Macs, deleting partitions and install question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Macs, deleting partitions and install question

roar
05-06-2009, 19:08
Right now I am booted into the GParted live cd, and I am wondering if completely deleting every single partition, including the EFI partition, will prevent me from booting into the OS X install disc and doing a fresh OS X install onto the completely blank, unformatted hard drive.

Posting and checking from my iPhone. Thanks

Eyescream
05-06-2009, 19:25
Right now I am booted into the GParted live cd, and I am wondering if completely deleting every single partition, including the EFI partition, will prevent me from booting into the OS X install disc and doing a fresh OS X install onto the completely blank, unformatted hard drive.

Posting and checking from my iPhone. Thanks

I'd just completely format the drive and delete all the partitions, then install OS X. That's what I did wiping and killing a sofware RAID on the PowerMac I'm setting up right now.

roar
05-06-2009, 20:00
I guess I could use GParted, and format the whole drive as something. I'm just wondering if deleting the EFI partition will make my computer completely non-bootable, as I understand Macs use EFI to boot up. This is my internal hdd for my laptop so I don't want to completely brick it

JK-linux
05-06-2009, 20:41
You won't brick it. Boot, hold down the option key, select the install DVD, select English, then use Disk Utility and format away. The install takes care of EFI, kext and the other fun stuff.

roar
05-06-2009, 20:44
Well last night I tried deleting the partitions using disk utility booted from the os x install disc, but that didn't work. If I format the disc when doing a fresh install, will it take into account and use the part of the hdd that GParted lists as unallocated?

JK-linux
05-06-2009, 20:48
If you like, create a new partition and leave the old one. Install the OS on the new partition. After that, delete the old partition and your space will be free for the new install. then run the "Erase Free Space" option from Disk Utility.

roar
05-06-2009, 20:59
I just used disk utility and erased the whole drive, and it showed the volume as having the complete physical amount available, so now is all good. Installing OS X again, for the last time (at least for a while). Thanks for the help everyone!