Vista update error code 80070424 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vista update error code 80070424

betyourlife
04-26-2009, 15:53
This is apparently a common problem with Vista. I have tried everything I could find posted on the boards, NOTHING has fixed this problem so far.

Here is an example of all the things I and others have tried that did not work at all.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/190366-windows-update-error-code-80070424-a.html

I am about to just format the damn thing and be done with it.

Sgt. Schultz
04-26-2009, 17:29
I'm running Vista x64 Ultimate on two machines and I haven't had any problems.

betyourlife
04-26-2009, 17:36

There are many that have.

Sgt. Schultz
04-26-2009, 17:44
There are many that have.That maybe true but they've been running for over a year with barely a hiccup.

RDW
04-26-2009, 18:08

Same here!

betyourlife
04-26-2009, 18:14
That maybe true but they've been running for over a year with barely a hiccup.

What does that have to do with this thread?:upeyes: Did the thread title and OP say, "All who love Vista please report in" or did it ask for a solution to a common problem a lot of people are having with Vista???

Poppa Bear
04-26-2009, 18:19
What are you running for AV and Firewall? When I get that error, I disable both and rerun the update. Usually I find it to be the firewall has prevented a small file to load so the entire thing fails.

betyourlife
04-26-2009, 18:25
What are you running for AV and Firewall? When I get that error, I disable both and rerun the update. Usually I find it to be the firewall has prevented a small file to load so the entire thing fails.

Tried that already. Avast is my AV and Windows is my FW. Tried all kinds of things, googled the heck out of it. Seems like A LOT of people are having this problem. Some of the solutions presented on the internet work for some, but not for most.

Poppa Bear
04-26-2009, 18:47
Have you tried running it in safe mode? I have not run into that problem for a while, but do recall needing to disable something in the background almost every time. Sometimes it is fixed just be disabling the FW and AV, sometimes it is a safe mode requirement.

Sgt. Schultz
04-26-2009, 18:53
What does that have to do with this thread?:upeyes: Did the thread title and OP say, "All who love Vista please report in" or did it ask for a solution to a common problem a lot of people are having with Vista???I was just pointing out that your common problem is not so common, at least on my two home computers or the many dozens that I support.

Edit to add: Where in your OP do you ask for a solution to your problem? It reads like you are pointing out a Vista error and that you're upset with Vista and about to get dump it.

betyourlife
04-26-2009, 22:07
I was just pointing out that your common problem is not so common, at least on my two home computers or the many dozens that I support.

Edit to add: Where in your OP do you ask for a solution to your problem? It reads like you are pointing out a Vista error and that you're upset with Vista and about to get dump it.

So as long as it doesn't happen on your two home computers but happens on tens of thousands of others it is not a common problem. OK then. :upeyes:

The part where I said I have tried everything I could find online to try to fix it and then posted it here for someone who knows how to fix it to post their solutions. Not for you to come and tell me how great Vista is for you. :upeyes:

betyourlife
04-26-2009, 22:08
Have you tried running it in safe mode? I have not run into that problem for a while, but do recall needing to disable something in the background almost every time. Sometimes it is fixed just be disabling the FW and AV, sometimes it is a safe mode requirement.

Haven't tried safe mode yet, will give it a try now.

Sgt. Schultz
04-27-2009, 05:19
So as long as it doesn't happen on your two home computers but happens on tens of thousands of others it is not a common problem. OK then. :upeyes:I am responsible for hundreds of computers in four states, the vast majority of them running Vista and none of them have had the "common" problem you are having. :tongueout:

The part where I said I have tried everything I could find online to try to fix it and then posted it here for someone who knows how to fix it to post their solutions. Not for you to come and tell me how great Vista is for you. :upeyes:Again nothing in your original post even resembles a question, it's a statement to your aggravation with Vista and what you have tried, next time ask a specific question and you may get the solution you need. :whistling:

Sgt. Schultz
04-27-2009, 05:50
Have you tried this ...
http://www.vistax64.com/software-tools/183498-windows-update-reset-repair-tools.html

... instead of renaming the softwaredistribution\download folder move it to a flash drive or delete it from the system.