going to downtown tampa..how is the crime [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : going to downtown tampa..how is the crime

boarhunter
04-23-2009, 10:15
Im going to spend 2 days at tampa and I staying at the embassy suites in down town tampa. my faimly and i going to bush gardens and the aquarium down town .. do i need to duel carry G29 or my pocket keltec 380 will be ok...i herd parts is real crappy. Thanks john B, Port saint lucie FL

SiberianErik
04-23-2009, 10:31
The area around Busch Gardens is OK, we have stayed there a few times and never had a problem. It is your basic tourist trap place so just lock your hotel room, use the safe provided, etc..

We did get lost coming home and ended up down by the Port, now that was a dicey area.

Make sure you stop by the free beer pavilion while in the park :) they have alot of cool beer that is not on the market yet. We just went to the BG in San Diego.. it was OK but no Universal.. thats for sure

JerryVO
04-23-2009, 11:58
Unfortunately no more free beer at the Hospitality House (Budget Cuts) The area downtown where you are staying is a nice area and the aquarium is next to the cruise ship port (not the scary industrial port mentioned above) and an upscale nightlife spot (Channelside) so you will be OK there. Bush gardens itself is OK, but the area around it is kind of hood like with hookers and run down buildings. As long as you go to the park and go home you will be OK... but I would not hang out around bush gardens.

Most of downtown tampa is good. The dicey area is when you get north of downtown starting at Ybor city (nightclubs and bars surrounded bu the hood and the straight up ghetto to the north) Ybor itself is OK... lots of people and police, you just need to beat off the pan handlers on the side streets.

Most of your family restaurants and the like will be in Brandon (Hwy 60 5 miles East of Tampa) and I would definitely feel safe there.

I guess my overall recommendation is to bring your gun and you can keep it in the car when you are at the parks or driving around.

If you have any questions about what else to do or where to eat let me know.

CalmWaters
04-23-2009, 12:04
The area you are talking about is OK, around Bush Gardens is questionable. Make sure you know where you are and where you are going as unfortunately it is only a matter of blocks (literally) to end up in a place you don't want to be. You will know right away though.

I wouldn't worry to much, remember it can happen anywhere, good, bad, wealthy or poor but stick with the odds in your favor.

Enjoy your trip.

40 Cal Joe
04-23-2009, 12:10
If you have a carry permit, then carry where permitted. Stay on the major roads and you should be fine. Although, just outside of Downtown Tampa is a pretty seedy part of town. The Channelside area which is where the big fish tank is, is a great part of town, good restaurants and entertainment. I hate Ybor. Mucho crime at night.

And, yes Brandon has every restaurant imaginable. Enjoy your trip:supergrin:

boarhunter
04-24-2009, 09:11
thanks to the all that posted.. I guess im taking a 2 G26s with us . ...leaving the AK47 at home!!!:supergrin:

JerryVO
04-24-2009, 09:20
Sounds about right... you would only need teh AK if you go to St Petersburg. :tongueout:

djegators
04-24-2009, 16:29
Yeah...if you are going to South St Pete, bring the AK!!

But seriously, the Busch Gardens are is fine. I work in that area, and have never had problems. I would not stray from the normal public places, and would take normal precautions I would take anywhere. You will see kind of an odd mix of people around there, everyone from wannabe thugs, college students, migrant workers, foreigners, other tourists, etc.

Oldskoolfan
04-27-2009, 19:45
I assume Busch gardens does not allow carry. Do they do wand or wave people when entering? Are there metal detectors?

FlaChef
04-28-2009, 10:07
none of the above in my experiences (been at least two years though). Just some signs you can legally ignore.