Active Duty Pistol Purchase [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty Pistol Purchase

Brently
05-01-2009, 21:32
Hello all,

I'm looking at purchasing a new pistol when I go home on leave in a few weeks because prices out here in Hawaii and the time it takes to get them is ridiculous. Most are backordered for months...

Now, South Carolina law says any active duty member is exempt from residency requirements with my Mil ID. ( Switched to HI DL) FFL is saying the law is different? That I need a SC ID or PCS orders...

Read below:

SECTION 23-31-140. Purchase of pistol; residency requirement; driverís license as proof; exceptions.
(A) A person may not purchase a pistol from a dealer unless he is a resident of this State. For the purpose of this article, the possession of a valid South Carolina driverís license or Department of Motor Vehicles identification card constitutes proof of residency. However, residency is not required of a person who is on active duty in the United States military and who is in possession of a current United States military identification card.

Any insight?

Thanks in Advance!

deadday
05-01-2009, 23:01
In Texas, you have to have orders assigning you to a post in Texas to purchase without a Texas DL...

From the looks of the quoted law, it seems to be as you say, requiring only a valid .mil ID....

crazypilot
05-01-2009, 23:09
Same here. I need a copy of my orders when I purchase a pistol in NV since I'm not a resident here.

sdfhpson
05-02-2009, 01:53
Go to a different FFL...

One that won't glock-block you.

Brently
05-02-2009, 17:24
We shall see