS (assuming you can)... If not, it will have to be blacklisted.

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 10:11
The internal card is Microsoft Pro "something". Laptop is a IBM Thinkpad with 1.4 Ghrz CPU.

The Add on card is PCMA Trend Micro TEW-421PC/A

I also have an older Linksys PCMA SRX-400 (Guess it is labeled as WPC54GX4)

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 10:13
The internal card is Microsoft Pro "something". Laptop is a IBM Thinkpad with 1.4 Ghrz CPU.

The Add on card is PCMA Trend Micro TEW-421PC/A

I also have an older Linksys PCMA SRX-400 (Guess it is labeled as WPC54GX4)

If you're on Ubuntu now....
Open up a terminal (Application/Accesories/Terminal)
type "lspci" no quotes, and that is a lowercase L
Hit enter, and copy/paste the output here.

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 10:23
This is my desktop I'm on here with.

I was able to run that command on my Laptop, but can't get on the Internet with wired (ethernet) internet.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 10:27
This is my desktop I'm on here with.

I was able to run that command on my Laptop, but can't get on the Internet with wired (ethernet) internet.

Really?.. thats surprising... I don't think I've ever saw a normal ethernet connection not work. What model Thinkpad is this?

when you run lspci... look and see how it identifies your network devices.. Its gonna spit out a ton of stuff, look for a couple of lines that might look like this..

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

TBO
04-27-2009, 10:33
Think Pad R50

02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI
Adapter (rev 04)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 81)

TBO
04-27-2009, 10:45
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".

See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller (rev 03)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 81)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 01)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4520 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 10:56
Did you get the laptop online, or did you type all that?

I can find no reason at all why that device shouldn't work. The Trend Micro card, I can't even find any references to it on Google for Ubuntu or Windows.. are you sure the model is right?

You said the Intel device is seeing networks, just can't connect to yours, and you suspect its because the device is old, and doesn't support your security setting. That's a good possibility.

You might need to use ndiswrapper w/ the Windows driver with the Trend Micro device.. I've got ZERO ndiswrapper experience. Ndiswrapper should be on the CD, so it should be easy enough to install.

You might try asking about this over on Ubuntuforums.org...

IGF

kckndrgn
04-27-2009, 10:57
What Broadcom card do you have... please run lspci and find out.

Mine is a 4306/3 and it is STILL giving me fits. It only worked for like 2 hours, my self proclaimed victory on the second pages was a premature celebration.

lspci returns BCM4312 (rev 01)

TBO
04-27-2009, 11:00
Did you get the laptop online, or did you type all that?

I can find no reason at all why that device shouldn't work. The Trend Micro card, I can't even find any references to it on Google for Ubuntu or Windows.. are you sure the model is right?

You said the Intel device is seeing networks, just can't connect to yours, and you suspect its because the device is old, and doesn't support your security setting. That's a good possibility.

You might need to use ndiswrapper w/ the Windows driver with the Trend Micro device.. I've got ZERO ndiswrapper experience. Ndiswrapper should be on the CD, so it should be easy enough to install.

You might try asking about this over on Ubuntuforums.org...

IGFStill offline. I used a thumbdrive to copy/transfer that info to here.

I did find some info online about the Trend Micro card and mdiswrapper, so I guess that's what I'll try. If it works I'll do a full install of Ubuntu.

Thanks for your help.

TBO

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 11:03
OK... I think I just figured out part of this mystery... Is your PCMIA card a Trend NET not a Trend Micro? (This might explain why I couldn't find a windows reference..lol)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsTrendnet#PCMCIA

Just looking at that, it looks like the 421, does need ndiswrapper...

Lemme look into this.

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 11:08
OK... I think I just figured out part of this mystery... Is your PCMIA card a Trend NET not a Trend Micro? (This might explain why I couldn't find a windows reference..lol)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsTrendnet#PCMCIA

Just looking at that, it looks like the 421, does need ndiswrapper...

Lemme look into this.

IGF
OPPS! Yes, it is Trend NET, sorry (going on a few hours of sleep, need coffee NOW).

That's where I found the blurb, and I'm reading it now. I have DL'd the driver, now trying to figure out what:

Install ndiswrapper and the gui if you want to.

means.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 11:27
OPPS! Yes, it is Trend NET, sorry (going on a few hours of sleep, need coffee NOW).

That's where I found the blurb, and I'm reading it now. I have DL'd the driver, now trying to figure out what:

Install ndiswrapper and the gui if you want to.

means.

It means you want to.. ;) Unless you do it via command line.

Basically, here's what I think you're gonna have to do... Can you disable your wireless device in your BIOS? I know on my laptop I can. If you can, thats the first step I would take. If you can't, then this will be difficult from the Live CD, because the Intel device will have to be blacklisted so it doesn't interfere with the other one.

Then you need to download the Windows driver, which you've apparently already done.

Then you need to install ndiswrapper. Boot the Ubuntu CD, go to

1. System/Admin/Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click Settings/Repositories
3. When the Next Window pops up, at the Bottom, where it says something about the 9.04 CD.. make sure there's a check mark next to that. If so, you can close that window.. and go to step 5
4. If its not checked. Check it, close it, then cilck "reload"... You'll get a ton of errors, but I'm not overly concerned about that right now. I just want your CD added to your source list.
5. Click search button and search for "ndiswrapper"... It will do its thing, and should come up w/ 3 choices.
6. Right click "ndisgtk" and click Mark for Installation. Its gonna say it was to install some other utilities... Click Mark, then Apply and Apply, and it should install.
7. Move the Windows INF driver to your desktop
8. Click Location, and navigate to the driver.
9. Click Install

I *Think* thats all you need to do... I don't think ndiswrapper will require you to restart... If it does, then thats a problem, because when you restart a Live CD, you lose all settings.

