PDA

View Full Version : Prices on the new Kahr P380

border bandit32
04-24-2009, 10:10
What are you guys paying for the 380 and how hard is it to find??:wavey:

Stripey
04-25-2009, 08:23
I'm curious too.

Also, could anyone comment on how it shoots compared to the Ruger LCP?

border bandit32
04-26-2009, 15:43
I guess everyone is embarrased to admit what they paid for this little booger??:embarassed::embarassed:

cnutco
04-26-2009, 17:02
I tried to buy one from a gun shop in N GA, but they could never tell me a price. I t has been almost a month and still no price. WTH

ex0dus
04-26-2009, 22:32
Ive seen 2 so far at gun shops around here. None were cheaper than 649 :(

Stripey
04-27-2009, 11:40
Ive seen 2 so far at gun shops around here. None were cheaper than 649 :(

I still have a prejudice against polymer pistols. I don't understand paying high dollars for a polymer frame, where the bulk material can't cost the manufacturer $20. My stainless steel K9 can be passed down beyond my future grandkids. IMHO polymer pistols are disposable (after 30-40 years). That is plenty of useful life, but its not going to last forever.

I have a great appreciation for the weight savings of polymer "for a concealed carry" weapon. I think a small light weight 380 is a perfect pocket carry gun. I intend to buy one in the next two years, even. But there is no way I am paying the same $ as a steel gun for one. There are other options. The KT-P3AT is inexpensive. The Ruger LCP is same size and only slightly more expensive. In the next few months Taurus will debut their 2 pocket .380 versions (one with Titanium slide). I'm guessing $350 - $450 for those. I'd hope the P380 settles in at $400-450 max.

CoLoSSaL Uprising
04-27-2009, 13:36
completely agree with you on the polymers. My K40 is all stainless and I LOVE it. But I don't know that I would own a polykahr.

Stripey
04-28-2009, 06:09
completely agree with you on the polymers. My K40 is all stainless and I LOVE it. But I don't know that I would own a polykahr.

It really puzzled me as I noticed knowledgeable folks migrate to the pro polymer camp, especially law enforcement types. I mean these are the same type guys who continue to turn up there noses at any caliber except 45 ACP regardless of the evidence of how effective the bullets in 9 and 40 are. Yet they accepted the glocks and m&Ps and praise them.

IMHO lots of professional handgun owner/carriers have accepted a different paradigm. They no longer look at their pistols as a life long partner. They now see their weapons as temporary tools. Its like they are buying a small economy car for commuting. The function they need dictates a simple design with good milage. Their everyday carry weapon needs to be (1) reliable, (2) effective, (3) as light as possible. They don't care if it only lasts them 10 years; they'll just buy another (like trading in a commuter car with 150,000 miles on it).

And if I was in their shoes, I'm not sure I'd think differently. But for me, I don't need lighter weight. I want the slightly heavier weight for less felt recoil. The steel Kahrs are just as reliable, and even more durable.

That being said, IF and When I go concealed carry, I'll make it as easy on myself as possible. I'll either pack my Berretta Tomcat (32 ACP) or more likely a polymer 380 in a wallet/pocket holster.

ddc
04-28-2009, 08:30
I also have mixed feelings about the poly Kahr. I love my MK9.

But I do wish it was a tad bit lighter so I keep looking at the PM9.

Also, it's wishful thinking I realize, but "I wish" that there was a "K380" offered along side the P380.

Stripey
04-28-2009, 16:16

Also, it's wishful thinking I realize, but "I wish" that there was a "K380" offered along side the P380.

I tell you what I'd like. I'd really like a MK9 with a light weight metal frame. I'd skip the 380 all together.

J T
04-29-2009, 10:08
What are you guys paying for the 380 and how hard is it to find??:wavey:

The real question:
What are you guys paying for .380 ammo and how hard is it to find?? :wow:

dasanii19
04-29-2009, 11:40
I paid $650 for my Kahr P380

border bandit32
04-29-2009, 13:28
I paid $650 for my Kahr P380

DAMN excatly twice what I paid for my Ruger LCP!:shocked::shocked:

I think I'll pass on this little booger!

dasanii19
04-29-2009, 14:14
DAMN excatly twice what I paid for my Ruger LCP!:shocked::shocked:

I think I'll pass on this little booger!

I sold both my brand new LCP's to buy it too. :wavey:

mickys
04-29-2009, 14:49
dasanii19,

Perfect!! You have experience with both the P380 and the Ruger LCP. What do you think in terms of fit and finish between the two? How about the shooting experience? Does one feel more polished from a ballistic's perspective? Any other conclusions/insights? With one being nearly twice the price of the other, what's your take?

