Request Recommendation For A New Printer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Request Recommendation For A New Printer

jusrick
05-06-2009, 20:08
I have a Canon PIXMA iP 1600. This poor excuse for a printer is just not getting the job done. It is slow, noisy, finnicky, jam-o-matic, etc.

What would you recommend for a home use printer in the upper middle price range? I want a printer that can switch quickly between copy paper, photo paper, and envelopes without jamming or printing out of alignment.

Do you have a printer that you really like? Tell me, I don't want to buy another printer that I will end up hating.

P.S. I have a printer for sale cheap. It works. Kinda.

Linux3
05-07-2009, 07:58
What would you recommend for a home use printer in the upper middle price range? I want a printer that can switch quickly between copy paper, photo paper, and envelopes without jamming or printing out of alignment.
Do you have a printer that you really like? Tell me, I don't want to buy another printer that I will end up hating.

Multifunction or just a printer?
Ink jet or laser?

hkozzzie
05-07-2009, 08:59
I have a Canon PIXMA iP 1600. This poor excuse for a printer is just not getting the job done. It is slow, noisy, finnicky, jam-o-matic, etc.

P.S. I have a printer for sale cheap. It works. Kinda.
That canon pixma IP 1600 you have is meant for photos... thats why it is so slow and noisy. I just bought a color laser printer for $499 from newegg its a Brother 4070CDW. Does duplex, networking printer, etc etc. It has a decent size paper tray and also has a manual feed in the front for envelopes and other media. I just bought it for my business of 4 people. Great printer and fast!

jusrick
05-07-2009, 18:54
Multifunction or just a printer?
Ink jet or laser?

Ink jet, because of the initial cost and I want the option to print some color.

I'd be happy with just a printer that is reliable, but I'll consider a multifunction unit if you know of one that is worth the money. I'm skeptical of multifunction things. It has been my experience that multifunction means that several things can be accomplished in a mediocre fashion, as opposed to dedicated tools that do one thing and do it very well.

jusrick
05-07-2009, 18:55
That canon pixma IP 1600 you have is meant for photos... thats why it is so slow and noisy. I just bought a color laser printer for $499 from newegg its a Brother 4070CDW. Does duplex, networking printer, etc etc. It has a decent size paper tray and also has a manual feed in the front for envelopes and other media. I just bought it for my business of 4 people. Great printer and fast!

That sounds like a nice printer, but $499 is about twice as much as I was looking to pay. Thanks for the reply, though.

hkozzzie
05-08-2009, 10:30
That sounds like a nice printer, but $499 is about twice as much as I was looking to pay. Thanks for the reply, though.
I apologize lol, my best piece of advice then is to take a look at newegg.com They have a great selection, great prices, and truthful reviews of their products.

Nidob
05-08-2009, 11:00
www.cnet.com (http://www.cnet.com) reviews.

ReyFufuRulesAll
05-08-2009, 12:04
Use someone else's printer. Printers are broken by design, and they only get worse.

jusrick
05-08-2009, 12:12
Use someone else's printer. Printers are broken by design, and they only get worse.

I believe you are on to something there. I've spent the past couple of days reading printer reviews from multiple sources. I think I've read a couple hundred and I cannot find one inkjet printer without a scary review. I give up.

I've made up my mind to switch over to laser. I'll keep my two inkjet printers in the closet for the occasional color print job. I've decided to purchase this laser printer:

Canon imageCLASS MF3240 Monochrome Laser All-in-One Printer (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF3240-Monochrome-Printer/dp/B000EILTCQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yFHzNdz-L._SS400_.jpg
It is not a very attractive printer, but the reviews don't scare me as badly as most others that I've read.