See if you can get online now.

TBO
04-27-2009, 11:38
I think I disabled it, now to figure out the ndiswrapper thing.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 11:46
I think I disabled it, now to figure out the ndiswrapper thing.

My Only concern is, I'm not sure if after installing ndiswrapper, if you'll be required to restart.

We'll see I guess.

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 12:03
Then you need to install ndiswrapper. Boot the Ubuntu CD, go to

1. System/Admin/Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click Settings/Repositories
3. When the Next Window pops up, at the Bottom, where it says something about the 9.04 CD.. make sure there's a check mark next to that. If so, you can close that window.. and go to step 5
4. If its not checked. Check it, close it, then cilck "reload"... You'll get a ton of errors, but I'm not overly concerned about that right now. I just want your CD added to your source list.
5. Click search button and search for "ndiswrapper"... It will do its thing, and should come up w/ 3 choices.
6. Right click "ndisgtk" and click Mark for Installation. Its gonna say it was to install some other utilities... Click Mark, then Apply and Apply, and it should install.
7. Move the Windows INF driver to your desktop
8. Click Location, and navigate to the driver.
9. Click InstallGood up to 8. Where do I "Click location"?

Linux3
04-27-2009, 12:05
My Only concern is, I'm not sure if after installing ndiswrapper, if you'll be required to restart.
We'll see I guess. IGF
IndyGunGreak, you are a very patient and tolerant human being!

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 12:17
Good up to 8. Where do I "Click location"?

OOps.. we both had one... .lol.

Click Install Driver, then click Location, and Install.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 12:21
IndyGunGreak, you are a very patient and tolerant human being!

You know, its funny... completely unrelated while TBO works on this..

New guys at work, tell me the exact same thing. I've had guys all me at 3am, cuz they get into something, they really shouldn't have gotten into, and I get up and go help them, and Mgmt wouldn't know any better if they don't notice my hours. I never slam them to other techs, etc. I never bash other techs, etc, even if they did something blatantly stupid. I tell them what they did wrong, and it stays between me and them. I've heard other techs who go out and help someone, and they bash them horribly for needing help, when we've all been there at some point...

I never thought of myself as all that patient, etc.. but there must be a little truth to it.. ;)

NOW TBO, GET WITH THE FRIGGIN PROGRAM! :)

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 12:21
I have all windows closed. Is there a way to go to where I need, or should I reboot and do over?

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 12:27
I have all windows closed. Is there a way to go to where I need, or should I reboot and do over?

Well, if you reboot, you're gonna lose everything you've done... thus why I said this might be difficult from a Live CD. When you go to ndiswrapper now, does it show the driver is installed?

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 12:29
<-----Mr Impatient is rebooting. :tbo: (Doesn't look like I disabled the wireless either, at least not under Linux. It was disabled under Windows).

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 12:34
OK.. TBO.. I think I have a better way of attacking this.... I know you don't want to install, w/o knowing if you can get your wireless to work, which is understandable, but I think thats the only way we'll get this working.

This machine does have Windows, doesn't it?

I'm not a huge fan of Wubi, but in this case, I'm going to make an exception. Basically, you could use Wubi, to install Ubuntu, from Inside Windows... If for some reason you can't get it to work, then removing Linux, would be as simple as going to Control panel-add/remove programs, remove wubi, and you're done. Think of it as "ubuntu.exe"

http://wubi-installer.org/

Once Ubuntu is installed via Wubi, boot it, and try to get your wireless working. If you can get it working, then you can do one of two things.. Remove Wubi, and then do a traditional Ubuntu install(which I would recommend), or 2. Just keep using Wubi.

Lemme know what you think

IGF

MavsX
04-27-2009, 12:35
yeah man IFG is awesome. He has helped me a bunch on my NC6000 via PM's. Hip Hip Horay!

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 12:35
Yeah, when I was referring to disabling the wireless device in the BIOS.. usually you have to hit Delete, F1, F2, etc, as the laptop boots... then you'll get some menus.. go through the menus and see if you see an option for disabling onboard WAN..

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 12:38
OOps.. we both had one... .lol.

Click Install Driver, then click Location, and Install.

IGF

Where do I do that?

http://i41.tinypic.com/1z3ce4p.jpg

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 12:40
yeah man IFG is awesome. He has helped me a bunch on my NC6000 via PM's. Hip Hip Horay!

In grade school, they asked us "If how much money you made didn't matter, what would you want to do", and that was supposed to be the career path you chose... Mine would definitely be either teaching people about guns, or teaching people about computers. I really enjoy both, and do both as often as possible.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 12:41
Where do I do that?

http://i41.tinypic.com/1z3ce4p.jpg

damn, I missed a couple steps in there...

Go to System/Admin/Windows Wireless Drivers
Click Install Driver
Click Location, and navigate to the INF driver file you have... then close it.

Did you get the onboard wireless disabled?

