Thinking of trying Linux in Western NY [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trying Linux in Western NY

Linux3
04-30-2009, 17:53
I belong to the Linux Users Group of Rochester and we are having an install fest.
If you live in the area and are interested in learning more about Linux.
http://lugor.org/ifest2009/

Hope this is not out of line for this forum.

IndyGunFreak
04-30-2009, 18:11
Install parties are a lot of fun.

Have a good time..

IGF

MavsX
04-30-2009, 19:13
hahah. nerds! just kidding. linux is awesome

jtm62
05-01-2009, 19:09
Damn. If I was closer I'd love to make the trip to help or learn... Hopefully it would involve more learning than helping. :rofl:

Linux3
05-03-2009, 01:54
Damn. If I was closer I'd love to make the trip to help or learn... Hopefully it would involve more learning than helping. :rofl:
Installfests are a pretty common event for Linux Users Groups.

Not a complete list but have a look and if there is a LUG in your area check them out.
http://www.linux.org/groups/usa/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams

aircarver
05-03-2009, 05:38
Are you installing Ubuntu,,,,, Since the new Ubuntu 9.04 just came out ?

IndyGunFreak
05-03-2009, 05:57

Most of the time, they have people at them who are fairly well rounded, in several different distros... Like a Fedora Guy, a Ubuntu Guy, OpenSuse Guy, Arch, etc.. I'm sure many of them can do more than one.

IGF

Linux3
05-04-2009, 06:48
I would say Ubuntu is the most common distro requested by I personally and the Fedora Guru and we are also doing Arch and SuSE.

I offered to do Gentu but the committee said no. LOL.

Gentu Linux is installed from source code and built on to the target system. If done right it is the most configurable and fastest running Linux distros because it is specific to just your system. However, if you have a fast machine and a lot of RAM you can do an install in about 20 hours. (Joke is not as funny if it has to be explained).

IndyGunFreak
05-04-2009, 06:53
I would say Ubuntu is the most common distro requested by I personally and the Fedora Guru and we are also doing Arch and SuSE.

I offered to do Gentu but the committee said no. LOL.

Gentu Linux is installed from source code and built on to the target system. If done right it is the most configurable and fastest running Linux distros because it is specific to just your system. However, if you have a fast machine and a lot of RAM you can do an install in about 20 hours. (Joke is not as funny if it has to be explained).

I LOL'd before you explained it, if its any consolation.. ;)

I think the other problem, would be that most users would dump Gentoo within days due to its complexity. Gentoo is a great distro, but it is complex, and you should spend a fair amount of time cutting your teeth on other distros before giving it a go.

Suse and Fedora are solid... No problems there.

Arch, now thats one that interests me. I've not really messed with it, but I do know it is becoming very popular, and has a very dedicated group of followers. The Package manager gets rave reviews everywhere I've ever saw it mentioned (Packman?), but I have no experience with it, so I don't know how it compares to others.

IGF

Specks
05-04-2009, 09:42
I LOL'd before you explained it, if its any consolation.. ;)

I think the other problem, would be that most users would dump Gentoo within days due to its complexity. Gentoo is a great distro, but it is complex, and you should spend a fair amount of time cutting your teeth on other distros before giving it a go.

IGF

I laughed too. I used Gentoo for a couple of years. It wasn't my first distro, but I really cut my teeth on it. It helped that the guy next to me at work was a linux guru. I got tired of all the compiling and switched to ubuntu afterwards.

Linux3
05-04-2009, 10:48
Arch, now thats one that interests me. I've not really messed with it, but I do know it is becoming very popular, and has a very dedicated group of followers. The Package manager gets rave reviews everywhere I've ever saw it mentioned (Packman?), but I have no experience with it, so I don't know how it compares to others.
IGF
First off, I need a better spell checker.

I don't know much of anything about Arch either. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing it in action.