Thoughts on IE8 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on IE8

pascal
05-01-2009, 05:09
Howdy,
I installed IE8 before the auto update release. Since I don't use it except when necessary, I believe I noticed a slow down of my system. I deleted it and am keeping IE7 for now as my main is Firefox. Does this sound possible, has anyone else experienced it? Thanks for any responses.
pascal

MartinBlank
05-01-2009, 12:42
When is the auto-update release scheduled?

Sgt. Schultz
05-01-2009, 13:07
For those that do not want the automatic download M$ has released this blocking tool ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21687628-5806-4ba6-9e4e-8e224ec6dd8c&displaylang=en

solomansousana
05-01-2009, 13:27
I tend to surf the web thru my U3 flash drive using either firefox or opera, though lately I have been using anonymizer as they guarantee to screen everything before you get it so the chances of getting a drive by download is cut, but I still keep my firebox and alpha shield working lol. Trust no one. The good thing about it though is it keeps tracks of videos and music on a page and if you like it it will scan it completely and then download to a quarantined section of the drive for further scanning and use.

RDW
05-01-2009, 15:50
Installed it - Didn't like it - Took it off, and went back to ie7.

annielulu
05-02-2009, 00:09
Installed it-slowed my computer down-deleted it-GOODBYE.
This is one reason that I have auto update turned of.

DoubleWide
05-02-2009, 05:21
I've just did a format and install. I upgraded right away to IE8 and overall, it runs fine and better than IE7. I'm trying it out for awhile do to Firefox 3.0.8 (fresh install on another newly formatted computer) was freezing up and crashing a lot. Just noticed 3.0.10 out so maybe I'll get that soon or an older version.

There are some behaviors that I don't like and it's very MS pushy with its choice like the accelerators. It's definitely trying to catch the competition on features.

If you're an IE lover, upgrade. Better than IE7, though I'm not sure how I'd compare it to IE6 since it does add a lot of features. Otherwise, skip it as IE8 isn't leading the browser pack.

Don't forget compatibility mode for some pages.

MartinBlank
05-02-2009, 16:19
Installed it-slowed my computer down-deleted it-GOODBYE.
This is one reason that I have auto update turned of.

Yeah, but it's turning off your updates that makes people vulnerable to the likes of the conficker virus.

pascal
05-02-2009, 20:46
I put it in the hidden downloads, along with a KB update that kept updating over 12 times even though I show it installed. I keep the auto updating to the advise me setting and then download what I think is correct. Crossed fingers.
pascal

MartinBlank
05-03-2009, 20:43
For those that do not want the automatic download M$ has released this blocking tool ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21687628-5806-4ba6-9e4e-8e224ec6dd8c&displaylang=en

I downloaded and ran this, not really sure what it did. Do I have to have better comp skills to block the DL from microsoft?

field
05-03-2009, 20:47
Firefox is a better application.. but google chrome is the best.. you might want to try it out.. it won't freeze up your system..

IndyGunFreak
05-03-2009, 21:57
My Thoughts are... I won't be using it.. ;)

IGF

9jeeps
05-04-2009, 02:38
Tried IE7, Chrome, FireFox, IE8, Now back to IE6 with upgrades till the end of it then back to IE7 less tabs.. or ???. Hoping IE6 outlast me.:dunno:

Sgt. Schultz
05-04-2009, 07:37
I downloaded and ran this, not really sure what it did. Do I have to have better comp skills to block the DL from microsoft?If you did it correctly you will find this key added to your registry ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0

Key value name: DoNotAllowIE80

BigSexy
05-04-2009, 09:18
does it run under linux?

MartinBlank
05-04-2009, 13:55
If you did it correctly you will find this key added to your registry ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0

Key value name: DoNotAllowIE80

No clue what that means...what's a "key" and what's a "registry"?

Sgt. Schultz
05-04-2009, 14:05
No clue what that means...what's a "key" and what's a "registry"?

First do NOT delete anything within the registry or you can screw up Windows, you can open it view and close it.

Click Start - Run and type "REGEDIT" (minus the quotes) and click OK

The Registry Editor will now open and you can browse to the key like you would in Windows file manager, click a key and it expand etc ...

The values contained in the key will now appear in the right pane. Right-click the value you wish to view.

miatank
05-05-2009, 05:08
We 'updated to IE8' and have not found the new features to be worthwhile. How do I go back to IE7?

dave - simple is better

IndyGunFreak
05-05-2009, 05:22
We 'updated to IE8' and have not found the new features to be worthwhile. How do I go back to IE7?

dave - simple is better

Hehe... That could be an entertaining endeavor... Welcome to Microsoft.

Do a major upgrade to both, and use Firefox.

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
05-05-2009, 07:14

dave - simple is betterI agree with IGF ... Firefox is far better then any version of IE. Go here to remove IE8 ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

jtm62
05-05-2009, 07:38
My Thoughts are... I won't be using it.. ;)

IGF

+1 :thumbsup:

miatank
05-05-2009, 16:40
I agree with IGF ... Firefox is far better then any version of IE. Go here to remove IE8 ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Thank you for the link. Will have to look into Firefox some day.

dave - trying safari today

Obi Wan
05-12-2009, 10:15
Tried IE7, Chrome, FireFox, IE8, Now back to IE6 with upgrades till the end of it then back to IE7 less tabs.. or ???. Hoping IE6 outlast me.:dunno:
LOL... similar experiences here, although am back to Firefox for now on two machines because IE7 on PC1 and IE6 on my wife's laptop were giving me fits. Have changed to Firefox 3.0.10 on PC2 and the laptop with minimal issues.

My wife has made comments that she's had a few "crashes" while on Firefox, but then she's also playing around on Facebook 'Farm Town', which is heavy graphics animation and is in Beta stage, I think. Either way it's a processor hog, so I've told her to not expect any miracles if she's going to play "on the farm". Open to ideas, though...

Have heard pro and con on 'Chrome'. What's the word you guys are hearing? Is it better than Firefox? :dunno:

literaltrance
05-12-2009, 10:24
does it run under linux?

Sure! :cool:

ron59
05-12-2009, 11:46
Ever since Microsoft decided only THEY knew how to design a browser with regards to the location of the major buttons (home/refresh/etc), I've not used their browser.

I absolutely *hate* where the refresh/home buttons are on IE7... I preferred the way they were on IE6.

That's why I use FireFox... it is open and FLEXIBLE. If you like the IE7 layout, there are plugins that make it look that way. You can totally change the user interface the way you want it. With Microsoft? meh. Not so much. (make that, not at ALL!)

Go FireFox... you'll never go back.

MartinBlank
05-12-2009, 17:18
go firefox... You'll never go back.

+9000