Dell Inspiron 6000 Keeps Freezing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 6000 Keeps Freezing

roadkingcourt
05-04-2009, 15:31
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. I have done a fresh install of windows xp, all drivers have been updated, replaced the hd, the ram, and still the laptop freezes. I have tried a cooling pad with duel fans. sometime it will work for an hour, sometimes only 5 minutes. Any thoughts? Thanks

havensal
05-04-2009, 19:11
I would start by disabling stuff in the BIOS, like the network card. Sometimes you can track down the gremlin that way. You could try pulling the wireless card, modem, whatever else you can remove. I don't the 6000, but most can be removed rather easily, just like the ram. It sounds like a hardware issue. You have already ruled out the hdd and ram. :dunno:

greenLED
05-04-2009, 20:27
Is there any particular piece of hardware that you recently installed, by any chance? New software you're using?

If you're reinstalling XP and other software from backups, and those are infected with graemlins, you're putting them back your machine.

psc
05-04-2009, 20:29
I had the same thing happen on my 1525...dumped the whole thing and went back to factory default. No issues since.

MavsX
05-05-2009, 05:54
sounds like you think it is over heating ?

Blitzer
05-05-2009, 06:08
Remove all but one RAM chip and power up the laptop. Switch the RAM chips out, you may find it is a bad RAM module.

hkozzzie
05-06-2009, 09:05
Remove all but one RAM chip and power up the laptop. Switch the RAM chips out, you may find it is a bad RAM module.
He said he swapped out the ram already. He could run memtest... is your video card overheating?

roadkingcourt
05-06-2009, 09:16
Is there a test to see if the videocard is overheating? Thanks

hkozzzie
05-06-2009, 09:18
Is there a test to see if the videocard is overheating? Thanks
What kind of video card do you have? I know Nvidia has in their software a side menu option to check the temperature... not sure about ATI?

roadkingcourt
05-06-2009, 11:10
Thought the problem was fixed...worked great without issue for almost 2hours then it started to freeze up again! back to the drawing board :)

hkozzzie
05-06-2009, 11:29
Thanks for all the tips! I got tired of playing around with it. I ended up doing a fresh install of windows xp pro ( did not use the system restore cd). Problem is gone. I guess the system restore cd was corrupt. Once again...thanks for the tips!
I would have suggested you do that, however in your original post you wrote that you did a fresh install not a system restore! :)

grokdesigns
05-06-2009, 17:26
I would recommend a program called PC Check if you can find it. Full suite of low level hardware testing utilities. Used it all the time at my last job.

roadkingcourt
05-07-2009, 01:29
Knock on wood....knock on wood.... I think I have it fixed. I disabled the internal wireless card and it seems to be running strong. Just need to replace that and all will be well. Once again thanks for all the suggestions!

FinalCylon
07-08-2009, 12:25
I had the same problem with my Inspiron 6000 and its 2915ABG wireless card. The wireless connection signal strength would go from excellent down to good and then disconnect, then the computer would freeze.

In my case, the problem started when I installed a new hotter hard drive. My CPU and GPU are ice cold, but still the hard drive heats up to 50C and then that's when the (adjacent) wireless card does its thing. For now, I "fixed" the problem with a 120mm fan blowing across the keyboard from the right side. Like you, I plan to buy a new wireless card.

By the way, there's a really excellent program called i8kfangui that will let you monitor your temperatures as well as control the fan speed as you wish. I bet you'll see that your hard drive is running hot.

I'm guessing that your air vents are a bit clogged with dust. You should routinely blast the air vents with a can of compressed air. Caution: use short bursts, not too cold. Unplug and remove the battery and be careful with the screen.

Did you find a wireless card that worked and didn't overheat?