IGF

TBO
04-27-2009, 12:47
I'm going to go back to Windows BIOS and see if I can kill that damn wireless, then I'll tackle your latest suggestion.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 12:54
I'm going to go back to Windows BIOS and see if I can kill that damn wireless, then I'll tackle your latest suggestion.

Not the Windows BIOS.

The Actual BIOS for the computer.

TBO
04-27-2009, 13:11
This time I think I killed the wireless, don't see the green antenna icon.

Installing inside of Windows now.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 13:16
This time I think I killed the wireless, don't see the green antenna icon.

Installing inside of Windows now.

Well there's progress... The easy way to double check, is when you're done installing via Wubi.. and you reboot to get into Ubuntu.. make sure the trendnet thing is disconnected, if it is.. Simply see if you can see wireless networks. If you can't, then you did it.

Then just follow what I said about making sure the CD is available as a repository, insert the CD, and let it do its thing, then go from there w/ Ndiswrapper.

IGF

MavsX
04-28-2009, 12:45
Try this.....

Click the Wireless Tab

IGF

Hey man. I'm assuming nm-applet means nm-editor ?

cause that is what i got. nm-editor 0.6.6

And i'm runnning ubuntu 8.04

Anyway. So i disabled encryption on my AP and when i reboot i get automatically connected to my AP.

When there is encryption on my AP. It prompts me for a password (WPA2).

When i right click the nm-applet/editor this is what is listed:

'enable networking'
'enable wireless'
'connection information'
'edit wireless networks'
'about'

I'm assuming that what you meant was to click on 'edit wireless networks'

When i do that a windows pops up called 'wireless networks'

on the left it shows the network. the ssid is spelled right. Its easy "skynet" ,

as far as properties

there is:

name
bssids
last used
security (which shows WPA2)
password:, which is correct. Since i can get online when i type it in, and there is an option for showing the password to make sure it it spelled right.

Type of encryption is just 'automatic'

Thats it, no option to save password. There is however an option to 'set password'

If i try and do a manual configuration

i have to 'unlock' the 'wireless connection (with my password) inside the Network Settings applet.

Then from there... Uncheck "enable roaming mode", which "un-greys" all of the wireless options, which are:

"wireless settings"
- network name(essid)
- password type
- network password

"connection settings"
- configuration
- ip address
- subnet mask
- gateway address

Then a cancel or ok button at the bottom.

As far as filling out those fields. ssid is skynet, encryption is wpa2, and then i type in my password. then for configuration i just set it to DHCP, which then grey's out ip, mask, and GW.

Then that doesn't work.

So i end up undoing all that work and going back to roaming mode, which allows me to see all the available AP's within range. But then i am still back at the problem of not being able to save the connection.

so yeah, need any other information IGF ?

i was thinking about burning the .iso's for 8.10 and 9.04 and running a live CD on this machine and see what the wireless does on those versions.

Specks
04-28-2009, 14:26
MavsX - I think wireless has come along way since 8.04. I use to have to use ndiswrapper to get WPA to work. Now there is a proprietary driver that I can use and is automatically offered to me to use. I'd definitely try out the newest version and see how your wireless hardware is handled.

IndyGunFreak
04-28-2009, 16:01
Hey man. I'm assuming nm-applet means nm-editor ?

cause that is what i got. nm-editor 0.6.6

And i'm runnning ubuntu 8.04

Anyway. So i disabled encryption on my AP and when i reboot i get automatically connected to my AP.

When there is encryption on my AP. It prompts me for a password (WPA2).

When i right click the nm-applet/editor this is what is listed:

'enable networking'
'enable wireless'
'connection information'
'edit wireless networks'
'about'

I'm assuming that what you meant was to click on 'edit wireless networks'

When i do that a windows pops up called 'wireless networks'

on the left it shows the network. the ssid is spelled right. Its easy "skynet" ,

as far as properties

there is:

name
bssids
last used
security (which shows WPA2)
password:, which is correct. Since i can get online when i type it in, and there is an option for showing the password to make sure it it spelled right.

Type of encryption is just 'automatic'

Thats it, no option to save password. There is however an option to 'set password'

If i try and do a manual configuration

i have to 'unlock' the 'wireless connection (with my password) inside the Network Settings applet.

Then from there... Uncheck "enable roaming mode", which "un-greys" all of the wireless options, which are:

"wireless settings"
- network name(essid)
- password type
- network password

"connection settings"
- configuration
- ip address
- subnet mask
- gateway address

Then a cancel or ok button at the bottom.

As far as filling out those fields. ssid is skynet, encryption is wpa2, and then i type in my password. then for configuration i just set it to DHCP, which then grey's out ip, mask, and GW.

Then that doesn't work.

So i end up undoing all that work and going back to roaming mode, which allows me to see all the available AP's within range. But then i am still back at the problem of not being able to save the connection.

so yeah, need any other information IGF ?

i was thinking about burning the .iso's for 8.10 and 9.04 and running a live CD on this machine and see what the wireless does on those versions.

No, its called nm-applet.. If you right click it and choose properties, its usually called NetworkManager-applet.

I agree w/ trying 9.04... Wireless has indeed come a long way. What is your wireless device again?... How does lspci identify your wireless device?

I've gotta run, but if you can post your lspci output, I'll try to figure it out when I get back.

