series or parallel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : series or parallel

pt945
05-03-2009, 20:11
my wife is having surgery and i am making a alert system so she can push a button in the bedroom and it will "ring" in other rooms in the house i will have a horn in 3 rooms and the button by her bed. the problem is that when i run the 18/2 wire i am losing voltage to my horns.it sounds like a deflated bagpipe. i am running 9vdc battery i want to set up 2 9v batteries how do i need to do this and a wiring diagram would be helpful. i am sure that in series is what i need to increase the voltage or do i need a battery at each horn? they are rated 6 to 18vdc.

thanks
chris

IndyGunFreak
05-03-2009, 20:25
my wife is having surgery and i am making a alert system so she can push a button in the bedroom and it will "ring" in other rooms in the house i will have a horn in 3 rooms and the button by her bed. the problem is that when i run the 18/2 wire i am losing voltage to my horns.it sounds like a deflated bagpipe. i am running 9vdc battery i want to set up 2 9v batteries how do i need to do this and a wiring diagram would be helpful. i am sure that in series is what i need to increase the voltage or do i need a battery at each horn? they are rated 6 to 18vdc.

thanks
chris

Uh, have you consiered just getting an intercom system?.. some of those are expensive however. Another easy thing, would be to get a couple of walkie talkies. Put it by the bed, with the charger at easy access so she can plug it in.... Then you simply carry the other one with you. Even the cheap ones you get can probably get a signal in most houses.

Edit: Upon further review, the one I posted didn't have rechargeable batters... This one is only a tad more, and has them.
http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-LXT340VP3-20-Mile-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B0015571OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241404024&sr=8-1

IGF

pt945
05-03-2009, 20:49
would be to get a couple of walkie talkies. Put it by the bed, with the charger at easy access so she can plug it in....

IGF

this is why i post here.... sheer genious people. i have walkie talkies running out my ears. why did i not think of this before i ran wire..... going to remove wire and charge talkies.

thanks igf
chris

IndyGunFreak
05-03-2009, 21:11
this is why i post here.... sheer genious people. i have walkie talkies running out my ears. why did i not think of this before i ran wire..... going to remove wire and charge talkies.

thanks igf
chris

Well that works great then... You don't even have to buy anything. ;)

Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery.

IGF

CitizenOfDreams
05-03-2009, 21:23
Answering the original question: you need to connect batteries in series to double the voltage and to compensate for the voltage drop on long wires. Also, 9V batteries may not be able to provide enough current to run several loud horns at once. You may have to use more powerful batteries (AA, C, or even D).

solomansousana
05-04-2009, 09:23
Baby monitor would work just as well. You can get the portable one that has an 8" lcd screen where you can view everything and hear all and while stationary you can plug in or it's portable with a 4hr lithium ion battery for when your up and about.