Upgrading from Vista32x to 64x [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Vista32x to 64x

MIJoe
04-29-2009, 07:00
Greetings.

No computer guru...just your regular user.
Appreciate your input on these questions/concerns:

1. Is upgrade worth it? I normally run MS Office and a few non-PC games (Vegas 1-2, other Clancy, etc.), mostly.

Hardware is HP quad with 6 gig RAM and 512 mb video card.
Can I just run the upgrade w/out having to reinstall all my other software?

2. Will I see noticeable performance/speed improvement? I think 32x settings limit RAM use to 3 megs....and I typically have several programs/files open at once.

I have the Vista 64x program...just wondering if I should install it.

Thanks!

havensal
04-29-2009, 07:14
I don't think you can upgrade from X86 to X64. I think you have to do a clean install. :dunno:

I don't think the performance increase will be noticeable unless you have X64 software.

Is your hardware compatible?

MavsX
04-30-2009, 07:13
i am so jealous of your quad with 6 gigs of ram

Sgt. Schultz
04-30-2009, 19:36
2. Will I see noticeable performance/speed improvement? I think 32x settings limit RAM use to 3 megs....and I typically have several programs/files open at once.You are correct x86 is limited to just a bit over 3 GB and you have 6 GB installed on your computer ... so yes you will see "noticeable performance/speed improvement"

Also you can't upgrade x86 to x64, you have to do a clean install.

sdsnet
04-30-2009, 19:37
The most benefit you will see is the ability to address more than 3 gigabytes of RAM unless you have 64 bit programs.

solomansousana
05-01-2009, 13:41
My desktop uses Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit with 64bit software and Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-940 processor (2.93GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache with QPI Technology) with 8GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4x2048], 500GB RAID 1 (2 x 500GB SATA HDDs) - data security, 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters], and the HP w2558hc 25-inch monitor, Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner, extra 16x DVD player, Wireless N Lan Card, 15n1 memory card reader, 320gig HP pocket mini drive, MS-Office Pro 2007, NIS with 3yr updates, Alpha Shield, Watchguard Firebox, Linksys Dual Band Gigabit Wireless-N Router WRT610, and the HP Color LaserJet CM2320fxi MFP.

Sorry, I know I'm sorta braggin but I just got her today from using my amex points and I'm sorta proud of it.

dvlferdz
05-03-2009, 16:53
Unless you are using specialized software or programs which does not run on x64 OS then better not upgrade. But if you really really want to, there's microsoft virtual pc or VMware program which simulates another OS running virtually inside your x86 OS.

Sgt. Schultz
05-03-2009, 18:42
Unless you are using specialized software or programs which does not run on x64 OS then better not upgrade. But if you really really want to, there's microsoft virtual pc or VMware program which simulates another OS running virtually inside your x86 OS.Why would he not want to take advantage of the benefits of switching to a 64-bit OS?

MikeG22
05-06-2009, 17:45
I'd do it if I were you since you have the ram. I have a similar HP core2 quad with 6gigs of ram and it came loaded with the x64 edition. There is not a lot of reason to not upgrade. Check for drivers for any printers or scanners you may have would probably be the biggest issue.

Isaiah1412
05-12-2009, 20:53
Why would he not want to take advantage of the benefits of switching to a 64-bit OS?
The are numerous programs either are not yet coded in 64 bit version, or which do not properly implement WoW64 yet. Hence they can't be run on anything but 32 bit versions of windows.

grokdesigns
05-12-2009, 21:07
The are numerous programs either are not yet coded in 64 bit version, or which do not properly implement WoW64 yet. Hence they can't be run on anything but 32 bit versions of windows.
It's very uncommon that a 32-bit piece of software won't run on Vista 64-bit. Most vendors ONLY provide 64-bit versions if their 32-bit software won't run on 64-bit Vista (things like antivirus are a good example of this).

64-bit is far more likely to cause issues with hardware if vendors don't provide 64-bit drivers. In Vista 64-bit, all drivers must be digitally signed to install.

It sounds like he has basic needs, so software shouldn't be an issue. I would recommend upgrading to take advantage of the extra RAM.

I say install Windows 7 64-bit!

betyourlife
05-12-2009, 21:11

Name some. I haven't had any problems running any programs, printers, etc.

Sgt. Schultz
05-13-2009, 05:18
The are numerous programs either are not yet coded in 64 bit version, or which do not properly implement WoW64 yet. Hence they can't be run on anything but 32 bit versions of windows.True, but the vast majority are older (read ancient in computer terms) how about naming a few that you've run into because I haven't had any trouble finding a x64 version of any software.

