Windows 7 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Jim1970
05-01-2009, 07:22
Hello,

I am a dissatisfied vista user and I am seriously considering trying Windows 7. If I am reading the information correctly, there is going to be a 1-year free trial period. So, I am wondering:

1. Anyone here try it? What did you think?

2. What if I hate it and want to go back to vista -- how would I do that?

Thanks,

Jim

DeltaNu1142
05-01-2009, 07:51
Hello,
I am a dissatisfied vista user and I am seriously considering trying Windows 7. If I am reading the information correctly, there is going to be a 1-year free trial period. So, I am wondering:
Thanks,
Jim
My sister is a beta tester for tax software & uses Windows 7. I hadn't even heard about it before yesterday, but she said it's awesome, FWIW. I can't get more detailed than that, because to be honest I don't care! :D

Sgt. Schultz
05-01-2009, 07:58
Hello,

Thanks,

Jim

1)I'm running it on a virtual machine and I like it.

2)You would have to do a clean install of Vista.

The Windows 7 that is currently being tested is a beta version and can be tried for free, however M$ no longer has it available for download. If you can find a copy you can still get a key from M$.

Why are you dissatisfied with Vista, maybe we can help.

InsaneIrish
05-01-2009, 08:47
I have the X64 RC1 version I am going to install on a machine with 8GB of RAM this weekend and do a little movie encoding benchmarking. In my very limited experience it looks to be everything we were promised in Vista but actually working and working well.

Mak Maven
05-01-2009, 17:42
The key is available from M$
Here let me save you the time:

GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY

westgate
05-01-2009, 17:55
I have been running Win 7 as a virtual machine ( i did not want to wipe out my machine) for a bit now and it is much more pleasant then Vista. Only issue i found is it is a little slower but a chalk that up as running as a vm.

Pierre!
05-01-2009, 20:16
Running it as I type, and like it alot.

The new Windows 7 RC is what I am on, you will have your shot at it May 5th when it is generally available.

13 months was the talk, the truth is 60 days prior it goes into shutdown every 2 hours... so it's really 11 months if you ask me.

It is crisp and responsive on 2Gb of ram with a 2.4Ghz mobile processor. Hope to have it running on an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz with 8Gb ram... should fly pretty well! Then I start loading some GAMES up... {evil grin}

So far, it's pretty solid for me.

We are evaluating it for the next evolution at the office. We have had virus outbreaks by staff... one in particular I fell victim to as well as 3 others.... but the virus never got my Vista box due to the better security in Vista... and Windows 7 has it too.

Back up your system, keep your data in a seperate partition where it's isolated for the next install, and go for it. If you need to fall back, you will know within a short period... your data will be fresh and available, and your previous system will be ready to be restored.

With the money you save you should be able to pick up a bare-metal restore program like Acronis or Ghost.... that pretty much covers you!

I say go for it... I have! It's running on 2 physical systems, one virtual system just fine.

MavsX
05-05-2009, 07:50
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

Here is the link to windows 7 release candidate 1 its free. check it out.

i'm downloading it now.

Here’s what you need to have:

Internet access (to download Windows 7 RC and get updates)
A PC with these minimum recommended specifications:
- 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor or higher
- 1 GB of system memory or more
- 16 GB of available disk space
- Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)
- DVD-R/W Drive

MavsX
05-05-2009, 08:00
I have been running Win 7 as a virtual machine ( i did not want to wipe out my machine) for a bit now and it is much more pleasant then Vista. Only issue i found is it is a little slower but a chalk that up as running as a vm.

are you using vmware for that?

grokdesigns
05-05-2009, 10:18
I've been running it as my only OS since build 7000. Currently on 7100 RC.

I have not run into any problems. I mainly use it for internet, office (MS Office 2007), light graphic editing (Photoshop CS4), and programming (Dreamweaver/Notepad++). I recently started experimenting with the Virtual XP functionality and it is very handy. I think that feature alone will be a key player in enterprise acceptance.

In my experience so far, everything seems faster and more stable than Vista. This is the first OS since XP that I would purchase to upgrade my existing machines.