Women! Take a stance! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Women! Take a stance!

WaGlock
04-28-2009, 10:46
Just came back from a range last night and it bugged the HELL out of me when I saw this clown's ass toolbag "teaching" a gang of ladies how to shoot.

every single gal there was leaning way back and never got corrected!

Hopefully a new shooter will glance at this site and check out the link:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Basics/stance.aspx

chris in va
04-28-2009, 15:32
I've 'corrected' my friend's stance many times. She still leans back.

Tailhunter
04-28-2009, 20:08
C's A toolbag ... :dunno:

RF7126
05-06-2009, 21:34
I've 'corrected' my friend's stance many times. She still leans back.

+1, I've pretty much given up. When I pushed about stuff like that, she said she didn't want to go back as it wasn't fun. I guess I'd rather her go than not.

Nicko
05-08-2009, 15:45
Why do women lean back?????? My range has weekly training for security guards, and the instructor is always yelling at the women to keep leaning forward.

Poodle
05-08-2009, 16:54
Why do women lean back?????? My range has weekly training for security guards, and the instructor is always yelling at the women to keep leaning forward.

The reason women lean back is they probably want to be as far away from the firearm as possible at the moment of firing because they are wary of the column of fire issuing from the barrel.

FrogWithAGlock
05-08-2009, 21:02
The reason women lean back is they probably want to be as far away from the firearm as possible at the moment of firing because they are wary of the column of fire issuing from the barrel.

I think you've nailed it.

I personally have no issue leaning forward - I LIKE to imagine stuffing my barrel closer to the BG. Makes me take it a little more seriously, and imagine what I would do if I needed to use it.

NDC187
05-09-2009, 21:36
Just came back from a range last night and it bugged the HELL out of me when I saw this clown's ass toolbag "teaching" a gang of ladies how to shoot.

every single gal there was leaning way back and never got corrected!

Hopefully a new shooter will glance at this site and check out the link:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Basics/stance.aspx

imo, that site improper technique and form.

40 Cal Joe
05-10-2009, 05:30

Certainly agree. My wife did not get over this until I hired a NRA instuctor to teach her. SHe now takes a proper two grip with a slight forward lean. The proper stance also helped with her confidence and helped reduce the anticipation of the recoil. I also load her 23 with 165 grain practice ammo instead of the 180 I shoot. This helps her as well.:cool:

Mrs.Cicero
05-10-2009, 13:57
My instructor brought that up at my first class 14 years ago - women tend to lean back, and he warned us he'd be walking behind us and tapping/pushing lightly on our shoulder if we need to fix that - I've done the same thing teaching other women to shoot - warned them of the tendency and that I'd be correcting it. It's a little more subtle that "HEY, you're leaning back again, lean FORWARD, I said!" Nobody is embarrassed to be reminded, and it doesn't ruin anyone's "fun".
When I teach, I don't move on to something new until the stance is fixed. If you have too many things to concentrate on at one time, the bad stance will become habit and be even harder to change later. Just my $.02
Mrs.C

Cat91
05-12-2009, 19:05
I had a funny thing happen at the local range once.

I learned how to shoot handguns on a ranch when I was about twelve and learned on a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. I've loved the .44 ever since. I have only owned one gun in all my life that will not ever, under any circumstances, get sold or traded off. We have an original ALB-prefix Lew Horton Combat Magnum, a Model 29-3 Smith & Wesson, built in November 1985, with three inch barrel, cut-down K-frame grip, and wooden fingergroove grip panels. We shoot it rarely, and then usually with light .44 Specials. I used to carry it to IDPA Stock Service Revolver matches in an Andrews Leather pancake holster and shoot Specials; it was good for all day and then some.

Every now and then we score a box of Remington .44 Magnums. We take it to the range once in blue moon and let fly with the Real Deal. You've never heard a BOOOOM! so loud, EVER. And a huge blue flame jumps out of the barrel.

So this time we go and we're going to shoot. I went through a law enforcement revolver course in the mid 1990s and the Chapman-style modified Weaver stance has stuck with me. I lean into the weapon automatically to brace against the recoil and shoot two-handed. I have one bad habit I can't shake-I wrap the index finger of my off-hand around the front of the trigger-guard. This stance and grip, combined with the way I use an HKS speedloader, marks me as having been trained by a particular state agency at a particular time, in the mid-1990s; I've been identified by agency at IDPA matches by people who don't know me from Eve that way.

I take up my stance, with REAL .44 MAGs onboard and blast my way through a cylinder in double-action. As I drop the cylinder and punch the ejector with my left thumb, I reach for the speedloader at my belt and only then notice that the packed range is totally silent. I feed the new cylinder in, dropping the speedloader, and take up stance. I methodically squeeze through cylinder #2 in double-action again. This time when I drop the cylinder to unload, I notice people crowding the stall with cameras and hubby's herding them back off us while chatting with this older guy. My hand's hurting, so I decide to run through one more cylinder then stop.

At the end of that I'm packing the .44 and the older guy steps up to me and asks if he can see it. Satisfying himself that yes, it is a .44, he gently lays it down and turns to me.

"I wanna shake your hand! I ain't NEVER seen a woman handle a .44 Magnum like that! Ain't a lot of men can shoot one of those like you do!" He turned to hubby and asked "She got any sisters?"

:D You have interesting experiences with a revolver. I never had that happen with my semi-autos owned over the years.

Miao, Cat

copsgirl
05-12-2009, 19:52
I have been shooting since I was a little girl and I have never leaned back when shooting handguns. I did have a bad habit of it when I shot rifles and shotguns, though.