Also there are work-arounds ... like running them in a virtual machine, if the computer can handle a x64 OS it can handle a VM ... which is built into Windows 7 and includes a copy of Windows XP sp3.

ETA: FWIW I'm using a VM on Windows 7 x64 to edit this post ... safest way to access the Internet, I've been doing it this way for years.

Isaiah1412
05-13-2009, 09:51
Name some. I haven't had any problems running any programs, printers, etc.

Something to keep in mind about this (and all computer related posts I make here): I do outsource IT management for large companies, so a lot of my concerns and opinions are related to dealing with dozens or even thousands of PCs. I frequently consider things to be "deal breakers" that might be a non-issue to the average users, simply because it would make it impossible to use a given program in the environments I have to support.

Most of the big programs will work fine, its the little (but still essential ones) that give you problems: converter utilities, codex packs, etc. I recently had a client move several systems to Vista x64 for running Autocad and had an absolute b*tch of a time getting them completely up and running with all their tools.

Hell, Microsoft STILL hasn't released x64 native versions for all their AD management utilities (GPMC etc.).

The VM route works fine, but there are technical and licensing issue which make that prohibitive in a large environment.

For now we're still deploying 32 bit on most systems unless the client has a specific reason to jump to 64. Personally I'm running 32 bit on my work desktop. My main PC at home is a Macbook Pro which I dual boot between OSX (64 bit) and Vista 64 when I need to run Windows apps for work and want to play some Warhammer Online :)

BigSexy
05-13-2009, 11:55
Save the argument, switch to Linux.

Rabbit994
05-13-2009, 13:15
AutoCad has x64 version.

Hell, Microsoft STILL hasn't released x64 native versions for all their AD management utilities (GPMC etc.).

No but their 32 bit versions work fine.

Jdog
05-13-2009, 13:39
Greetings.

1. Is upgrade worth it? I normally run MS Office and a few non-PC games (Vegas 1-2, other Clancy, etc.), mostly.

2. Will I see noticeable performance/speed improvement? I have the Vista 64x program...just wondering if I should install it.

yes, 64bit windows is very fast!. Even the boot/POST times alone really rock n roll.
It should be a hoot to run if your applications are 64bit vista compliant. Yes some of your old non-64 bit compliant games and apps won't work, but will give you a good excuse to get some new "modern" stuff to run.

Sgt. Schultz
05-13-2009, 15:23
Something to keep in mind about this (and all computer related posts I make here): I do outsource IT management for large companies, so a lot of my concerns and opinions are related to dealing with dozens or even thousands of PCs.

I also do IT management for several companies; however I keep in mind that the vast majority of posters here on GT seeking help with computer related issues do not and reply in kind.

I recently had a client move several systems to Vista x64 for running Autocad and had an absolute b*tch of a time getting them completely up and running with all their tools.
AutoCAD has shipped with both x86 and x64 since early 2007. I too helped a client migrate several AutoCAD systems to Vista x64 and the only problem we had was finding drivers for their ancient plotter.
The VM route works fine, but there are technical and licensing issue which make that prohibitive in a large environment

Most large companies are covered under M$ Software Assurance program or Volume Licensing programs, anyhow that won't be an issue with Windows 7 as it includes a Windows XP Mode, which will run XP applications in an XP compatibility box, but make them appear as if they are running directly in Windows 7 itself. You won't have to manually run Virtual PC to run those XP applications once you've installed them; instead, they will appear to work directly within Windows 7 ... this works great. You can also create separate and secure virtual machines as well.

USC Glocker
05-24-2009, 17:36
It's very uncommon that a 32-bit piece of software won't run on Vista 64-bit. Most vendors ONLY provide 64-bit versions if their 32-bit software won't run on 64-bit Vista (things like antivirus are a good example of this).

64-bit is far more likely to cause issues with hardware if vendors don't provide 64-bit drivers. In Vista 64-bit, all drivers must be digitally signed to install.

It sounds like he has basic needs, so software shouldn't be an issue. I would recommend upgrading to take advantage of the extra RAM.

I say install Windows 7 64-bit!
I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and its running great (and I can now take advantage of all 4 Gb's of RAM.) If your going to upgrade to 7 when it comes out, go ahead and take it for a spin, its so stable you can use it as your production machine. Go to Microsoft.com to download the .iso (about 3 Gb.)