Importing/Moving Contacts and Archive Folders - OL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Importing/Moving Contacts and Archive Folders - OL

Obi Wan
05-10-2009, 18:42
1. I'm setting up a new(er) PC and migrating my software and files from the old (PC1) to the new one (PC2). Both have Outlook 2003 on them. Both are running XP Home SP2.
I copied all of the *.pst files (Outlook.pst, Contacts.pst, Archive.pst, etc) from the PC1 folder to the equivalent folder on PC2 via Windows Explorer. When I opened up OL2003 on PC2 it read my full Outlook.pst files with the standard Inbox and whatever folders I haven't yet set up as archive folders. It did not read my Contact folders (have two separate ones - personal and work) and it did not show any of my archive folders that do show on the folder tree on PC1.

I have spent endless time attempting to import these various folders in every way I can think of and "... 'nuttin' works..." from an import perspective. I've got full access to both HDD's, etc, (PC's sitting here on my desk).

The supposed process is (from PC2) to highlight "Personal Folders", then File/Import and Export/Import from another program or file/Next/Personal Folder File (.pst)/(Browse to Outlook folder on PC1)/Contacts_C.pst/(choose 'Replace duplicates..."/Next/... and then it gives you the choice "Choose folder to import 'from', yet it shows you the new folder "Contacts_C" as a new folder on the Personal Folder tree on PC2...????... /Import, blah, blah.../Finish. It appears to do its magic, but...

When you then open a new email and click on "To:" to address it, you get a box popping up that says:

"The address could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address book, see Microsoft Office Outlook Help."

Now that makes all the sense in the world...?! I don't want to remove the dang folder, I'm wanting to import the friggin' thing! Why does MS always want to be difficult??? Me thinks Gates has too much money and it's affected his thinking... :whistling:

Argghhhh.....

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could walk me through what should be a simple process. What am I missing?

Also...

2. Why do I have two full sets of 'Personal Folders' that are duplicates of each other?

And...

3. What do I need to do in order to import my archive folders so that they show on the folder tree below the "normal" ones? I used to have my OL2003 work laptop set up so that every main folder but my inbox was an archive so that I never went over the maximum allowed size.

Any assistance will be appreciated. I'm tired and have a ton of work to get done.

Thanks!

Obi Wan
05-11-2009, 18:02
Think I've got the 'Contacts' issue(s) solved... we'll see.

However, still have these two facing me:

2. Why do I have two full sets of 'Personal Folders' that are duplicates of each other?

And...

3. What do I need to do in order to import my archive folders so that they show on the folder tree below the "normal" ones? I used to have my OL2003 work laptop set up so that every main folder but my inbox was an archive so that I never went over the maximum allowed size.

Any assistance will be appreciated. I'm tired and have a ton of work to get done.

Thanks!

Sgt. Schultz
05-11-2009, 20:30
To do a complete backup of Outlook 2003 or 2007 all you need is to copy the outlook.pst and archive.pst while Outlook is CLOSED and then export the following key from your registry …

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

Right click on the key outlook and select option: Export and save the .reg file to your desired location.

On the new computer the first time you open Outlook you are asked to setup your e-mail, select no/none and continue without e-mail.

Close Outlook, search for *.pst files and then copy and replace those that you find with the ones from the old computer.

On the new computer merge the registry key from the old computer.This will restore your old outlook profile with all your email accounts settings and rules. You will need to enter your passwords as passwords are not stored into .reg file.

This works in XP, Vista and Windows 7 and is great for moving your Outlook info to a new machine.

Obi Wan
05-12-2009, 06:49
Good Mornin', Sarge.

That's a great tip that I wished I'd had a few days ago (before I made my post). I've already got all my regular folders copied over (Outlook.pst), and I manually built my email accounts on PC2 since I didn't know how to transfer the profile (didn't know it existed per se), and did get the 'Rules' transferred somehow, with minor corrections needed. Still testing them to make sure they work.

The only things I've got hanging now are the question about the duplicate set of Personal Folders showing on the folder list (and in the Favorites window on top of that list), and not being able to get my old archive folders to show on PC2's Personal Folders listing. New archive folders (Archive_P.pst, etc) show like they should, but just copying the old ones from PC1 doesn't work like copying Outlook.pst did.

Would copying this registry key help that? If I were to copy/export the key now would it set me back from where I'm at now?

Thanks!

Sgt. Schultz
05-12-2009, 08:53
Good Mornin', Sarge.

That's a great tip that I wished I'd had a few days ago (before I made my post). I've already got all my regular folders copied over (Outlook.pst), and I manually built my email accounts on PC2 since I didn't know how to transfer the profile (didn't know it existed per se), and did get the 'Rules' transferred somehow, with minor corrections needed. Still testing them to make sure they work.

The only things I've got hanging now are the question about the duplicate set of Personal Folders showing on the folder list (and in the Favorites window on top of that list), and not being able to get my old archive folders to show on PC2's Personal Folders listing. New archive folders (Archive_P.pst, etc) show like they should, but just copying the old ones from PC1 doesn't work like copying Outlook.pst did.

Would copying this registry key help that? If I were to copy/export the key now would it set me back from where I'm at now?

Thanks!The duplicate folder problem probably happened when you imported the .pst file. If it's just a few delete them, if it's a boat load you my want to start over from scratch.

If you have created additional .pst folders you need to copy them to the same folder as the other .pst files and then open it (File - Open - Outlook Data file) and it will appear on the Mail folders list.

I'm not sure what would happen if you merge the key at this point, I'd delete the existing key first.

Obi Wan
05-12-2009, 09:46
The duplicate folder problem probably happened when you imported the .pst file. If it's just a few delete them, if it's a boat load you my want to start over from scratch.
It's a complete duplicate copy of the entire list of folders. I'm fine with just deleting them if things won't "blow up" on me.

Added: I find that when I delete one of the folders in the "extra" duplicate list it also deletes the folder in the "main" list of Personal Folders above it... thus, they appear to be mirror images for some reason. Hmmm... stumped now. :whistling:
If you have created additional .pst folders you need to copy them to the same folder as the other .pst files and then open it (File - Open - Outlook Data file) and it will appear on the Mail folders list.
Ahh... sounds much simpler than what I've been trying to do via the "import" process. Will try it now.
I'm not sure what would happen if you merge the key at this point, I'd delete the existing key first.
It sounds like I should leave the key alone unless I want/need to start over from scratch. At this point, unless forced to do so, I'm so far behind my work schedule that I'll resist that move... but I'll keep the instructions in case I need to.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Obi Wan
05-12-2009, 12:47
A guy sent me this link for eliminating 'Ghost .pst folders' in Outlook. I'm trying it right now and it appears like it's going to work. Just backing things up first before I push the final "Repair" button...

Ahh... 'Bingo'... it worked. Hope you find it useful also.

http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/pst-ghostbuster/?downloadfile=PSTGhostbuster.exe

Thanks Sgt. Schultz. :cool: