Bambi- a cold blooded killer! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bambi- a cold blooded killer!

telcom911
09-27-2002, 09:45
Was at the local university today for an LEO class, which was in the same building as the U's natural science department. During a break I was wondering around and found some guys watching video, it was of white-tail (I think they were white-tail)in North Dakota. They were studying songbirds that ground nest on the praire, set up cameras and video to watch the nests, these bird populations are declining rapidly and may be headed for extiction. The intent was to see the birds behavior, etc, etc... What they found instead was half a dozen cases of deer raiding the nests and eating the chicks. This was in widely scattered locations withn a short period of time, so absolutely no way it was the same animal. The proffessor said that this has been suspected for a while but this is the first proof that deer are omniverous(SP?) An explosion in deer populations in the last several decades could explain why these ground nesting song birds are suffering from a declining population. Some of you experienced hunters may have known this already, but I thought I would post this for the rest of us.

Next time some soccor mom cries about deer hunting this is just a bit more ammo to throw at her, DEER KILL AND EAT HARMLESS, ENDANGERED SONG BIRDS!!!!

Hucklebarry
09-27-2002, 10:16
So, we're not KILLING deer...

we're SAVING songbirds!

Cool.

ithaca_deerslayer
09-27-2002, 10:46
Originally posted by Hucklebarry
So, we're not KILLING deer...

we're SAVING songbirds!

Cool.

No, we're not KILLING deer...
we're spooking them away
with clumbsy footsteps and foul odors.

:):):)

bustedknee
09-27-2002, 12:20
They discovered Whitetale Deer eating fish in Virginia!

noway
09-27-2002, 12:31
Are young baby chicks normal food in a deer diet? I can only think of one other animal "a pig" (domestic & wild ) that are omnivorse.

Hogs will eat anthing their mouth can get whole of; chicken eggs, chopped chicken feet, watermelon husk, corn husk, granda eye glass,etc........

A hog is a 4 legged trash disposal!

fajizzle nizzle
09-27-2002, 13:25
Originally posted by noway
Are young baby chicks normal food in a deer diet? I can only think of one other animal "a pig" (domestic & wild ) that are omnivorse.

There are lots of omnivores. Bears, opossums, coons, people, coyotes, lots of birds. Omnivorous deer are new to me though.

devildog88
09-27-2002, 22:37
I am doing my part to save the little chicks. Shot a four point opening day!;f ;f ;f

sooner pete
09-28-2002, 07:33
Not a flame,but i find this very hard to believe.Deer are not meat eaters.

Hucklebarry
09-30-2002, 10:38
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer

No, we're not KILLING deer...
we're spooking them away
with clumbsy footsteps and foul odors.

:):):)

Have you been following me? ;e

m65swede
09-30-2002, 22:20
Originally posted by sooner pete
Not a flame,but i find this very hard to believe.Deer are not meat eaters.

To paraphrase Slick Willie Clinton, that depends on what your definition of "meat" is. ;f

Most female mammals, deer included, eat their own afterbirths after lambing, calving, etc. if you allow them to do so. Not an easy task either as they have only lower teeth; no upper teeth to bite off tasty tidbits! :)

Swede

hank_rearden
10-01-2002, 23:38
the truth be known, practically every animal higher than an amoeba is omnivorous. the order carnivora was defined only because the members in that order are well-adapted to meat-eating and gathering. however, grizzly bears, wolves and wild cats occasionally nosh berries, twig tips and even grass. in the same way, some pigs and primates sometimes eat meat, even practice canibalism. browsers also eat insects, worms, slugs and the occasional downed nestling.

BrianDamage
10-14-2002, 07:18
yep, it happens

Dr. Leonard Lee Rue III discusses some documented cases in his bok, "The Deer of North America"

The deer eating fish were even caught on film

Conrose
10-16-2002, 09:23
I read once that when lions get upset stomaches, they would eat some grass.

DAMN, I WOULD NEVER OF THOUGHT OF DEER BEING BLOOD THIRSTY KILLERS!!
But then again, you are more likely to be trampled by an angry deer than to be struck by lightning, right?

And clumsy noise, I learned to walk with legs apart and never where polyester, or what ever that noisy as HELL **** is.

CanyonMan
10-28-2002, 08:21
Hey Noway... You are right about the hogs... I've watched the domestic hogs eat a dead calf we have thrown over in the pen.

BTW.. 'Noway,'.. how did you last hunt turn out?

The deer thing here, ....... anything is possible i guess. It is a new one for me, think i'd have to see this one.

CanyonMan

DonGlock26
10-28-2002, 09:52
I watched a discover channel documentary that showed a group of chimps hunt down small monkeys and eat them raw!

CanyonMan
10-28-2002, 12:18
(quote):
I watched a discover channel documentary that showed a group of chimps hunt down small monkeys and eat them raw!(end quote from Donglock).

Man, Killer deer, meat eating cannibal chimps, "whew" What in the world is next!

I have had some time on my hands the last 2 or 3 days, and been on GT more than usual, this has all been a real blast. LOL, (respectfuly).

Makes a man wonder if it is safe to go back in the woods.

I wonder what the horses are eating when i'm not watching?
(hope it's not tall thin cowboy's).

CanyonMan

MuRDoC
11-11-2002, 01:36
I have seen first hand a deer eat four baby birds out of a ground nest

Remander
11-16-2002, 23:11
In John Barry's "Rising Tide," about the devastating 1927 MS River flood, he reports that rescuers saw a hog eating a dead woman's body that had floated up on a levee.

Hogs are also known to eat snakes and other meat.

Heck, I have even seen chickens eat fried chicken!

Gravity
11-17-2002, 17:31
Originally posted by Donglock26
I watched a discover channel documentary that showed a group of chimps hunt down small monkeys and eat them raw!

They didn't even cook them first?
;)

BrianDamage
11-20-2002, 14:16
Originally posted by Remander
In John Barry's "Rising Tide," about the devastating 1927 MS River flood, he reports that rescuers saw a hog eating a dead woman's body that had floated up on a levee.

Hogs are also known to eat snakes and other meat.

Heck, I have even seen chickens eat fried chicken!

what do you think you do with your dead chickens? Feed them to the hogs.

I've also heard of farmer's dogs having puppies that die, and the farmer feed them to the hogs.