MavsX
04-28-2009, 18:52
mavsx@mavsx-laptop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 83)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]
02:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)
02:06.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3/MC3 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Controller
02:06.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3/MC3 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Controller
02:06.2 System peripheral: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711Mx 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Accelerator
02:06.3 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3/MC3 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Controller
02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M_2 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
mavsx@mavsx-laptop:~$

there it is. thanks bro

MavsX
04-28-2009, 18:54
I left my ubuntu laptop at work (doh!) so anything you suggest i will try tomorrow in the AM. I just copied that output from a post i made over at ubuntuforums.org..for a different problem from a while ago....

thanks again fellas

IndyGunFreak
04-28-2009, 21:30
I'm gonna have to agree w/ the suggestion to try 9.04. It looks like that wireless device uses the ipw2100 driver, so it should work under Ubuntu....

IGF

MavsX
04-29-2009, 08:17
alright. I am downloaded 9.04 here at work. I guess i will try burning the iso and doing a clean install. I am also downloading 8.04, so that if backfires, i can revert back.

IGF, when i was going to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 i got a message saying that the vga driver that i was using in 8.04 was not supported in 8.10. Can you check and see what driver i was using in 8.04 is supported in 9.04 ? Because that was my main reason for not going to 9.04 was i was afraid that if 8.10 didn't have my driver that 9.04 wouldn't either. Let me know.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 08:47
The ATI driver may not work, but you should be able to use the generic VGA driver. That should get you a working desktop. You won't have desktop effects, etc, but you can work on installing the driver afterwards.

It looks like Ubuntu not supporting the device, is part of the story. It appears ATI isn't even supporting the device...

http://linuxd.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/even-worse-ati-drops-support-for-rv300-rv500-chips/

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 08:51
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/284408/+viewstatus

MavsX
04-29-2009, 09:00
oh great. G D. Well at least when installing 9.04 it sure is easy. And i love that it autodected 8.04 on there. And asked me if i wanted to dual boot. So easy!

I guess i will read those articles now.

MavsX
04-29-2009, 09:02
well at least this is good news, right ?

"many users report improved performance with the open-source drivers"

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 09:07
oh great. G D. Well at least when installing 9.04 it sure is easy. And i love that it autodected 8.04 on there. And asked me if i wanted to dual boot. So easy!

I guess i will read those articles now.

The install process, is identical to 8.04.. It'll still ask you if you want to dual boot, etc. The bigger issue is, it seems ATI has stopped supporting the device with its own driver.. thus why it appears the community has taken on the task of making an open source one...

Good luck

IGF

MavsX
04-29-2009, 12:29
yeah, i've only been using it for a few minutes now. You know how in XP you can go into device manager and see the flags of hardware that need drivers. Is there anything similar in ubuntu ? Or is there a way to see what hardware is using what driver, and if possible other options that you can choose from ?

MavsX
04-29-2009, 12:34
mavsx@mavsx-laptop:~$ lspci
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 83)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
02:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)
02:06.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3/MC3 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Controller
02:06.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3/MC3 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Controller
02:06.2 System peripheral: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711Mx 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Accelerator
02:06.3 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3/MC3 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Controller
02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M_2 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
mavsx@mavsx-laptop:~$

MavsX
04-29-2009, 12:45
i searched. Would it be in add/remove applications ?

EDIT: cancel this. It is not in there.

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 17:52
i searched. Would it be in add/remove applications ?

EDIT: cancel this. It is not in there.

There used to be something called Hardware Info, but I'm not seeing it now. So you're in 9.04, is anything not working? You can check Sys/Admin/Hardware Drivers, and see if there's any restricted drivers in use.. I'm guessing there is for, at least, your wireless device.

I'll try to find what I was looking for...

IGF

MavsX
04-29-2009, 17:59
yeah I'm on 9.04 now. when i check for hardware drivers. it searches and then it displays the hardware drivers box. and says no proprietary drivers in use.

MavsX
04-29-2009, 18:02
which speaking of drivers my wifi works fine out of the box as does my wired connection which i was using at work earlier today.

i think i am mainly concerned about the VGA. *which actually seem fine* so maybe i should wait till i have an issue.

my mouse is kinda messing up when using the touch pad. Any idea ? with that ?

i have to use the little purple built in mouse thing between the G and the H key.

So yeah, let's focus more on the mouse issue.

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 18:11
which speaking of drivers my wifi works fine out of the box as does my wired connection which i was using at work earlier today.

i think i am mainly concerned about the VGA. *which actually seem fine* so maybe i should wait till i have an issue.

my mouse is kinda messing up when using the touch pad. Any idea ? with that ?

i have to use the little purple built in mouse thing between the G and the H key.

So yeah, let's focus more on the mouse issue.

Well, first... I'm not sure it will ahve the information you want (its more or less just a graphical lspci, but a tad more detailed on some things, but offers no additional options, etc..).. you can try sysinfo... sudo apt-get install sysinfo then it will be in App/System Tools/SysInfo

The graphics device.. Can you enable Desktop effects? (Sys/Pref/Appearance/Visual Effects, and set it to Normal or Extra), without errors? If normal or Extra enables w/o an issue, then 3D is working, and you're using a working driver... if it defaults and says it could not be enabled, then you're just using the VGA driver (which isn't all bad as you've found, just no 3D stuff, which I personally don't use anyways)

You've probably already tried this, but The Touchpad... Go to System/Pref/Mouse/Touchpad there's a few options there, you can also try modifying some options on the General and Accessibility tabs also...

