planning for a new hobby.. PHOTOGRAPHY [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : planning for a new hobby.. PHOTOGRAPHY

blankpoint
05-08-2009, 00:26
dear all, iv noticed that many of BOG are good or even the best of this field.. guys, u made me jealous with all your Pro-shots... magtatanung lang po sana ako about some DSLR things b4 i buy myself one.

1. i prefer Nikkon or canon DSLR, anu ba mas OKAY sa dalawa...
2. what type/model of it should i get, consedring myself as a noob photographer..
3. how much would i pay for a cam? if brand new or if used...
4. is it true that mas expensive ang mga lens sa mismong body?
5. do i need lens right away?
6. do i really need to know CS/PHOTOSHOP?

Any advice would be gratefully taken... TIA!

Wp.22
05-08-2009, 02:32
Calling Doc BI you have a patient here

sdfhpson
05-08-2009, 03:15
Just went through this with the wife. We were thinking a Rebel series at first, but she's pretty sure she's going to stay with this hobby, so we went the next step, and got the Cannon 40D. We did a lot of research, and decided Cannon was more for the money over Nikon. You should be able to get a 40D for around $1000. Wait for specials, and get it from a well-known web-site (or locally). B&H Photo or Adorama

ans3288
05-08-2009, 04:06
doc alvin can better expalin but let me have a crack at this...

1. nikon or canon, cant go wrong!
2. get a mid-level body, for canon a 450rebel will do very well...
3. i think bnew better
4. specific lenses will be more expensive than the body, it depends on what u plan to get... a 400 2.8IS is approx php350k, a 50 1.8 is maybe php5k...
5. maybe ur question is, do i need expensive lens right away? it depends on the budget and how serious you will be at this blackhole hobby! in my opionion the expensive lenses ul need when ur doing indoor low light stuff but for outdoor stuff , a "kit lens" will be a good start
6. knowing photoshop is ok, but i dont think its a must :wavey:

dear all, iv noticed that many of BOG are good or even the best of this field.. guys, u made me jealous with all your Pro-shots... magtatanung lang po sana ako about some DSLR things b4 i buy myself one.

1. i prefer Nikkon or canon DSLR, anu ba mas OKAY sa dalawa...
2. what type/model of it should i get, consedring myself as a noob photographer..
3. how much would i pay for a cam? if brand new or if used...
4. is it true that mas expensive ang mga lens sa mismong body?
5. do i need lens right away?
6. do i really need to know CS/PHOTOSHOP?

Any advice would be gratefully taken... TIA!

Eye Cutter
05-08-2009, 10:00
both are of the same quality. you can't go wrong. you might want to take a look at olympus and pentax also but there are more aftermarket parts for canon and nikon cameras.

i observed that canon lenses are a little lower in price than nikon lenses.

i agree with anson, if you have the cash, go with the mid level bodies instead of the entry level cameras. nikon D90 and Canon 450D.

buy books about basic photography and photoshop techniques

mc_oliver
05-08-2009, 13:38
If you're serious about the hobby and plan to stick with it for a long time, always remember that buying into a particular brand means buying "into the system."

If I were to start now, I'd probably go Canon because of the lens selections and relatively cheaper lens price points. Plus, I'm not looking into going pro equipment...at least not yet. The Nikon Creative Lighting System, on the other hand, evens things out for me. So you see, I'm still on the fence on this. lol :supergrin:

If, however, you go pro, the Nikon D3/x platform is the best your money can buy...for now. :)

Eye Cutter
05-08-2009, 17:37
don't forget the camera bags! hahaha! you will be surprised how many camera bags you will be purchasing! hahaha!

ans3288
05-08-2009, 18:54
if u cant afford to but photography books, borrow them... or if no access, you can always read the internet, a huge amount of information for free :)

also, think of what u plan to shoot with the cam, some lens tips from my limited shooting experience...

landscapes... kit lens
controlled environments, portraits... primes
outdoor sports... telephoto lens
indoor sports... telephoto lens with large apreture openings...
events... flash, zoom lens with large apreture openings and maybe IS

suggestions for lens applications for best bang for the buck, but u can always buy larger opening lenses for outdoor sports, etc... :)

cshermiel
05-09-2009, 07:35
i'm also new in this hobby. you can't go wrong with these two brands.
correct me if i'm wrong...
nikon: lens are more expensive but works well with 3rd party brands (sigma, tamron, tokina)
canon: a bit cheaper with their lens but are less forgiving with 3rd party brands.