Thanks for your time...

MickyS

dasanii19
04-29-2009, 14:55
dasanii19,

Perfect!! You have experience with both the P380 and the Ruger LCP. What do you think in terms of fit and finish between the two? How about the shooting experience? Does one feel more polished from a ballistic's perspective? Any other conclusions/insights? With one being nearly twice the price of the other, what's your take?

Thanks for your time...

MickyS

Hey Micky, actually I haven't received the P380 yet, its being shipped to me right now and should arrive next week some time. Check out this Kahr P380 forum http://p380forum.com/forum/index.php

mickys
04-29-2009, 16:23
Ah, okay... I look forward to initial reactions. Sure hope you like it.

999Glock
04-29-2009, 18:28

If they made a MK45 or even a K45, I'd buy 2 of each!! I just bought a K40 and am really liking it so far.

creativetownsman
04-30-2009, 01:06

I don't see how one can compare those heavy steel guns to the lightweight polymers.

If one intends to carry, if only on occasion, steel is OUT of the question, especially if one's over 50.

And steel is impracticable for the pocket, no matter one's age.

G20-IWB24/7
05-06-2009, 16:37
Saw one yesterday at Ben's Loans in Renton, WA for $559. I was tempted but I've already gotten an HK45 and a NAA mini .22 Short this week. I'd be pushing my luck with the Mrs. . .

coq
05-06-2009, 19:55
I still have a prejudice against polymer pistols. I don't understand paying high dollars for a polymer frame, where the bulk material can't cost the manufacturer $20. My stainless steel K9 can be passed down beyond my future grandkids. IMHO polymer pistols are disposable (after 30-40 years). That is plenty of useful life, but its not going to last forever.

I have a great appreciation for the weight savings of polymer "for a concealed carry" weapon. I think a small light weight 380 is a perfect pocket carry gun. I intend to buy one in the next two years, even. But there is no way I am paying the same $ as a steel gun for one. There are other options. The KT-P3AT is inexpensive. The Ruger LCP is same size and only slightly more expensive. In the next few months Taurus will debut their 2 pocket .380 versions (one with Titanium slide). I'm guessing $350 - $450 for those. I'd hope the P380 settles in at $400-450 max.

I like metal guns, too. But I paid a couple of bucks more for something that wouldn't yank my pants down.

turbodog56
05-07-2009, 07:09
Paid $565 for mine at local gun shop in Collinsville, OK.

Stripey
05-07-2009, 10:22
I like metal guns, too. But I paid a couple of bucks more for something that wouldn't yank my pants down.

I understand you and agree, if its only a "couple" of bucks. The cheapest option is $300 (P3AT) and I'd pay up to $450 for a P380 (or maybe a Titanium Taurus). But $650 is ridiculous. I bought my K9 for just over that.

coq
05-07-2009, 12:38
I understand you and agree, if its only a "couple" of bucks. The cheapest option is $300 (P3AT) and I'd pay up to $450 for a P380 (or maybe a Titanium Taurus). But $650 is ridiculous. I bought my K9 for just over that.

I doubt that material costs are significant compared to research and development of the polymer technology, combined with supply and demand. These are very good guns and people want them. Some do not see the value, so they can buy Kel Tecs. My PM9 is an excellent handgun.

BUT...if you figure anything out, let me know. I'd love to have half of my $700 back!

Stripey
05-08-2009, 08:16
I doubt that material costs are significant compared to research and development of the polymer technology, combined with supply and demand. These are very good guns and people want them. Some do not see the value, so they can buy Kel Tecs. My PM9 is an excellent handgun.

BUT...if you figure anything out, let me know. I'd love to have half of my $700 back!

The polymer frame is made by melting inexpensive pellets bought from a distributor and pumped into a mold. The steel frame starts out as an expensive block of stainless steel. It is then machined down to the precise shape. There is a lot more work involved to carve out the steel frame, even if it is CNC controlled, than it is to mold the polymer frame. So its not as simple as the material costs.

As more evidence to my argument, it was only 3-4 months ago that Bud's was selling CW-9s at $360 out the door. That was, and probably is Kahr's best seller. Bud and Kahr were both making profit at that low price while K9s were $575-600 (at the same time).

However I do agree that supply and demand are the big reason why the polymer frame Kahrs are expensive. But then there only inexpensive small frame compition comes from KT and Taurus (new slim 9mm coming out now). In the 380 market its a different playing field. I guess Kahr had to market one, but it will be hard for them to garner much market share if KT, Ruger and Taurus put out quality pistols for significantly less. As much as I detest the look and feel of the KT, there are a lot of KT owners out there, and they aren't shy to tell you how much they like them. I reiterate my praise of the engineering and design of Kahr's pistols and I will pay more for a Kahr P380 than the others. I just couldn't stomach paying as much for a K380 as I would for 2 Ruger LCPs, or a PM9, or a MK9.

