Aquarium [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium

Wp.22
04-29-2009, 21:56
Aside from gundog who among BOG's have aquarium either fresh or saltwater. Im starting to this hobby for my son since he is enjoying seeing the fishes in our 50 gallon aquarium.

horge
04-29-2009, 23:56
:) :) :)
I've been keeping marine organisms since the late 60's --I was just a child back
then, and I'm soooo excited for your son. Is your 50 fresh, saltwater FO, or a reef?

I'm actually in the process of setting up a nano-reef myself.
Snapshot of some of the little lunkheads in my tank:
http://i42.tinypic.com/34yyd13.jpg

h.

atmarcella
04-29-2009, 23:59
nung early teens ko mahilig ako sa aquarium, dati freshwater lang ang available, from what i can recall, under gravel filters are very hard to clean, ns-b1 air pumps are good quality, dont put pond fishes in a water tank ( from personal experience, my hammerhead shark grew so big that when it swam it agitated the water too much causing my tank to seize....twice this happened, the first time i thought the glass was too thin, i had it made w/ glass thicker than recommended, but still it seized ), dont use regular flourescent lamp, pangit ang labas, their is a lamp specifically for aquariums.... thats all for now....enjoy!

Wp.22
04-30-2009, 00:58
:) :) :)
I've been keeping marine organisms since the late 60's --I was just a child back
then, and I'm soooo excited for your son. Is your 50 fresh, saltwater FO, or a reef?

I'm actually in the process of setting up a nano-reef myself.
Snapshot of some of the little lunkheads in my tank:
http://i42.tinypic.com/34yyd13.jpg

h.

can't see the pic horge: It's a freshwater aquarium with angelfish and blood parrot fish. Planning of having a bigger tank i just don't know where to put it.

The house we are using right now has a L -shaped pond constructed by my cousin i just need some time and do more research about pond filtration. Don't have the budget for those hi tech filtration system im a DIY guy hehehe. Project fish is Tilapia para tipid na.

atmarcella
04-30-2009, 01:02
good filter choice for a pond is a janitor fish, and after that all a pond needs is good aeration.

batangueno
04-30-2009, 01:17
Flowerhorn na lang, mas madaling alagaan.

Wp.22
04-30-2009, 02:16
good filter choice for a pond is a janitor fish, and after that all a pond needs is good aeration.

No janitor fish yet but i think i made a good set up naman that minimal cleaning lang ang ginagawa ko i made sure no dead spot sa aquarium.

@paul- type ko kasi community fish pag FH isa lang sa isang aquarium like yung kay gundog na ang laki ng kok.

Eye Cutter
04-30-2009, 03:44
pot,

i used to have a fresh water aquarium myself, 50 gal. i had different types of fishes that lived at different levels, meron surface, mid water and bottom dwellers. lots of rocks and underwater plants. simulated a pond/river environment.

mtho
04-30-2009, 09:26
doc,
tapos ano nagyari? kinain ng crocodile mo?

i_am_infinity
04-30-2009, 09:45
Parrot Fish?? Sarap nun pan-fried tapos lemon butter sauce with some herbs...ay wow..hehehe sorry OT. Sarap lang kasi ng Parrot Fish eh...

batangueno
04-30-2009, 10:24
Ibang Parrot Fish yun.

Pot, Maraming mga Aquarium sa Quezon Ave. Marami ka pagpipilian. Hehe.

i_am_infinity
04-30-2009, 10:49
Ibang Parrot Fish yun.

ahehehe sorry :supergrin:

horge
04-30-2009, 16:50
can't see the pic horge: It's a freshwater aquarium with angelfish and blood parrot fish. Planning of having a bigger tank i just don't know where to put it.

The house we are using right now has a L -shaped pond constructed by my cousin i just need some time and do more research about pond filtration. Don't have the budget for those hi tech filtration system im a DIY guy hehehe. Project fish is Tilapia para tipid na.

DIY is the best way to go.:thumbsup:
I built a pond filter once, using a plastic trashcan almost totally buried in the
ground next to the pond. Andun lahat: the return pump, the mech filter
(using quilting floss in an easy-to-lift-out netting bag, with some lighting
diffuser grate for partitioning), etc...

Sobra na kasi ngayon ang prices ng equipment.
Back in the day, I used to build my own 20 gal all-glass tanks because
I thought P450.00 was too much to pay. Now I can't even LOOK at the
prices in local fish shops.

Used to keep FW in the 80's, mostly Amazonian fish (Characins, etc.)
Didn't like Plecostemus "janitors" back then (ang papapanget, e, lol),
so I relied on small Corydoras catfish and loaches.

h.