What exactly is your touchpad doing thats being an issue?

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 18:36
The only other thing I can think of regarding your touchpad that might help, is using gsynaptics, and enabling SHMconfig.. that will give you a few more options to configure your touchpad...

first, open a terminal, and type sudo apt-get install gsynaptics . Once thats done, You can't use it until you enable SHMconfig.

Looking here.. its pretty easy (plus I just guinea pigg'd myself for you, it works..lol)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad#shmconfig

Open a terminal and type
gksudo gedit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/shmconfig.fdi

It will open a blank file... Copy/Paste these lines to that blank file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics">
<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">True</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Reboot.. Then Sys/Pref/Touchpad.

IGF

MavsX
04-29-2009, 18:54
alright thanks for addressing this stuff IGF. Give me a little bit to digest this and try it out.

MavsX
04-29-2009, 19:02
also, after using 9.04 it definitely starts up wayyyyyyyyyyyy faster. It is awesome. I am very impressed.
;
Also, my WiFi issue has been resolved. I have typed my wpa2 password in once, and rebooted several times. When i log in, it says "wireless network connection 'auto skynet' active: skynet 100%

so that is working. Alright back to what i said earlier. I am going to try what you mentioned above.

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 19:25
also, after using 9.04 it definitely starts up wayyyyyyyyyyyy faster. It is awesome. I am very impressed.
;
Also, my WiFi issue has been resolved. I have typed my wpa2 password in once, and rebooted several times. When i log in, it says "wireless network connection 'auto skynet' active: skynet 100%

so that is working. Alright back to what i said earlier. I am going to try what you mentioned above.

the Startup speed has really impressed me, there is a dramatic difference compared to previous releases.... I don't know how they done it, but it is really a big difference.

Not really sure what your issue was w/ 8.04 and your wireless network auto connecting.. but glad to hear its working w/ 9.04. If you just love LTS releases.. 10.04 will be LTS. I usually just keep current, and I've always been OK.

Edit: By the way, I'm curious about your graphics device... Are you able to enable Normal or Extra, in desktop effects, or does it error out?

IGF

MavsX
04-29-2009, 19:28
i just googled lts. long term support. yeah so far i have no complaints. Of course my primary use for this is to surf the web. But i am sure the longer i use ubuntu the more i will eventually do with it.

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 19:32
i just googled lts. long term support. yeah so far i have no complaints. Of course my primary use for this is to surf the web. But i am sure the longer i use ubuntu the more i will eventually do with it.

Did I read correctly you're dual booting 8.04 and 9.04?

IGF

MavsX
04-29-2009, 19:40
Well, first... I'm not sure it will ahve the information you want (its more or less just a graphical lspci, but a tad more detailed on some things, but offers no additional options, etc..).. you can try sysinfo... sudo apt-get install sysinfo then it will be in App/System Tools/SysInfo

pretty cool. You are right, not really a lot of information. but the gui is also nice. Especially for a noob.

The graphics device.. Can you enable Desktop effects? (Sys/Pref/Appearance/Visual Effects, and set it to Normal or Extra), without errors? If normal or Extra enables w/o an issue, then 3D is working, and you're using a working driver... if it defaults and says it could not be enabled, then you're just using the VGA driver (which isn't all bad as you've found, just no 3D stuff, which I personally don't use anyways)

Mine was already set to normal. I did not have any errors. But i did notice some performance. Like when i would switch windows, say between firefox and terminal or click system menu. It would delay a little bit. Just like in windows when you need more RAM. Speaking of ram, i'm not even sure how much RAM I have on this beater. I am assuming 512. let me check....oh nice 768 mbs. oh yeah, i forgot that i did install a second dimm of 256. This laptop is a beating at work that we were going to take with us to the gun range/camping site and shoot it up. But i decided to make it into a couch web surf laptop.

I went ahead and turned the effects off. I'm going to see how that works.

You've probably already tried this, but The Touchpad... Go to System/Pref/Mouse/Touchpad there's a few options there, you can also try modifying some options on the General and Accessibility tabs also...

Yeah, i had looked at the options in 8.04. I decided to change a few settings like the vertical scrolling and touching twice on the touch pad to make a click. See if that changes anything.

What exactly is your touchpad doing thats being an issue?

I'll repost what i wrote a few pages back for this and quote your question.

IGF

my answers are in red

MavsX
04-29-2009, 19:41
Did I read correctly you're dual booting 8.04 and 9.04?

IGF

no, no. just running 9.04. I mentioned i had the option to dual boot when i did a clean install of 9.04 earlier today. I mentioned that i was impressed that the installer auto detected a prior version and gave me the option to dual boot.

MavsX
04-29-2009, 19:45
As far as my mouse issue. I am using the built in mouse pad thing on the HP NC6000. It only happens every now and then. So i am trying to figure out what is triggering the mouse screw ups.

Anyway, if i move my mouse somewhere(not always the same spot, it can be anywhere on the screen), like say i want to put it on the "post quick reply" below this box. I can move it there, but as soon as i release my finger from the pad, the cursor moves north like an inch or an inch and half. Then i will move it back to the button or link i want to click, and it will keep moving up an inch. Sometimes i have to keep pressure with my finger while clicking the button so it won't move on me! Sometimes i will reboot, and that seems to fix the issue for the most part. I make sure then when it boots up or reboots, that nothing is on the trackpad, so that the x and y's aren't all initialized wrong. Kinda like when you reboot and some of the keys are pressed down on a keyboard.

