Hi Im new and have a problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hi Im new and have a problem

mnoffsinger4
05-08-2009, 23:14
Hi, Im 34 years old and have never been in any kind of trouble. I have a 13 and 4 year old and last week while at our local Wal-Mart here in Marion,Indiana something awful happened and I was wanting to know if it had ever happened to anyone else. My son has a tantrum problem. It's just me because my husband works 3rds and so I can't keep him home all the time. I had to do a little grocery shopping. My husband works at a Wal-Mart DC. My son started out okay when we got to the store but it was chasing him and then the tantrums started. I was scatterbrained and just overwrought really. My daughter was little help and had tried everything she knew to try and keep him from running off anymore. I finally had about 9 food items in my cart-just enough to tide us over for the next few days, and was going to have her take him out to our car. He started to run and ran through the first set of doors. Now I admit I was stupid because I ran through those doors about 2 feet with my cart of unpaid for groceries. The Loss Prevention services was right there and needless to say they had me arrested for shop lifting. I had over 200 bucks in my purse and would have paid for them, wanted to pay for them but they wouldn't let me. Instead they made me sit in a little room while they fished through my bag and told me they had followed me through the store. I asked why and all they told me was because I was shop lifting. I thought for half a second I was in some surreal universe because I don't steal. They told me I was suspicious because I went from one department to the next-okay who doesn't. I asked or rather demanded to see the video tape and they refused. I don't know why if they are that confident I was being a thief why not show it to me.Well then next I told them that I was just flusterd that my son had been tantruming and the lady looked me in the eye and said "No your son wasn't" and my daughter spoke up and said, "Then you are the liar lady because you weren't following us because he screamed all through the stinkin store! My dad works for Wal-Mart my mom doesn't have a need to steal!" Well I was further told I had 30 mins to find someone to come and get my kids or social services would pick them up. I was arrested and had to pay 600 bail and had to hire a lawyer. So I am wondering has this happened to anyone else? I am guilty of being stupid for taking a cart out but that is all. I had one cashier that was in the security office that blatently told one of the LP service people that she noticed my purse. My purse is about the size of a small shopping bag and had nothing other than my WIC folder and wallet in it and my son's inhaler. The officer asked me if I was on welfare-what does that have anything to do with anything? I am not but what if I was does that make me more of a thief? Okay so I will leave it up to you. What is your take. I was researching to see if there were other problems ppl had with Wal-Mart security and there was a thread on this site, and I signed up. Anyone had problems?

Tarowah
05-09-2009, 10:58
Just a couple of points, I am not a police officer or a lawyer so take this with a grain of salt.

You stated that your husband works for Wal-Mart so the first thing I would do is have him contact his human resources and tell them your side of the story, see if he can get them to provide the security footage to help prove your side of the story, in "most" cases you are at the mercy of the Store Manager and LP department of the store you were picked up in so I would do everything I could to meet with them before you go to court, your husbands human resources manager should be able to set up a meeting.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

JasonMob
05-09-2009, 15:31
I have been apart of LP teams in other stores before, and know I personally nor anyone I've EVER worked with would have gone so far with this. I'd be willing to bet that if I'd of been following you the whole time as was stated, I probably would not of even stopped you initially after you walked out the door. After you grabbed your child and if you continued away from the store of course, but until then, no. I have no advice, other then obviously to fight them tooth and nail over it but that is needless to say.

Mainly just wanted to pop in and say I am sorry to hear this story, I have been arrested in front of my child twice, once for something totally legit on part of the officers and way too early in his life to remember, the second however was something kind of similar to this and have never been more disappointed in myself, for either.

NDC187
05-09-2009, 21:42
All i have to say is what a bunch of morons. The details you provided i say your innocent and you should hand they're ass over in a hand basket in court.

DustyJacket
05-10-2009, 06:19
I saw almost this exact incident at the grocery store yesterday.

Woman with 3 children. #1 ran out the store door. #2 following #1. #3 beginning to follow #2.

The woman left her cart, went after the kids and grabbed them up. Brought them back into the store and retrieved her cart. She did well.

In your case, get a lawyer, do a conference with the DA. If that fails do a trial to the judge, and explain. Unless there are facts not related above.

LadyG23
05-10-2009, 21:23
Get a lawyer and fight this. See if the lawyer will file a suit against Wal-mart for this. You obviously were going after your child. They had no right to ask if you were on welfare. and you can get the tape.