PS: merong buwaya si Doc? :supergrin:

Eye Cutter
04-30-2009, 18:29
yeah! used to have! my brother was given a baby crocodile way, way back, i think it was 1987. set it up to live in a terrarium which it eventually outgrew (of course)! LoL! we transferred it in our pond. Donated Lacoste to a foundation rescuing captive exotic pets and vets got him and returned him to the wild last Dec. 2007. it was around 9ft long when they got him. Accdg. to the vet, it should be at least 14-15ft at it's age. whoa! hahaha!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z105/DocBEye/DSC_5870r.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z105/DocBEye/DSC_5879r.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z105/DocBEye/DSC_5885r.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z105/DocBEye/DSC_5896r.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z105/DocBEye/DSC_5902r.jpg

gundog
04-30-2009, 20:08
pards, hindi ganyan magtali c crocodile dundee or c steve astin. parang BBQ ang punta ng croc. wawa naman

Eye Cutter
04-30-2009, 21:13
yup! wawa talaga. nasugatan nga yung mouth ng mag death roll when the rope was noosed over it's snout.

sabi ng vet dadalahin sa mindoro sa croc sanctuary

sandman_sy
04-30-2009, 21:43
akala ko si Mr. Mulawin :)

atmarcella
05-01-2009, 00:09
kala ko din si kuya kim. lacoste....whahahaha nice name! very fitting!

atmarcella
05-01-2009, 00:11
big time talaga si doc, ka level na ni chavit, mga exotic animals inaalagaan!

horge
05-01-2009, 16:59
Cool grotto...
Our Lady of stunted-growth Crocodiles?
:supergrin:

Seriously, that's some pretty hardcore petkeeping, Doc!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z105/DocBEye/DSC_5879r.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z105/DocBEye/DSC_5896r.jpg

sandman_sy
05-01-2009, 19:54
I have a barkada na up until now.. wow.. Snakes(he has like 10), Lizards, Scorpions, Tarantulas and Crocs... i think some.. i have no idea what they were :) hahahah...

I remember when we were in HK.. he had the guts to buy Emperor Scorpions..Tarantulas.. placed them inside his hand carry. and brought it to the Philippines.. i told him that if he gets caught.. your on you own ha.. we don't know each other :)) hahahahahah!!!

mtho
05-01-2009, 23:00
Doc,
di ba yan namamasyal sa village pag bumabaha?

anyway, since you got rid of the croc, any chance your getting rid of the ferrari, speedboat and bren ten also?

De Angelo
05-01-2009, 23:37
may mga alaga ako..

Lungfish
snakeheads
Pignose turtle

atmarcella
05-01-2009, 23:51
anyway, since you got rid of the croc, any chance your getting rid of the ferrari, speedboat and bren ten also?

whhahahaha is it crockett or burnett?

Eye Cutter
05-03-2009, 06:50
andrew: si crockett may alaga ng alligator! hahaha!
dati yung fence around the pond was not yet that high, then one time bumabagyo, the pond overflowed and the croc was able to jump over the fence and swam over to the other pond/fountain where my brother had red-tailed catfish, cichlids and other exotic big fish. the croc ate them all!

Allegra
05-03-2009, 07:01
whhahahaha is it crockett or burnett?

Elvis is owned by both crockett and burnett kasi they are the same guy
Burnett is Sonny crockett's alias
Rico Tubbs ang partner nya
Yup , Miami Vice fanatic here hehe

mtho
05-03-2009, 07:11
wow, para kang miami vice encyclopedia

Glock_19_9x19
05-03-2009, 13:02
I recall a big aquarium in Miss Universal with a lot of colorful and voluptuous fish with numbers on their waist :)

Allegra
05-03-2009, 17:15
wow, para kang miami vice encyclopedia

kaya nga ako nagka interes sa ipsc e :)
Dahil dun sa Argentinian hitman na ipsc shooter

Wp.22
05-03-2009, 18:04
Thanks guys sa mga info and personal stories about fish keeping.

The other aquarium i visited once ay sa may tabi ng sta. lucia GL yata yun:supergrin:

seriously im looking for a subtrate that i could use either silica sand or other fine sand. When i was in boracay i was temtep to smuggle out boracay sand kaya lang hinuhuli sa airport hehehe. I inherited white peebles stones two buckets at least kaya lang walang contrast eh.

for planted plants plastic muna need to learn pa how to take care of plants dami requirements like lights and CO2.

isuzu
05-03-2009, 19:10
Used to have a Silver and Golden Arowana and a Red Pacu. The Red Pacu was fed dog food. It grew too big that when it got spooked it smashed the aquarium. Ginawang sweet and sour ng hardinero namin. :)

I know of somebody in Bacolod who has a Pirirucu and it has grown so large. Mga 7 feet when he last measured it. He built a fence around the pond because he was scared children might fall into the pond.