In regards to supply, I noticed in the past couple of weeks my local gun shops have gotten almost overstocked. They can't get all their pistols in the display cases. Maybe the panic has peaked and prices and availability of handguns and ammunition is going to return to normal conditions.

coq
05-08-2009, 10:36
Look, I don't disagree with most of your points, although making a plastic frame that won't blow apart in your hand may come with it's own challenges. All I'm really saying is people are paying what they are charging. That says to me those guns can't be too overpriced.

cziv
05-08-2009, 10:40
This is a very interesting thread! I like my PM9 now that the sticker shock has worn off ($665 out the door) that little sucker is a great shooter and hasn't missed firing a round in about 450 of 6 brands of ammo.

I quit counting rounds but it's about that - I only had one problem with a nut coming loose and fixed it with some lock-tite but Kahr's Tech Support is marvelous and is sent me another one, but it was the black one. I told them I wanted the same one as the pistol I bought (Stainless) and they apologized for the error and are sending one out immediately. I'm sold now, I cleaned it the the other night after the second 200 rds fired and it shows no visible signs of wear at all!

I like the 9mm for the firepower over a .380 acp and I've heard ammo is next to impossible to find right now - it's worse than the scanty 9mm's which are tough to find - not sure though? My brother got shot with a .380 and it didn't do much but thank God it was a FMJ and made a clean exit. A 9mm or .357 JHP might have killed him. (that's all speculative and off topic though)

All that said, if I was getting a .380 it would be a cheap one, they work ok. Paying $5 - 600 sounds steep. You could pick up a Raven or Jennings .380 for under $200 (last time I looked anyway, about 1 1/2 years ago)

recycooler
05-08-2009, 11:51
p380 local shop here in minnesota nib 595.00

Stripey
05-09-2009, 08:34
Look, I don't disagree with most of your points, although making a plastic frame that won't blow apart in your hand may come with it's own challenges. All I'm really saying is people are paying what they are charging. That says to me those guns can't be too overpriced.

Coq

I'm just posting my thoughts; not trying to offend and alienate fellow Kahr owners. I'm overly analytical and typically a bang-for-the-buck shopper. I shouldn't be so preachy. Everyone's got an opinion and a right to buy what they want (for now anyway) regardless of how much it cost. Heck, I paid $680 for my K9 (once you include shipping and transfer fee). I wanted it and I could afford to buy it. Now, there wasn't really any other option for a metal pistol in this size other than the more expensive Sig 239 though. I responded to the OP as if he asked "what should I pay for a P380". In actuality he asked, "what are you paying?"

I look forward to hearing from you and others on how your P380 performs for you.

coq
05-09-2009, 11:08
Coq

I'm just posting my thoughts; not trying to offend and alienate fellow Kahr owners. I'm overly analytical and typically a bang-for-the-buck shopper. I shouldn't be so preachy. Everyone's got an opinion and a right to buy what they want (for now anyway) regardless of how much it cost. Heck, I paid $680 for my K9 (once you include shipping and transfer fee). I wanted it and I could afford to buy it. Now, there wasn't really any other option for a metal pistol in this size other than the more expensive Sig 239 though. I responded to the OP as if he asked "what should I pay for a P380". In actuality he asked, "what are you paying?"

I look forward to hearing from you and others on how your P380 performs for you.

It's cool, I understand and I'm sure I'll soon begin to explore the world of metal pistols. I like to personally endorse the stuff that really impresses me. I have a PM9, not a P380. I chose a PM9 for the caliber and weight, as well as size...I think anything smaller would get lost in my large hand. I would loved to have paid less, but I got a decent deal, and as it was I had a 4 month wait for the one I wanted. I'm not a bit disappointed...it's a very impressive weapon for its category, and I'd recommend one to anyone. The P380 fascinates me as well. The size and weight of these totally reliable and shootable guns really blows me away. I feel these Kahrs are state of the art.

KharToon
05-10-2009, 17:47
$589... I am on my second one. Sold the first one, regretted it and now have my second. Both times just found them sitting in the glass case at the local gun store.

09crue
06-17-2010, 20:08
$599.00 in my area for the Kahr p380...pretty expensive!

brewer90
06-18-2010, 21:31
I just bought a new one this week for $470 at my local store (GT Distributors in Austin).