And yes, WallyWorld has done this and been sued before

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1722801/posts

http://indieregister.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/police-brutality-false-arrest-at-wal-mart/

For more, google "walmart false arrest" There's plenty of cases

ancient_serpent
05-11-2009, 22:42
Sorry to see that you're in a situation. Get a lawyer, beat this and sue the crap out of them. Don't let these people roll you, you weren't trying to do anything wrong.

Poppa Bear
05-11-2009, 23:36
Walmart has nothing to do with this. A quick letter to the DA from your attorney asking for all discovery, and then a motion for a preliminary hearing and the case will go away if all is as stated. Intent is a requisite component, chasing a young child running out the door and into the parking lot does not look like intent to me.

Had they detained you as you were going out the door or in any way stopped you from reaching your son, and he came to some form of harm due to their actions you would be well on your way to owning a chunk of WM.

One_November
05-12-2009, 13:53
Sorry to hear that, but if you can proof the extenuating circumstances (going after your son) I am sure you have the upper hand. Otherwise, good luck.

JasonMob
05-12-2009, 14:13
Walmart has nothing to do with this. A quick letter to the DA from your attorney asking for all discovery, and then a motion for a preliminary hearing and the case will go away if all is as stated. Intent is a requisite component, chasing a young child running out the door and into the parking lot does not look like intent to me.

Had they detained you as you were going out the door or in any way stopped you from reaching your son, and he came to some form of harm due to their actions you would be well on your way to owning a chunk of WM.
agreed, but I would rather have my son then be rich :whistling:

Zonny
05-12-2009, 15:18
While I sympathize with your situation, why don't you put your child in the cart so as not to endanger himself and get you in trouble?

Most carts have seat belts. If you aren't able to control your child, I would most definitely use it.

PrincessCelica
05-12-2009, 15:35
While I sympathize with your situation, why don't you put your child in the cart so as not to endanger himself and get you in trouble?

Most carts have seat belts. If you aren't able to control your child, I would most definitely use it.

I think this is good advice. Assuming your child can fit in the cart's seat, put him there. If he won't fit, the go forward lesson from this would be to leave the cart with the receipt checker while you go out to grab the son. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I wish you the best in getting this resolved.

copsgirl
05-12-2009, 18:59
As for this situation, I think that the prosecutor has to provide all discovery to your attorney. That would include any video. Go to court with it and hope for the best. I can say that I am very surprised that they actually arrested you, since you only had 9 items. There is usually a policy as to the monetary value of what you have taken. If it is under a certain amount, and I would assume that 9 items would be under that amount at most any store, you are usually let go but summoned to appear.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
At this point you need to look to the future and try to avoid similar situations. As earlier mentioned you may want to put your son in a cart or start using one of the armbands that attaches him to you. If he is still acting up, start grounding him or taking away his favorite toys for a while. If everytime he gets home from the store he is grounded, he may stop acting up. One more possibility... I don't know what the age is in which you are able to leave kids alone in your state, but here it is 13. You could just leave your son at home with your daughter.<o:p></o:p>

G26packer
05-21-2009, 20:10

If a child does not want to be in the cart, they will do anything to get out of that cart, to throwing groceries from the cart, grabbing anything they can, to fighting the person pushing the cart tooth and nail... it is not just as easy as "you should have just put them in the cart".There was obviously a reason why he wasn't in there.
My son used to act like this in Walmart. I had no one I could take him to while I went to the store and I tried every way I knew how to control him. In this day in age if you even look at your kid in a way that someone doesn't agree with they will call Social Services stating that you are an abusive and unfit parent.
I know that these legal problems are such a headache for you right now, but letting your local tv station know about the situation could be beneficial. They cover stories like this all the time, and most of the time, they are able to drum up support against big business to help you with your legal fees, just a thought.
Also, I don't know how you are about this, but Walmart (I wouldn't give them any of my money..but I know it's hard) does sell little backpacks that act like a harness and clip in the front that look like a little bear backpack, with a long handle, so you can at least avoid having him run out into a busy parking lot.
I am so sorry that you have been victimized by Walmart. Of course we can all come back with our "coulda woulda shoulda's" but that doesn't help you now.
All the best! Good luck!

Zonny
05-21-2009, 21:18
If a child does not want to be in the cart, they will do anything to get out of that cart, to throwing groceries from the cart, grabbing anything they can, to fighting the person pushing the cart tooth and nail...