Also, sometimes the issues goes away by itself. I have experienced the issue using firefox and also just looking at the desktop. And it does not always happen

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 19:52
As far as my mouse issue. I am using the built in mouse pad thing on the HP NC6000. It only happens every now and then. So i am trying to figure out what is triggering the mouse screw ups.

Anyway, if i move my mouse somewhere(not always the same spot, it can be anywhere on the screen), like say i want to put it on the "post quick reply" below this box. I can move it there, but as soon as i release my finger from the pad, the cursor moves north like an inch or an inch and half. Then i will move it back to the button or link i want to click, and it will keep moving up an inch. Sometimes i have to keep pressure with my finger while clicking the button so it won't move on me! Sometimes i will reboot, and that seems to fix the issue for the most part. I make sure then when it boots up or reboots, that nothing is on the trackpad, so that the x and y's aren't all initialized wrong. Kinda like when you reboot and some of the keys are pressed down on a keyboard.

Also, sometimes the issues goes away by itself. I have experienced the issue using firefox and also just looking at the desktop. And it does not always happen

Hmm, I wouldn't have the first idea what would be causing that. I disable my Touchpad and use a mouse.. I've never liked touchpads. My first thought, would be the sensitivity of your touchpad. If its set to be very sensitive, then when you lift your finger off of the touchpad, if you move it even slightly before it comes off the touchpad,.. it could be moving your cursor up as you describe. That seems pretty unlikely though..

IGF

MavsX
04-29-2009, 19:58
Hmm, I wouldn't have the first idea what would be causing that. I disable my Touchpad and use a mouse.. I've never liked touchpads. My first thought, would be the sensitivity of your touchpad. If its set to be very sensitive, then when you lift your finger off of the touchpad, if you move it even slightly before it comes off the touchpad,.. it could be moving your cursor up as you describe. That seems pretty unlikely though..

IGF

yeah i was thinking that too. I installed that mouse app and pasted that code you mentioned. And yes it does show more options. I just basically disabled the horizontal and vertical scrolling. I want to avoid using a mouse since this is a couch potato laptop. Like i said, it doesn't always happen. And i have been very careful not too let my finger slip on the touchpad which would make it move.

But i will check and adjust some of the sensitivity options. Good thinking. A quick google seach, didn't show anything by the way.

So yeah, thanks for taking the time to check out this mouse BS.

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 20:08
Also, if you're able to enable "Normal" and "Extra" on desktop effects, then you're not using the Generic VGA driver, as it does not allow enabling desktop effects. Since nothing is in restricted driver manager, there must be kernel level support of that device, but that is strictly a guess. You're right it might be a tad slow, depending on the age of the laptop, etc. My desktop is set to extra, and runs perfect.. my laptop and AAO, are set to none, both will run w/ Effects enabled, but it will cause a slowdown, especially on the AAO... I'm just not one of these people that has to show off a spinning desktop, but I did think it was cool for about 3hrs.. ;)

IGF

MavsX
04-29-2009, 20:18
yeah it will enable. Its cool. I don't really care about effects.

BigSexy
04-29-2009, 20:36
The install process, is identical to 8.04.. It'll still ask you if you want to dual boot, etc. The bigger issue is, it seems ATI has stopped supporting the device with its own driver.. thus why it appears the community has taken on the task of making an open source one...

Good luck

IGF

I fought with the ATI driver for a little bit. Finally got it working though. Video is a little choppy in Firefox at 1400x1050 on a t41.

--edit
disabling the "effects" seems to have cured this.
--exit 0

The network is the next obstacle. Damn wireless is randomly disconnecting. I -might- have fixed it by forcing it to use "G" only. It's been connected for about 15min solid now.

Time will tell. I need to pick up another laptop for the wife so i can keep Linux on this one...it's kinda handy.

OT

I work as a Linux admin for an insurance company. Occasionally I VPN for various reasons...it kills me that we have to use a windows machin to VPN in, then have to use putty to jack in to our servers...

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2009, 20:49
I fought with the ATI driver for a little bit. Finally got it working though. Video is a little choppy in Firefox at 1400x1050 on a t41.

--edit
disabling the "effects" seems to have cured this.
--exit 0

The network is the next obstacle. Damn wireless is randomly disconnecting. I -might- have fixed it by forcing it to use "G" only. It's been connected for about 15min solid now.

Time will tell. I need to pick up another laptop for the wife so i can keep Linux on this one...it's kinda handy.

OT

I work as a Linux admin for an insurance company. Occasionally I VPN for various reasons...it kills me that we have to use a windows machin to VPN in, then have to use putty to jack in to our servers...

ATI is a pain.. When I first started trying to use Linux (Fedora 5, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu 5.10), I had an ATI card, and it was a pain in the neck. Most of them, the Live CD would not boot at all. When I built my next PC after that one, I used an Nvidia card because I'd heard those were far easier w/ Linux. It worked perfectly on every live CD I've ever used. So now when I build my desktops, its only Nvidia. The laptops I have w/ the Intel graphics, seem to work fine w/ Linux. I've all but abandoned ATI, so I couldn't go much further into helping someone w/ that....

Video playback is a good point... Mavsx.. How is your video playback on, for example, Youtube.

