MacBook ~160 gig drive 80% full.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MacBook ~160 gig drive 80% full....

.264 magnum
04-30-2009, 07:28
Wanting to install a 500 gig esata.

I have one of those USB to esata gismos.

Should I remove the 160 gig drive install the 500 gig drive and transfer "out to in"? Or leave the 160 gig in place image to the 500 gig and then install it after imaging?

I have loads of connectible storage and backups now. Including a fresh time machine backup.

Any pitfalls?

MavsX
04-30-2009, 08:15
well if you swap those drives out, you are going to have to reinstall mac os right ?

IslandHopper
04-30-2009, 08:54
well if you swap those drives out, you are going to have to reinstall mac os right ?

Not if he copies the installed image to the new drive first ... which is how I would do it.

.264 magnum
04-30-2009, 10:14

I'm trying hard to avoid a re-install.

costanza187
04-30-2009, 14:49
How hard is it to do the physical change in the MacBooks? I looked at a tutorial on how to change out HD's on iBooks, and it requires MAJOR amounts of work and to disassemble the computer down to a pile of pieces. It really looked UN-fun.

.264 magnum
04-30-2009, 22:29
How hard is it to do the physical change in the MacBooks? I looked at a tutorial on how to change out HD's on iBooks, and it requires MAJOR amounts of work and to disassemble the computer down to a pile of pieces. It really looked UN-fun.

It's a three minute job with a MacBook.

CleverNickName
04-30-2009, 22:39
I'm trying hard to avoid a re-install.

Why? I personally would pop out the old drive and install the new one. Then pop in the OS X install disk... once OS X is reinstalled it will ask if you want to transfer data from a time machine backup -- good as new. This is what I would do...

.264 magnum
04-30-2009, 23:03
Why? I personally would pop out the old drive and install the new one. Then pop in the OS X install disk... once OS X is reinstalled it will ask if you want to transfer data from a time machine backup -- good as new. This is what I would do...

OK. If it's that simple I'm good to go with that method. I have made/kept regular Time Machine back-ups on a USB/HDD and would make a new TM backup right before the swap.

Is it really that easy?

CleverNickName
04-30-2009, 23:06
OK. If it's that simple I'm good to go with that method. I have made/kept regular Time Machine back-ups on a USB/HDD and would make a new TM backup right before the swap.

Is it really that easy?

No promises.. but that is how it is SUPPOSED to work. I have always had success with swapping drives.. so good luck. From my experience, time machine is really a technological marvel.

.264 magnum
04-30-2009, 23:16
No promises.. but that is how it is SUPPOSED to work. I have always had success with swapping drives.. so good luck. From my experience, time machine is really a technological marvel.

Thanks very much. I'll let you know how it goes in a day or two.

noway
05-02-2009, 18:32
what are you going todo with your old drive?

orlasttoy
05-03-2009, 21:17
theres a great app called SUPERDUPER which will clone your drive. works great. superdupe your 160 onto the 500 & swap. done. no reintalling needed. i back my mac up regularly onto an external...totally bootable too, so its like having 2 macs!

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

costanza187
05-04-2009, 06:08
It's a three minute job with a MacBook.

That's cool! I am thinking my next computer will be a MacBook!

.264 magnum
05-05-2009, 13:20
what are you going todo with your old drive?

Probably enclose it and use it as a second back-up for pics.

.264 magnum
05-05-2009, 13:33
In case anyone cares -

1. I removed the 1 + 1 gigs of Samsung REM and installed 2 + 2 gigs of X brand RAM.

2. I started the machine and then shut it down after verifying the 4 gigs worked well.

1. I made a fresh Time Machine back-up
2. removed 160 gig drive
3. installed 500 gig drive - 4 or 5 minute job
4. I had to format the 500 gig drive - not nearly as easy or straight-forward as it should have been - it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to do it from the OSX disc.
5. Once the HDD was formatted I did a fresh install of OSX an then ran Time Machine - importing docs, pics, settings etc.

Other than the formatting thing it all went smoothly. It took hours to import all the goodies using Time Machine. However, the computer now runs like a champ. And I have 373.2 gigs worth of free space. The new drive is more quiet and seems to be just as easy on the battery.

.264 magnum
05-05-2009, 13:34
theres a great app called SUPERDUPER which will clone your drive. works great. superdupe your 160 onto the 500 & swap. done. no reintalling needed. i back my mac up regularly onto an external...totally bootable too, so its like having 2 macs!

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Next time I'll use SuperDuper - it's supposed to work very well.