No post about spring Gobblers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No post about spring Gobblers?

havensal
04-23-2009, 10:05
Anyone else ready for Gobblers?

I can't wait. :supergrin:

I am taking a friends 15yo out for the first time this weekend for the early youth hunt.
I hope I don't let him down. I can't carry a gun, so my Canon may get some action.

I have been hunting turkey for 15 years, but was never "taught" how to hunt them. I just learned from trial and error.

I have never taken a monster, just average.

All my hunting has been in the higher elevations, with no fields available.

I have some different land to hunt this year. Shows good signs of birds.

Nothing gets the heart pounding like a gobble at first light on opening day. :cool:

paynter2
04-26-2009, 07:29
Last Thursday a friend shot a 24.5# gobbler. I don't have any pictures (yet) or info (beard length).

The friend is in a wheel chair. He shot a couple of bucks last year too. He hunts duck and geese and does a lot of fishing. He's an amazing guy.

Tax Lawyer
04-26-2009, 08:40
It's coming this Friday.....

havensal
04-26-2009, 11:59
What an awesome morning!

We went out Friday night to tuck the birds in, but didn't hear anything. I was going to go to a different place Saturday morning, but he wanted to try "his" spot out.

We get out before sun-up and wait for the gobbles to start. We got a big NOTHING for the day. Not a peep.

This morning I decide to take him to my hunting grounds. Again we get out before dawn. This time we hear a gobble first thing. As we move down to get in better position, another gobble, this time closer. We move in as close as I dare and wait a bit. Another gobble. This time to the right more. I thought the one bird was on the move, but it turns out we had three birds down below us, two within 200 yds. I let out a light tree yelp and they both reply. I thought it was perfect. Two gobblers gonna race in to get to the "hen" first. You couldn't ask for a better setup. We listened to them go a few more times while I waited for the sun to rise. Another tree yelp to let them know I was still there and they responded.

After a few more gobbles they shut right up. Never heard or saw them again. The only thing I can think of was there were hens down below that we couldn't hear. After a while we moved down to call in the farthest bird. He would respond, but hung up out of range. After about a half hour I decided to head out to another ridge and let these birds cool off for a while.

We heard nothing on the other ridge and decided to try our luck back where we started. We sat down about 9:00 and started calling. Nothing. About 9:15 I was thinking that we were wasting out time and if we left at 9:30 I could have him home in time for church. A few yelps later I hear a faint cluck. Sounded more like a hunter than a turkey to me. I told him that there was either a turkey up above us or a hunter practicing for this weekends outing. I let out a few clucks and some purrs just in case. As the sound grew closer I suddenly realized it was in fact a turkey. I told him to get his veil on and turn and face up the hill to where I thought the birds will most likely cross. Suddenly the turkey started down the hill instead of across. I told him he would have to turn and face across the hill. He turns as much as the tree he was sitting against would let him. As soon as I heard the bird walking I realized it was down even farther. I was about to say something when I saw the bright red head. I said "there it is". He turns to me and puts his hands in the air and says "I can't see it". :faint: I am looking at this bird thinking I would have a great shot. He finally sees the bird but he can't swing his gun in that direction. I told him "as soon as the turkey gets behind a tree, swing over and get ready. I told him that it is about 50 yards away and if it has a beard he can take it. The bird takes a few steps closer and freezes. He has his gun up, sees a beard, but there's a tree blocking his shot. I'm telling him to take the shot as soon as it's clear because that bird is gonna' be gone any second. He still can't get a clean shot. The bird starts to head back up and away, he's spooked. I say "take the shot if you can, he's leaving". This whole time I am trying my best to keep from shaking so I can cluck and purr enough to keep the bird from bolting.

A few more steps and BANG. I see smoke then nothing. He missed. :faint: Then I see the bird start flopping. I holler over "Go get your bird!" He looks at me and exclaims "I got him, I got him!" The bird is still flopping so again I tell him to go get his bird. We run over and get a hold of it.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/havensal/Zack006c.jpg

Nice bird. I am guessing about 16lb with a 6" beard. Not too shabby for a first.

