"OpenDNS" How to get around it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "OpenDNS" How to get around it?

knivesandguns
04-26-2009, 21:56
How would you go about getting around this filter? If there are alternate DNS addresses that I need to input, what are the best ones to use, and how would I do it?

Is this even possible to get around? When the settings are on "high" virtually everything but wikipedia and google is blocked. (Glocktalk is "weapons" etc)

Thanks guys.

UtahIrishman
04-26-2009, 22:03
You'd have to know the IP address of an unknown computer and VNC in, or find a proxy/anonymiser that isn't blocked by OpenDns.

Basically your screwed.

Square Dots
04-26-2009, 22:12
I am not familiar with "openDNS" but if it is truely a dns server and not a web filter, then use 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 for dns servers under your interface settings.

knivesandguns
04-26-2009, 22:17
Shoot....

Square, could you give me a little more detailed instructions on how to change those settings? I'm not too techy savvy...

Thanks

srhoades
04-26-2009, 23:43
Or you could actually respect the owner of the network and cease trying to circumvent their security measures.

Square Dots
04-27-2009, 12:41
Go to Network and sharing center-manage network connections-double click your connection-go to properties-internet protocol version 4- put em in under "use the following dns servers"

knivesandguns
04-27-2009, 14:05
Go to Network and sharing center-manage network connections-double click your connection-go to properties-internet protocol version 4- put em in under "use the following dns servers"

Thank you, I tried that, and it still won't work. Right now, I just have to leave my browser open so it saves the current cookies so that the DNS doesn't take over. If I exit, then it'll filter it.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2009, 14:08
Shoot....

Square, could you give me a little more detailed instructions on how to change those settings? I'm not too techy savvy...

Thanks

All the more reason you shouldn't do it, because you'll likely get caught. Assuming this is at work, is it worth getting fired for?

IGF

dotsun
04-27-2009, 15:43
Or you could actually respect the owner of the network and cease trying to circumvent their security measures.

+1, or contact your administrator for help.

Sgt. Schultz
04-27-2009, 17:07
There are many ways to do what you are asking and I’m assuming that it is your employer that is restricting access … most businesses that restrict the web sites that their employees can access will terminate anyone caught circumventing them, or even trying to do so … perhaps yours has such a policy, is your job worth it? Believe it or not most IT departments know what they are doing and they will catch you.

betyourlife
04-28-2009, 20:53
1) Use a proxy server

2) Update your resume in case you get caught.

Nidob
04-28-2009, 21:08
To quote everyone above...

Don't. Someone is blocking it for a reason/policy. Get you own network/PC/office too come visit us ;)

noway
04-29-2009, 05:40
You can use any of the tunneling features and tunnel around most, if the network security wasn't all locked down. ( i.e ssh port-forwarding , stunnel, etc....)

Why do you need to bypass OpenDNS filters?

Boilers
04-29-2009, 06:35
How would you go about getting around this filter? If there are alternate DNS addresses that I need to input, what are the best ones to use, and how would I do it?

Is this even possible to get around? When the settings are on "high" virtually everything but wikipedia and google is blocked. (Glocktalk is "weapons" etc)

Thanks guys.

I use OpenDNS here at home to prevent my kids from wandering through the internet streets. Start by reading OpenDNS's website.

But, each computer must be pointed to the OpenDNS NAME SERVER. All you have to do is point to some other server OR use a web proxy.

If you don't know what a NAME SERVER or WEB PROXY is, read.

InsaneIrish
04-30-2009, 12:38
I use OpenDNS here at home to prevent my kids from wandering through the internet streets. Start by reading OpenDNS's website.

But, each computer must be pointed to the OpenDNS NAME SERVER. All you have to do is point to some other server OR use a web proxy.

If you don't know what a NAME SERVER or WEB PROXY is, read.

Actually you can do it at the router level and not just per each PC.

pkn.glock23
04-30-2009, 17:27
I would back off your network kung Foo is no match for the admins Kung Foo. Get a pda phone and serf with it.

insanity.
05-06-2009, 02:02
Are you trying to access this particular site? Have you tried just using the site ip? I have never had to go through opendns so not sure if it would catch it or not. Try this http://74.86.143.97/

BigSexy
05-06-2009, 09:11
Use putty to tunnel into a Linux box at home. You will probably be able to bounce out on a standard mail port.

Nidob
05-06-2009, 09:35
Love Putty saved alot of headaches/money for a terminal emu for SCOUNIX and RedHat here.

InsaneIrish
05-06-2009, 10:22
Again make sure this is worth your job because I check my client machines at least weekly, randomly, for stuff like this.

Isaiah1412
05-12-2009, 20:58
Again make sure this is worth your job because I check my client machines at least weekly, randomly, for stuff like this.
I just wrote a script that generates a report every week of all traffic hitting any sites in my client's no-no lists.

Disturbing sometimes, especially the dude who has a thing for donkey pr0n...

InsaneIrish
05-13-2009, 07:54
I just wrote a script that generates a report every week of all traffic hitting any sites in my client's no-no lists.

Disturbing sometimes, especially the dude who has a thing for donkey pr0n...

Us IT folk have a special window into the personal lives of average people.