Got morels? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got morels?

StockGlock23
05-04-2009, 21:52
Me and a buddy went out this past weekend for our first attempt at mushroom hunting. We found about 3 pounds (130) of yellow morels in the woods across from where his mom lives. We hunt the woods hard in the fall now we are gonna get to spend a few weeks in the spring in there hunting 'shrooms. I am gonna saute some up with some steaks from the 6 pointer I shot last year in that same woods and ponder the bounty that the Lord and that woods have granted me.

Anybody else mushroom hunt around here and how have you done?

My buddy is from Florida and it is funny when we walk around up here near a marsh or standing water in a woods, how he comments on not having to worry about a gator coming out at ya.

StockGlock23
05-15-2009, 22:12
Seriously? Not a single other person here hunts mushrooms?

vafish
05-17-2009, 18:34
Seriously? Not a single other person here hunts mushrooms?

Nope never hunted a mushroom.

What caliber works best on them?

shot1
05-17-2009, 19:01
Sometimes I feel like a mushroom when it comes to our government. We are kept in the dark and fed bull s**t till we are ripe for picking.

CanyonMan
05-20-2009, 07:29
LOL X 10 to the two post above me.....

I know that at times back in the late 60's, you had to run off the long haried flower children guys and gals off your land for "Huntin Musrooms."

Now, it is just the deer and turkey pochers, and the city boys, "who like shooting windmills blades, and drivin ATV's all over your place as well".

To answer the OP's question.. NO.

I love mushrooms (of the proper nature :supergrin: ), on my steaks and some other foods, but never 'hunted any,' and ain't sure of what the "yellow morels," variety are anyway. If it grows in the wild around here, it comes up outta cow pies, and we figure it will either cause you to see Jimi Hendrix, or tates like poop.

The wife gets ours at the store. Never seen a yellow mushroom.

Good luck !
And I do mean, Good luck !

CanyonMan

Tommy Gun
05-20-2009, 16:52
How do you know you are picking a non poisonous mushroom?

tomgunner
05-20-2009, 17:06
I FL we used to hunt for the shrooms in cowpatties and they were wacky mushrooms!!!

StockGlock23
05-20-2009, 22:52
They are pretty unique looking. They grow near fallen trees and rotting bark. I think it is like seeing an oak leaf. You see it and you just know what it is and that it is OK.