I don't want to have a salt water aquarium. Aside from it being difficult to maintain, our coral reefs are suffering because people harvest the corals and sell them to salt water aquarium enthusiasts.

atmarcella
05-04-2009, 00:29
Dahil dun sa Argentinian hitman na ipsc shooter

real name is "jim zubiena".

Valor1
05-04-2009, 01:39
Try this link. Maraming makikilala dyan.

http://mypalhs.com/forums/home.php

Ako kasi I like the arowanas. para syang fire and forget missile. low maintenance at pakainin lang kuntento na. ganda pa ng mga scales pag full grown na.

Wp.22
05-04-2009, 02:06
Try this link. Maraming makikilala dyan.

http://mypalhs.com/forums/home.php

Ako kasi I like the arowanas. para syang fire and forget missile. low maintenance at pakainin lang kuntento na. ganda pa ng mga scales pag full grown na.

member na ako dito sir dyan ko nakuha yung DIY plant box OHF ko

Allegra
05-04-2009, 06:24
real name is "jim zubiena".

Yup , kapanahunan pa ni fafa jeff cooper
Hinanap ko pa yung episode na yun sa Tower hehe
Astig ang draw sabay doubletap sa 2 officers
I also heard he likes aquariums ( to keep this on topic )

3kings
05-04-2009, 09:31
i got a 75gal set up with several frontosa. imho, very elegant yung fish na yun.

pot, i had my aquarium set up by a guy from pca forum. check out mo ito
http://www.pca-cichlid.org/forum/index.php?sid=5266469e432530cfe4ea5e3690046064
try pm fishyguy (angel ampil) he has his own fishy shop in san juan.

batangueno
05-04-2009, 09:52
Frontosa, ang ganda nyan. :thumbsup:

A Cichlid community tank looks great, just make sure that the fish you put into the tank will get along together.

Wp.22
05-04-2009, 19:04
i got a 75gal set up with several frontosa. imho, very elegant yung fish na yun.

pot, i had my aquarium set up by a guy from pca forum. check out mo ito
http://www.pca-cichlid.org/forum/index.php?sid=5266469e432530cfe4ea5e3690046064
try pm fishyguy (angel ampil) he has his own fishy shop in san juan.

eric, burundi fronts din sana kaso maliit lang din yung aquarium ko.

atmarcella
05-04-2009, 23:55
I also heard he likes aquariums ( to keep this on topic )

hahahaha sorry pot, miami vice freak din ako.

Hinanap ko pa yung episode na yun sa Tower hehe

fafa a, click mo sa baba.

click (http://www.thegunzone.com/software/zubiena.html)

Allegra
05-05-2009, 19:11
hahahaha sorry pot, miami vice freak din ako.

fafa a, click mo sa baba.

click (http://www.thegunzone.com/software/zubiena.html)

aha , so hindi lang pala ako natulala sa scene na yun hehe pati mga kano
Natawa lang ako sa 80's fashion
I heard he dryfired using aquarium fishes in 10 gallon tanks w/ gravel filters

Wp.22
05-05-2009, 21:29
i just upgraded my OHF last night DIY style

horge
05-06-2009, 02:27
i just upgraded my OHF last night DIY style

Pics or it didn't happen. :tongueout:

Wp.22
05-06-2009, 04:09

i'll take a picture of my DIY OHF later. DIY come's handy when you have a machine shop in the office for those stainless connectors you need hehehe

domsky
05-06-2009, 05:57
Bro, you can visit Oceanarium at Luneta with your kids...and for saltwater or freshwater
aquarium it is cheaper in pasay cartimar...I am planning to acquire saltwater corals in my aquarium that Iam planning to built this year....

horge
05-06-2009, 15:10
Bro, you can visit Oceanarium at Luneta with your kids...and for saltwater or freshwater
aquarium it is cheaper in pasay cartimar...I am planning to acquire saltwater corals in my aquarium that Iam planning to built this year....

If you're new.... ;)
Learn as much as you can, especially about how certain corals are actually
collected and how they fare in aquaria. Some hard corals are actually
sustainably harvested, while most others are not and furthermore have a
very poor survival rate, representing substantial damage to the reefs.

h.

Wp.22
05-06-2009, 18:00

been there at manila ocean park and at cartimar where i get my supplies for aquarium and bikes

here is me (bruce willis hehehe) and baby bruce at manila ocean park
http://images.plapus.multiply.com/image/2/photos/34/600x600/2/DSCN0876.JPG?et=aUqu1kOx19szvwI0FO71nw&nmid=182602891

Wp.22
05-06-2009, 18:03

Horge i just destroyed my DIY OHF i was drillling for an additional hole 5 peso size when the bottom of the plastic container cracked big time. I need to get a new plant box at ace hardware

Vault Keeper
05-06-2009, 18:44
andrew: si crockett may alaga ng alligator! hahaha!
dati yung fence around the pond was not yet that high, then one time bumabagyo, the pond overflowed and the croc was able to jump over the fence and swam over to the other pond/fountain where my brother had red-tailed catfish, cichlids and other exotic big fish. the croc ate them all!

