HP notebook optical drive problems, help please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HP notebook optical drive problems, help please

Idontknow
05-05-2009, 14:20
When i insert a CD or DVD, the drive starts reading it, but never really spins up. It makes a noise, thats hard to describe, and it takes a good 3 or 4 minutes to show whatever files are in the folders on the disk. Is this normal? Also, I just checked for an updated driver, and it said that i have the most up to date driver. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Idontknow
05-05-2009, 14:36
Another update...tried a store bought DVD, it made that same noise for about 5 seconds, then spun up and loaded the disk. Could it be something about the burned disks I am trying to read. This sure makes it hard to look through old files that Ive saved to disks if so.

Sgt. Schultz
05-05-2009, 17:33
Maybe it's the type of discs, some older DVD drives have problems reading DVD + R discs. Its been my experience that DVD-Rís are more compatible with any DVD drive.

Idontknow
05-05-2009, 21:58
Thanks for the suggestion. This thing was just bought in November, but anyways, ill try some different disks. Thanks again.

Sgt. Schultz
05-06-2009, 05:54
Thanks for the suggestion. This thing was just bought in November, but anyways, ill try some different disks. Thanks again.Since it's that new it's probably something else. Give us some more info about your computer and maybe we can help ...

Idontknow
05-06-2009, 17:35
Its a HP dv5-1138nr. 2gHz Core 2 duo, 4 gig ram, vista 64. Seems to mainly happen with Memorex DVD+R. Although it doesnt read other burned disks very fast either.

Bababooey
05-07-2009, 14:06
update the driver ?

gc67
05-08-2009, 12:46
I had a similar issue with my hp laptop. It turns out the optical drive was a little loose. Go on the HP support page and look up the procedure for replacing your drive. Take out your drive per the directions and when you put it back in, make sure is firmly seated. You can google the issue and see other people have had similar problems

Idontknow
05-08-2009, 15:47
Bababooey, already tried updating the driver, says it has the most up to date driver. GC67, thanks for the info, I will look around for that.