Now as for your wireless... I went back through the thread, and didn't see where you mentioned your wireless device... Which one is it? If I can help, I will.. if I can't, I might be able to point you somewhere.

IGF

MavsX
04-30-2009, 07:18
as far as your thoughts of ATI vs Nvidia. I am in the same boat as you. And so is a guy i work with. We are just getting sick and tired of dealing with ATI, and we are talking about windows boxes. God forbid we tried to use that hardware on a linux box. But yeah, i've said and so has my buddy i work with, that our next computer builds and from now on...only nvidia hardware. Screw ATI.

as far as your question IGF, I turned the effects off. Youtube playback seems okay. The first video i watched was all choppy and the sound was all jacked up, but i think that was because the computer was freezing due to the video being all choppy. I think that was before i turned the effects off. I turned the effects off because i did notice some performance issue similar to not having enough ram in windows and changing to different windows, and the machine freezing up a bit.

I'll let you know more tonight, I only tested youtube for a few videos last night to make sure my flash player install went okay. Which it did.

MavsX
04-30-2009, 19:12
youtube seems to work fine for me. using ubuntu 9.04 without any proprietary drivers being used.

IndyGunFreak
04-30-2009, 19:50
youtube seems to work fine for me. using ubuntu 9.04 without any proprietary drivers being used.

I was in the support channel tonight, and a lot of people were reporting problems w/ the Intel 39xx wireless device not working... not sure if it was after an update or what, but it was several..

I didn't see anyone mention the 2100.. just thought I'd make you aware..

IGF

denfoote
05-01-2009, 14:37
I did the network upgrade from Hardy.
So far, it works great!!

BTW IGF, I finally nuked windooze from space and am completely Linux.

My wife is slowly using it more and more.

Most things work, but there are some glitches, like the wife uses Yzak chat.

I installed it under Wine, but it still does not work right.

The Yahoo server is supposed to send an authentication code that you retype in to get into chat, but the code is not getting through!!

It's got me puzzled!!

IndyGunFreak
05-03-2009, 17:51
I did the network upgrade from Hardy.
So far, it works great!!

BTW IGF, I finally nuked windooze from space and am completely Linux.

My wife is slowly using it more and more.

Most things work, but there are some glitches, like the wife uses Yzak chat.

I installed it under Wine, but it still does not work right.

The Yahoo server is supposed to send an authentication code that you retype in to get into chat, but the code is not getting through!!

It's got me puzzled!!

9.04 appears is about as solid as they come from what I can tell. Glad to hear your having reasonable success with it.

I'm not really familiar w/ Yzack.. but Just looking through Wine's application database, there's not even a listing for it, so I'm guessing it would be quite a project.

IGF

g29andy
05-03-2009, 19:24
9.04 running smoothly on my Dell Latitude X1 (dual boot with XP Pro sp3). The wireless card is a built in Intel PRO 2200

I installed on a XP only laptop, went without a hitch.

BigSexy
05-04-2009, 09:19
I did some digging online, it looks like the wireless issue I was experience has something to do with debian and WPA encryption. I opened up the network to test and it connected faster and didn't drop once.

I'll survey the devices on the network and see what other encryption options are viable.

MavsX
05-04-2009, 09:27
wpa 2 ?

Linux3
05-04-2009, 10:54
I did some digging online, it looks like the wireless issue I was experience has something to do with debian and WPA encryption. I opened up the network to test and it connected faster and didn't drop once.

I am not a fan of NetworkManager.
I switched to WiCD and find it much faster and a lot more flexible for WPA. That is it actually works.
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

If you add your own profile in /etc/wicd/encryption/templates
The thing that is not real obvious is that you need to do 2 things.
1) add the file for the new profile in templates and
2)edit the 'active' file and add the template name.

IndyGunFreak
05-04-2009, 13:39
I am not a fan of NetworkManager.
I switched to WiCD and find it much faster and a lot more flexible for WPA. That is it actually works.
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

If you add your own profile in /etc/wicd/encryption/templates
The thing that is not real obvious is that you need to do 2 things.
1) add the file for the new profile in templates and
2)edit the 'active' file and add the template name.

Honestly, I have never understood why they don't implement wicd into Gnome.... It is way better than Network manager.

IGF

g29andy
05-04-2009, 17:00
I use wpa2 on my home network. No connection problems here, using network manager.

MavsX
05-05-2009, 05:53
I was in the support channel tonight, and a lot of people were reporting problems w/ the Intel 39xx wireless device not working... not sure if it was after an update or what, but it was several..

I didn't see anyone mention the 2100.. just thought I'd make you aware..

IGF

Yeah thanks for looking out. No problems whatsoever with my WiFi and ubuntu 9.04. Never dropped once. WPA2, linksys ".n" access point.

IndyGunFreak
05-05-2009, 06:48
Yeah thanks for looking out. No problems whatsoever with my WiFi and ubuntu 9.04. Never dropped once. WPA2, linksys ".n" access point.

I'm not really sure what happened... I think an update must have messed up the Intel driver or something. I've saw a few suggest switching to ndiswrapper until the matter is resolved. I've only seen it as an issue w/ the 39xx series.. nothing else.

Very weird.

IGF

MavsX
05-11-2009, 12:09
my mouse is all screwy sometimes. Makes me want to take the laptop and put some holes in it.