DOc EC, you know the Vet in the pix? Doc Nielsen D.? He is my classmate in Rotary...sabay kami nag serve as President few years ago...

Eye Cutter
05-06-2009, 18:49
actually, no, noon ko lang siya nakilala. siya lang nagpunta to collect the croc

Vault Keeper
05-06-2009, 23:09
ok, nice guy. Active in preservation of endangered species...(that is why I am under his protectin....):supergrin:

regards!

Wp.22
05-07-2009, 00:57
here is my new plant box OHF. Mya tatlong butas done by the experts using hot metal tube (GI pipe). One hole is for the intake coming form the pump, the hole on the flooring is the return hole and the one on the side is for the overflow just incase. The over flow will be connected to the return pipe via elbows and T- connectors.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/greenvtec/plantbox.jpg

horge
05-07-2009, 01:49
Nice, Pot!
:)

I was just about to recommend melting the holes, if the plastic was too
dicey for drilling, heheh. Neat work they did. Di ba medyo heavy ang OHF
kapag puno na, for the tank to support?

Pic uli kapag merong pipe/partitions na, ha?

Wp.22
05-07-2009, 02:29
Nice, Pot!

I was just about to recommend melting the holes, if the plastic was too
dicey for drilling, heheh. Neat work they did. Di ba medyo heavy ang OHF
kapag puno na, for the tank to support?

Pic uli kapag merong pipe/partitions na, ha?

i will need additional support for this im thinking of using flat bar. Some of the medias i will use bio balls, ceramic rings, pot scrubbers, sera wool and might use some stones.

ahtsay
05-07-2009, 03:42
I have a 200 gal tank. It has a few discus and a zebra pleco. I also have like 4 Cardinal Tetras that has been with me for more than 8 years na. It used to be a school of 40, ngayon 4 nalang sila hehe!
If I were to setup an aquarium, I would like a planted tank with Cardinal tetras and shrimp :)

3kings
05-07-2009, 08:51
If I were to setup an aquarium, I would like a planted tank with Cardinal tetras and shrimp :)

thats my next project too

Eye Cutter
05-07-2009, 10:37
clarence: pics please!

pot: bumili ka ng different sizes ng pebbles and sand sa edsa malapit sa trinoma

horge
05-07-2009, 15:37
clarence: pics please!

pot: bumili ka ng different sizes ng pebbles and sand sa edsa malapit sa trinoma

Ingat lang sa parking, hehe...
You can get most of the same stuff sa Manila Seedlink Bank nearby,
sa lugar ng Bulacan Gardens. Slight mark-up, but the parking is safe.

Tekaa... malapit lang ba si 'Pot sa Trinoma?
That's like 10 minutes away from where I am, if I'm driving slow.

Wp.22
05-07-2009, 17:42
Mas malapit ako sa bulacan gardens since sa pasig ako nag wowork. I already called bulacan gardens and they are selling silican sand by the buckets. Takot lang ako bumili malapit sa trinoma baka ma rear ended yung auto sa EDSA.

Let us BI Doc EC to get a bigger tank and fish

Wp.22
05-07-2009, 19:17
this is where we bought our 50 gal. kahit 2007 pa yung price list same price pa din ngayon. Manila Aquatic center

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/greenvtec/MAC.jpg

Eye Cutter
05-07-2009, 23:03
saan yang manila aquatic center pot? sa blumentritt sa laloma?

Wp.22
05-07-2009, 23:49
saan yang manila aquatic center pot? sa blumentritt sa laloma?

yes doc dyan yata yun tinawagan ko lang tapos pina pick-up ko sa driver namin

mtho
07-13-2009, 12:04
pot,
ano phone number nung manila aquatic center? naghahanap ako ng submersible pump para sa pond namin

Wp.22
07-13-2009, 18:24
751-1269

ahtsay
07-14-2009, 09:09
Doc I will try to take a pic :) Bad news, I lost my cardinals :( My mom placed two comet goldfish (koi daw sabi niya--WHAT??), yun kinain cardinals ko. I'm using an Eheim canister filter, which I would have to clean pala, over one year ko na hinde nalilinis eh.

Does anyone know where I can buy shrimp (bumble bee or CRS) na medyo mura? Meron sa petshop minsan pero ang mahal eh :) Thinking of setting up a shrimp tank.

ruger
07-19-2009, 07:54
execution style ang pag ka tali sa hayop, imagine niyo yung mga tao nag tali niyan ang talian ng ganyan...