3rd party brand: tokina daw ang best.

Eye Cutter
05-09-2009, 07:42
sigma, tamron, tokina all make good lenses. you just have to test very well

z_e_n
05-09-2009, 09:46
i'm also new in this hobby. you can't go wrong with these two brands.
correct me if i'm wrong...
nikon: lens are more expensive but works well with 3rd party brands (sigma, tamron, tokina)
canon: a bit cheaper with their lens but are less forgiving with 3rd party brands.

3rd party brand: tokina daw ang best.

I think its the other way around... nikon has cheaper everything and canon has the more expensive goodies. IMHO, canon is more heavy-duty but nikon is also ok, its just a matter of preference. Sigma has lens for both Nikon and Canon.

By the way, problem with Nikon. there's no nikon service center. i think you have to bring it to Konika.

Wp.22
05-10-2009, 05:44
I think its the other way around... nikon has cheaper everything and canon has the more expensive goodies. IMHO, canon is more heavy-duty but nikon is also ok, its just a matter of preference. Sigma has lens for both Nikon and Canon.

By the way, problem with Nikon. there's no nikon service center. i think you have to bring it to Konika.

there is columbia digital as the distributor and repair center for nikon

Vault Keeper
05-10-2009, 18:44
Sir this is the group to ask...from guns, photography, (girls) etc! That's why I love these guys! You can ask anything under the sun and get a very good sensible answers!

Though have not met the majority of the members (because everytime a get together is scheduled, something comes up) I'm sure they are as good as the other senior members...

Thanks a lot BOGS for keeping us up to date....on everything!

:thanks: :perfect10: :thumbsup:

Eye Cutter
05-10-2009, 23:42
if anybody here is contemplating of starting photography as a hobby. all i can say is it's a lot more expensive than shooting our pistols!

apoy
05-11-2009, 04:29
In here, Nikon lenses are more expensive than Canon. Aside from the great tips already mentioned, I also know that the learning curve will be shorter if you're with friends who have the same (brand) system. You will learn all they know without hitting the manual and learn with them at the same time. You'll not here "teka pare, di ko gamay yan" or "teka tol,yung setting kasi samin ganito."

You will also have the chance to try out a lens or something before buying it, aside from the online reviews you would be reading about.

Wp.22
05-11-2009, 17:47
In here, Nikon lenses are more expensive than Canon. Aside from the great tips already mentioned, I also know that the learning curve will be shorter if you're with friends who have the same (brand) system. You will learn all they know without hitting the manual and learn with them at the same time. You'll not here "teka pare, di ko gamay yan" or "teka tol,yung setting kasi samin ganito."

You will also have the chance to try out a lens or something before buying it, aside from the online reviews you would be reading about.

red welcome back

blankpoint
05-12-2009, 23:00
Sir this is the group to ask...from guns, photography, (girls) etc! That's why I love these guys! You can ask anything under the sun and get a very good sensible answers!

Though have not met the majority of the members (because everytime a get together is scheduled, something comes up) I'm sure they are as good as the other senior members...

Thanks a lot BOGS for keeping us up to date....on everything!

:thanks: :perfect10: :thumbsup:

im so grateful na andami palang pumansin sa thread ko... yup your right these guys are very much willing to help kahit anung topic ang gus2 mo...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIRS!!!

mtho
05-13-2009, 07:35

in my opinion you're buying canon and nikon because of the lens. and the big difference it has compared to the 3rd party lens.