Help..i need suggestions for my girlfriend [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help..i need suggestions for my girlfriend

GlockCrazz27
05-07-2009, 21:14
Well ladies, i took my better half to shoot her first gun lastnight and she came to me today about possibly getting her own gun and eventually getting her CWP. Shes still new to shooting, only shot a FEG 380 auto about 100 times and my glock 27 1 time. she doesnt want anything thats going to be to big and heavy, shes only 5'6'' 120 pounds. she will most likely be carrying in her purse. What i need form you is to offer some suggestions, like what do you all carry and how do you carry. any help is very much appriciated

Mrs. Tink
05-08-2009, 11:42
I carry a Walther PPS (9mm). I love it. It is single stack and comes with three mags (6, 7 and 8 round) that will extend the grip accordingly. The 6 is a bit small for me personally, but is nice to have as an option.

I live in a relatively wealthy, very low-crime area, so I have often carried in my purse. Otherwise, I carry on my right hip, usually OWB under a jacket. I prefer cross-draw but find it harder to conceal.

Hope that helps. Take her to the range and rent a few different firearms, if possible. She will have a bigger selection.

OJ
05-08-2009, 12:56
Well ladies, i took my better half to shoot her first gun lastnight and she came to me today about possibly getting her own gun and eventually getting her CWP. Shes still new to shooting, only shot a FEG 380 auto about 100 times and my glock 27 1 time. she doesnt want anything thats going to be to big and heavy, shes only 5'6'' 120 pounds. she will most likely be carrying in her purse. What i need form you is to offer some suggestions, like what do you all carry and how do you carry. any help is very much appriciated

My wife won't let me have a girl friend - but, with her, I don't need one.

That said, when my wife finally accepted she could use a gun for personal defense, I was delighted. I loaded up the Pilot with all the revolvers and pistols I had and we went to the range - I was certain that was just for show and knew she would go for one of my Glocks (10mm & 40 S&W) or one of the Colt 45 ACP Government Models I carry.

She's a predictable as any woman :upeyes:

She went for my Ruger GP 100 357 Magnum loaded with .38 Special +P ammo - now, its hers.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/REVOLVERS/GP100.jpg

And passed up one of these -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/PISTOLS/P8100007A.jpg

Women - gotta love'em -

:wavey:

GlockCrazz27
05-08-2009, 16:27
My wife won't let me have a girl friend - but, with her, I don't need one.

That said, when my wife finally accepted she could use a gun for personal defense, I was delighted. I loaded up the Pilot with all the revolvers and pistols I had and we went to the range - I was certain that was just for show and knew she would go for one of my Glocks (10mm & 40 S&W) or one of the Colt 45 ACP Government Models I carry.

She's a predictable as any woman :upeyes:

She went for my Ruger GP 100 357 Magnum loaded with .38 Special +P ammo - now, its hers.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/REVOLVERS/GP100.jpg

And passed up one of these -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/PISTOLS/P8100007A.jpg

Women - gotta love'em -

:wavey:

a fullsize 1911 or 1991 is way out of the picture, thats like you or me using a sawed off shotgun as a pistol to her using a fullsize or anysize 1911. we did take a look at some guns while still at the range and she really liked the s&w 438 Bodyguard, and the s&w 642 w/crimson trace grips. to be honest with you, id much rather see her with a revolver then a semiauto pistol just for there reliability, but then again they have there problems too.

40 Cal Joe
05-10-2009, 05:23
I certainly tried to steer my toward a revolver once she announced she wanted a gun. She wanted not part of that, she said I want a Glock 23. I guess the moral of this thread is selecting a firearm is personal and necessary for acceptance. I think this eliminates the fear of the weapon and allows the person to learn how to safely use and employ the gun.
Good luck with that Ruger 357 and safe shooting.:cool:

Mrs.Cicero
05-10-2009, 14:34
Please don't push the ladies into revolvers.

I have yet to find a revolver with a grip i like, that doesn't pain my wrist. I would never have practiced if I'd been stuck with a revolver... but practicing with my little HK USPcompact is fun, fun, fun....

The only time I use a revolver is for hunting javalina, about once every 3-4 years.

Mrs.C

40 Cal Joe
05-10-2009, 15:21
Please don't push the ladies into revolvers.

I have yet to find a revolver with a grip i like, that doesn't pain my wrist. I would never have practiced if I'd been stuck with a revolver... but practicing with my little HK USPcompact is fun, fun, fun....

The only time I use a revolver is for hunting javalina, about once every 3-4 years.

Mrs.C

The only reason I wanted my wife to have a revolver is because she has never handled a gun in her 59 years. It is a very easy weapon to learn. My first gun, a Dan Weeson 357, I got in 1976. I learned basic gun safety and how to shoot with that gun. From there I learned how to handle all weapons with confidence. Simply trying to pass that successful learning process on. Thats all.

PinkCat33
05-10-2009, 18:25
I had the same problem as her being 5’4’’ and 120 pounds. It was hard to choose a gun and a way to carry that would not be obvious that I was carrying. I thought about a .380 but ended up going with a Glock 19. I just wanted a little bit more of gun then a .380. Once I found out that I could handle it…I really liked the 19.

I have been looking into carry purses which I think is going to be the best option for me. Carrying on my body is not really an option with that gun b/c I can’t hide it unless I am wearing a baggy jacket. She is going to have the same problem. Galco has some very nice carry purses. I thought about just using a pocket holster and carrying in my normal purse but I have so much stuff in my purse that it would take me to long to find it, un holster it, and get it out. I don’t think that is very practical for self defense. I hope this helps some.

copsgirl
05-12-2009, 19:07
I'm also very small and I love my Bersa 380. I keep hollow points in it.

I would suggest that you steer her away from carrying in the purse for 2 reasons. First... it takes time to get into the purse to get it. Second, if some one goes after her, the first thing they are probably taking is her purse... NOW THEY HAVE HER GUN. I suggest a hoster that she can carry on her hip or her back, whichever she feels more comfortable getting to.

G26packer
05-21-2009, 21:02
I carry a S&W M&P and Glock 19 9mm in an IWB holster, just behind my hip. I am 5'5" 130lbs. I also carry my M&P in a Maxpedition VersiPack bag. I prefer to carry on my hip though. I had to make some clothing adjustments, but that really wasn't an issue.
I do have a Bersa 380 that I love, but for carry purposes, it just wasn't for me.. hope this helps!

kentuckysptpr
05-26-2009, 20:34
I carry a Glock 27 off duty. I have never had a problem fitting it into any purse. It will also fit in hip bags and comfortably in an ankle holster. I have a belly holster that I wear when I run as well. I am the same size as the female you refer to and my gun is not bulky or heavy for me. Of course I am a trooper and used to carry a 10 mm S&W, so anything feels small after that. I would not suggest a .22 or any smaller caliber than 40. GOOD LUCK

OggieO
06-05-2009, 16:47
Have you looked at the Sig 239? It is pretty compact, but is available in 9MM, 40S&W & 357 Sig. I bought one for CWP purposes myself. Weight and size were the main things I looked at, but it still had to have some punch. I tried a .380, but opted for the Sig 239 in 9MM. The one I bought also has night sights which is something else to consider when looking at a CWP weapon.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

MrsKitty
06-13-2009, 18:08
I certainly tried to steer my toward a revolver once she announced she wanted a gun. She wanted not part of that, she said I want a Glock 23.

I carry a 23. OWB, purse or day planner depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.