Because i use this only for couch surfing, it makes it useless. I have been using the arrow keys when it is acting up.

Any ideas?

HP NC 6000 , The problem is when using the touchpad usually in firefox, sometimes just the desktop. I move my finger using the touchpad and when i lift my finger up to then click the button, the mouse cursor moves back to where it started, or maybe not to where it started, but moves north about 2 inches. I am not dragging my finger or doing anything like that.

I think i even turned down the sensitivity under mouse controls.

??

IndyGunFreak
05-20-2009, 16:56
I was helping someone w/ Frostwire last night, and ran into some significant problems.. which is unusual, because usually it works just fine.. There's apparently a problem w/ the way the new version of Frostwire (4.18) is packaged for Ubuntu and Debian... I'm not sure if there's an issue with the Redhat packages or not... Its not super hard to fix, but required some thought.... I don't know how many of you use this program, but thought some might benefit.

Anyways.. Here's the solution.

1. Go to Frostwire.com and click download now, to download the Ubuntu.deb After that is done, backspace to frostwire.com again, and click "Download for other Systems"... and download the "tarball"

2. You need to make sure you have java installed. Open Synaptic Package Manager (System/Admin/Synaptic Package Manager), and make sure Java is installed. In the quick search, type "sun-java6".. you need to have these 2 packages installed.. sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-bin. If those are not installed, right click them, mark for installation, and click Apply to install them. If you want to install the java plugin for Firefox, this is as good a time to install it as any, mark the sun-java6-plugin for install, mark and apply to install it.

3. Once thats done... Close Synaptic, and if you've not already attempted to install Frostwire, double click the Frostwire.deb file that you downloaded, and let it go through its install process... You can try to start Frostwire now(Applications/Internet/Frostwire) and see if it works, but you'll probably get an error asking you to send a crash report.

4. Double click the Frostwire .tar file that you downloaded, and extract that. Once the folder is extracted.. right click it and click rename, and change the name to "frostwire"

5. Open a terminal
6. Type "gksudo nautilus" no quotes, then when prompted, enter your password. This will open up a file browser w/ root privliges.
7. Click File System on the left, and navigate to /usr/lib.. Your lib folder probably has a ton of crap in it.. so it may take a second to load.
8. Go through the /usr/lib and find the "frostwire" folder. Right click it and Delete it.
9. Cut/Paste the "frostwire" folder you extracted from the .tar file, into /usr/lib, then close Nautilus.
10. Frostwire should work now.. (Applications/Internet/Frostwire)...

Hope that helps anyone having an issue w/ it.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
05-20-2009, 16:58
my mouse is all screwy sometimes. Makes me want to take the laptop and put some holes in it.

Because i use this only for couch surfing, it makes it useless. I have been using the arrow keys when it is acting up.

Any ideas?

HP NC 6000 , The problem is when using the touchpad usually in firefox, sometimes just the desktop. I move my finger using the touchpad and when i lift my finger up to then click the button, the mouse cursor moves back to where it started, or maybe not to where it started, but moves north about 2 inches. I am not dragging my finger or doing anything like that.

I think i even turned down the sensitivity under mouse controls.

??

I've still not figured out your mouse issue...and have not read anyone else having a similar problem...

IGF

MavsX
05-20-2009, 19:03
I've still not figured out your mouse issue...and have not read anyone else having a similar problem...

IGF

well thanks for looking out. I know man. It is so annoying. It is doing it right now. The mouse is basicall worthless. I am just using the keyboard for everything. I mean, it is not a total lose. I mean it's linux...it's free. I can't complain.

I was literally going to take this laptop from work and go shoot it with my .40 or a shotgun. But decided to try and use it for a couch potato laptop.

Well if you ever hear anything let me know! I've searched ubuntu forums.org before...Didn't really find anything.

dotsun
05-25-2009, 14:58
Hey IGF, does Ubuntu have remote desktop software installed by default? If not can you recommend one?

IndyGunFreak
05-25-2009, 20:15
Hey IGF, does Ubuntu have remote desktop software installed by default? If not can you recommend one?

There's actually several options, but I have exactly zero experience dealing with them....

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/share-your-ubuntu-desktop-using-remote-desktop.html

IGF

Linux3
05-26-2009, 08:04

You might want 'vnc'.
It's not installed by default but is available for the usual Ubuntu repos.

But, if you are connecting to a Windows Server 200X system that has the Windows Remote Desktop server on it, and I do, I use 'rdesktop'.

VNC has to be installed on both systems.
Rdesktop is just installed on a Linux system and will connect to MS Remote Desktop Server.

dotsun
05-26-2009, 11:44
You might want 'vnc'.
It's not installed by default but is available for the usual Ubuntu repos.

But, if you are connecting to a Windows Server 200X system that has the Windows Remote Desktop server on it, and I do, I use 'rdesktop'.

VNC has to be installed on both systems.
Rdesktop is just installed on a Linux system and will connect to MS Remote Desktop Server.

I'll give vnc a try. I'm pretty familiar with rdesktop, I use it all the time. I'm looking for a way to remotely control this ubuntu box that won't have a monitor.

dotsun
05-26-2009, 11:51
There's actually several options, but I have exactly zero experience dealing with them....

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/share-your-ubuntu-desktop-using-remote-desktop.html

IGF

Cool, looks like what I need and then vnc viewer on my other linux box.