Only once :wavey:

G26packer
05-21-2009, 21:21
:faint:

plainsman
05-21-2009, 23:37
problem dealing with them is they have so much money given to them by fools who just can't send their jobs overseas fast enough!

Virtually all lawyers do not have the money to fight china mart, who will fight even legitimate claims.

People would be better off shopping where they get some respect, and are not presumed to be criminals on welfare just waiting to steal some chinese junk.

Consumer Reports mentioned that China Mart even harrasses legitimate customers who return a few items over several months. This places you on a watch list with them, for special treatment......

LAURAPDG26
05-25-2009, 19:36
I am slightly confused here. Were you also carrying a pistol in your purse and that has something to do with your unfounded arrest?
What does this story have to do with women's issues in a gun forum? Did I miss something?

PrincessCelica
05-26-2009, 16:44
I am slightly confused here. Were you also carrying a pistol in your purse and that has something to do with your unfounded arrest?
What does this story have to do with women's issues in a gun forum? Did I miss something?

A question does not have be gun-related to be in this forum. Others have asked about birth control, breast cancer in here. There's even a thread on the first page asking about push strollers. Not trying to "jump on" you, just hoping to clear up your confusion.

Zonny
05-26-2009, 16:53
A question does not have be gun-related to be in this forum. Others have asked about birth control, breast cancer in here. There's even a thread on the first page asking about push strollers. Not trying to "jump on" you, just hoping to clear up your confusion.

True but it is weird that this her first post in GT. How on earth did she end up here?

The post about the push strollers is a little weird too. It's her 2nd post, her first mentioning having just bought a stroller and it's dated 6 weeks prior to this one. I figure it's SPAM. Look at her Sig line.

LAURAPDG26
05-26-2009, 18:23

Sorry , but I am agreeing with Zonny, I am calling BS on this "new" member's very first post which has absolutely nothing to do with guns and quite frankly this is not a woman specific issue either. I think it was a troll but to each his own as to their opinions on such a story that only bashes Walmart.

G26packer
05-26-2009, 20:16
I don't know what to really say about this situation, I just usually reply to something I have an opinion on, I never really thought about that being her first post. I know sometimes when people have something to rant about, they search every site that they can post something on. I don't know what the situation is here, but I wish that mnoffsinger4 would reply and maybe add some enlightenment to the situation, I kind of find it interesting that with all the comments that have been made she hasn't at least posted something. She very well could be the spouse of someone that regularly posts. I know that is how I got started on here. My husband has been a member for years, as I am sure many of yours are as well.
We will probably never know. I am completely for a "spam free" zone here on Glock Talk.

kentuckysptpr
05-26-2009, 20:26
This is simple. If you have been charged then you have a court date. Get a lawyer. Your lawyer can get the video tape during discovery. If you are innocent then plea not guilty and take a trial. That is the wonderful thing about our justice system. You are innocent right now and will be unitl you are proven guilty by a jury.

G26packer
05-26-2009, 20:29
:popcorn:

Dalton Wayne
05-26-2009, 20:36
Lawyer up. :cool:
Regards
DW

sdsnet
05-26-2009, 20:39
I would get an attorney (maybe they will do it for no money and take a portion of the suit). I would fight this on principle until my last breath even if it took 10 years to resolve. I am surprised that the police backed them up on this. Get a lawyer quick and do not talk to anyone without him with you.

wjv
06-18-2009, 16:50
Hate to say it but your 4 year old needs to learn how to behave. . .
A 4 year old shouldn't be controlling you. There is some issue going on here with him and you need to identify it, and fix it.

Foxterriermom
06-19-2009, 20:41
Hate to say it but your 4 year old needs to learn how to behave. . .
A 4 year old shouldn't be controlling you. There is some issue going on here with him and you need to identify it, and fix it.

Was thinking the same thing to myself right out of the box! The first time I had ever thrown a temper tantrum in a store (in any public place, or in the home) would definitely be the LAST time I would have done it. Neither of my parents would have tolerated it. It must work for this child if it is something he continuously does. Get a handle on it.

G26packer
06-19-2009, 20:59
This user signed up for Glock Talk, wrote her thread, and we haven't seen her since. No postings since then... I think we can consider this a dead thread with someone who just came on here to vent......

Cat91
06-20-2009, 10:02
Tell you what: If I acted the fool like that back in the day, my dad would have beat me black and blue.

These days, parents do that, they go to the greybar hotel for child abuse.

It's not easy being a modern-day parent, and my hat's off to all of them.

Miao, Cat