Are TV antennas suitable for discussion here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are TV antennas suitable for discussion here?

Thirties
04-29-2009, 16:25
I'm using a Terk HDTVa amplified rabbit ears indoor digital antenna to get my digital signals over the air through my digital converter box. All is well except for one channel (channel 5 in the Bangor Maine area indicates 0-5 signal strength). The images are excellent indeed. so clear, I gave up the idea of buying a new flat tv. I'll keep my 27" Sony.

some folks tell me to wait until after June 12 to see how things settle, transmission-wize, before I get any antenna work done.

I am planning, after June 12, to get my electrician to wire up my attic for coaxial and 110v so I can either mount the Terk up in the attic, or buy a better antenna and have that installed if the Terk is not good enough.

I'm tempted by the omnidirectional antennas for the attic. These look like a plastic garbage can lid. They have 110v and coaxial ports. you set them up horizontally (flat), and they pull in everything in a full 360 degree area (minus chimney, etc.)

Do any of you have any experience with one of these in an attic?

According to antennaweb, all the stations I need to pull in are in the arc between 339 and 49 degrees, and the farthest distance is 25 miles.

If this is not the right forum, can you please direst me to where I might get some info?

Thanks.

MavsX
04-29-2009, 17:55
i think this is the correct forum. I have no idea though. Good Luck man

srhoades
04-29-2009, 19:35
Sure, they fall under "legacy" hardware. And I have no idea either.

hooter
04-30-2009, 00:53
I'm not sure what you need for your application, but there is a lot of good information here. They steered me in the right direction.

http://www.avsforum.com/

Also do a search for Channel Master Antennas. Some of the guys on the avsforum have them rigged for 360 degrees.

fireguy129
04-30-2009, 17:51
I think I can weigh in with some advice, we're an antenna installation contractor for one of the bigger dealers. I checked your zip on www.tvfool.com (http://www.tvfool.com). It looks like you're at most 16 miles from the transmitters. Granted, I used the zip for Bangor Maine, so I may be off a bit. The channels listed in green are able to be picked up with a decent set top antenna, as you're finding out. We generally shy away from the attic mounts for a variety of reasons. One, you can loose up to 50% of your signal strength by going through asphalt shingles, felt paper and plywood. Also, a directional antenna is tougher to aim if it doesn't line up with your roof line.
If I were you, I would look at something comparable to a Winegard ss-3000 for indoor use, or possibly a ss-1000 if you can put it on a corner of your house. Definitely stay away from anything amplified, as you're too close and will overload your converter box and loose the signal. Any questions pm me.

podwich
05-03-2009, 13:54
You've already been to antennaweb.org, but they do give recommendations as to type of antenna for the desired station. Find the most difficult to receive that you want and buy the antenna recommended.

JRS
05-06-2009, 12:54
With 5 bucks in parts I built an antannae. Involved a 2x6, 6 coat hangers, some screws/washers, and a co-ax thingy from radio shack that splits into 2 wires. I get 9 or 10 HD channels, and 1 or 2 analogue. Keeps me and the GF happy. Gets FOX, NBC, ABC...

I can post a pic of the ugly thing if needed. Had a long co-ax cable so it sits out on the balcony.

rhikdavis
05-13-2009, 15:39
With 5 bucks in parts I built an antannae. Involved a 2x6, 6 coat hangers, some screws/washers, and a co-ax thingy from radio shack that splits into 2 wires. I get 9 or 10 HD channels, and 1 or 2 analogue. Keeps me and the GF happy. Gets FOX, NBC, ABC...

I can post a pic of the ugly thing if needed. Had a long co-ax cable so it sits out on the balcony.

Metal coat hangers are quickly becoming or have become obsolete. Ever locked yourself out of your car and tried to find one! Time to hoard'em!!

TrailGun
05-17-2009, 21:45
I tried the omni-dish (with pre-amp) in the attic, but it wasn't
any better than rabbit ears. We're only 10 miles from the transmitters,
so the roof is probably eating the signal.

Our local PBS station is broadcasting their digital signal at reduced power
until June 12 due to budget restraints - can't afford running both analog & digital
transmitters.

I'll wait on buying a new antenna until the stations finalize their setup.

Thirties
05-22-2009, 09:17
Tailgun, I'm waiting as well. Our CBS station is also doing low-power digital with analog until 6/12. And I noticed the Radio Shack omni was no better, even worse than our Terk dig-antenna.

fireguy129
05-24-2009, 08:28
I tried the omni-dish (with pre-amp) in the attic, but it wasn't
any better than rabbit ears. We're only 10 miles from the transmitters,
so the roof is probably eating the signal.

Our local PBS station is broadcasting their digital signal at reduced power
until June 12 due to budget restraints - can't afford running both analog & digital
transmitters.

I'll wait on buying a new antenna until the stations finalize their setup.

The pre-amp can be overloading the converter box as well.

Thirties
05-25-2009, 10:27
I've heard that an attenuater (sp?) is good to have for that reason.

chrismartin
05-25-2009, 10:39
All kinds of antenna goodness: http://www.solidsignal.com/ (including refurbs)

I have:
http://www.antennasdirect.com/C4-Clearstream-DTV-antenna.html
(Got a great deal from Solid Signal on a refurb unit, around half price)

Amp'ed with this:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=CM3414

Mounted in my attic and it picks up everything great and driving 4 TVs. Of course, everyone's area is different and roofing materials can also affect the signal, YMMV.

fireguy129
05-25-2009, 11:27
I've heard that an attenuater (sp?) is good to have for that reason.

true, but you're using the attenuator to counteract the amp. We've installed about 3 attic mounts, they were all heartaches. The outside omni's usually went very well, as long as we had line of sight.

Cali-Glock
05-25-2009, 21:37
The new digital switch over will leave a lot of folks in the dark. I applied for my converter box coupons two years ago and have had my boxes almost two years... but I later learned that no stations intend on being able to reach me or any of my neighboring towns in the sierras. We are not alone apparently the Wall Street Journal and other papers have written a number of articles about those who will be left in the cold.