I told him that it's classic turkey hunting. The bird did absolutely nothing that I expected it to and patience paid off. :supergrin:

noway
04-26-2009, 13:59
I took a short beard jake a little over a month ago during our opening. I posted pictures here in this forum.

Today wrapped up the season for spring turkeys and I missed on a 5-7" or so beard turkey yesterday morning. I had to crawl around some brush and tried to shoot the bird on my stomach at the bird standing 35ish yards away.

Today, I only saw hens and stalked one for about 30mins hoping she would lead me into more birds. Didn't happen.:crying:

fwiw: Birds in my parts are not talking and don't reply to calls, this late in the season.

havensal
04-26-2009, 17:07
Our opens Friday the 1st. I just happen to have that day and Monday off. :cool: I will hunt those two days and take him out again this weekend to fill his second tag. :supergrin:

Did I mention I love spring turkey season? :whistling:

havensal
05-01-2009, 13:03
Here's my first of the year.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/havensal/Turkey011c.jpg

About the same as the other, 15 or so lbs and a 6" beard. :cool:

I like the one tail feather with a section of white. Non of the others had it. :dunno:

apprider
05-01-2009, 15:17
Season ended here April 30. Ended for me April 23 with #5 a 20 1/2 lbs 9 in. beard 1 1/4 in. spurs. Also had a 21lb with 3 beards 9,7,and 3 in. 1 1/4 spurs A very good year. I LOVE IT.

KYJoe
05-02-2009, 10:35
Went out this AM with a friend. He took down his 1st ever. 20 lbs with a 11.5" beard.

havensal
05-02-2009, 17:47
That was about the best turkey I have ever had!

I Skinned the bird and rinsed in cold salt water to help get the feathers off and get the rest of the blood out.

I kept it in the fridge overnight.

About an hour before cooking I took the bird out and dried it off.

I coated it with olive oil.

I seasoned it with salt, pepper and lots of lemon pepper seasoning.

I put about half a dozen strips of bacon on top so the fat would run down and keep the meat coated. Don't wrap the whole bird, it will insulate the meat and it may not get done through.

I mixed 1 cup apple cider vinegar and 3 cups water and put them in the drip pan.

I put the bird in my Orion cooker (http://orionoutdoors.com/products/). I lit the charcoal and left it for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

I turned out moist, juicy and tasty. No gamey flavor at all. It didn't brown down at all, but there wasn't any skin to get crunchy anyway.

I may try scalding and plucking my next one. :dunno:

creaky
05-02-2009, 23:01
My wife's first turkey hunt, written up nicely. She knows more about turkey hunting than I do now. Not that it would take much. She has only recently seen the light on hunting and shooting, but it's working out well for me!

"Why of course you need a new shotgun to hunt turkey's with, honey." :supergrin:

You should have seen the look on her face when we were out patterning her shotgun and she let off that first 3" mag.:shocked: Priceless.

Some of you may find the story interesting.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13343

creaky
05-02-2009, 23:03
Here's my first of the year.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/havensal/Turkey011c.jpg

About the same as the other, 15 or so lbs and a 6" beard. :cool:

I like the one tail feather with a section of white. Non of the others had it. :dunno:

Nice job!

havensal
05-03-2009, 08:30
My wife's first turkey hunt, written up nicely. She knows more about turkey hunting than I do now. Not that it would take much. She has only recently seen the light on hunting and shooting, but it's working out well for me!

"Why of course you need a new shotgun to hunt turkey's with, honey." :supergrin:

You should have seen the look on her face when we were out patterning her shotgun and she let off that first 3" mag.:shocked: Priceless.

Some of you may find the story interesting.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13343

That's awesome! Great read. :wavey:

DJ Niner
05-04-2009, 00:58
Came across a few birds today while on a "camera safari" for other critters. The photo looks a little weird because I had left the camera on the Vivid color setting after shooting pix of something else.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9734/turkeys1200x750.jpg