What's your favorite tactical light? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite tactical light?

dgposton
05-10-2009, 21:51
I've been wanting a light to mount on my G19 for home defense for a while now.

My criteria:
-lightweight
-bright (LED seems to be the way to go, right?)
-not too expensive

Right now, it looks like the streamlight TRL-1 seems to be the best that fit my criteria. Seems to be going for around $100 on ebay.

What's your pick?

OD GASTON
05-10-2009, 22:42
streamlight tlr-1 c4.....100.00

bright led, tough, good warranty.....

one of the sponsors of this site sell them.here ya go....http://www.ombexpress.com/c_11/p_FL229.aspx?source=151INGT2

Glocker08
05-10-2009, 22:47
streamlight tlr-1 c4.....100.00

bright led, tough, good warranty.....

one of the sponsors of this site sell them.here ya go....http://www.ombexpress.com/c_11/p_FL229.aspx?source=151INGT2

+1

SL TLR-1 C4 LED is the best bang for the buck.

+TSUNAMI+
05-10-2009, 22:53
I have a G19 with TRL-1 and it doesn't get any better. I paid $89 with fast delivery... here is the link; they have great prices

http://www.******tactical.com/sttrtali.html

Mikey.Dunn
05-10-2009, 22:54
Anything utilizing the Cree Q5

Glockster_James
05-11-2009, 01:48
Streamlight TLR-1 ~$100
Insight Procryon ~$150
Surefire X300 ~$200

Don't have hands on experience with the Streamlight TLR-1 but its a good value for what everyone says about it. But I do love my X300 and Procyon.

legion3
05-11-2009, 04:33
+ 2.

The TLR - 1 superb value. We had a chance in my department to test several out and the TLR-1 was as good as any, and the cost was great.

ragu1macrider
05-11-2009, 09:12
TLR-1 C4 LED is the best bang for the buck.

:agree:

plok
05-11-2009, 10:01
What about a laser light combo money not a worry???

Kyle E. Coyote
05-11-2009, 10:11
Can't beat the Surefire X-300.

Glockster_James
05-11-2009, 16:48
Can't beat the Surefire X-300.

Sure you can...wait a few years...they'll have somethin smaller and brighter. ;)

Glockster_James
05-11-2009, 16:50

TLR-2....X400 seems to be having some issues still.

Personally, I don't like the laser that far under the barrel therefore I'd suggest either Lasermax guide rod laser or Crimson Trace laser grips along with the earlier mentioned lights.

GlockPride
05-11-2009, 16:57
TLR-1. Not a fan of lasers. If it's dark and you illuminate your target that's pretty much where you are going to hit. No laser needed for me for home defense.

jtaliani
05-12-2009, 07:35
I cast my vote for the Insight Procyon. Great all around light.

RayB
05-12-2009, 15:18
1) Very Best: SureFire X300

2) Next Best: Insight XTI Procyon

3) Best Value: Streamlight TLR-1 C4

1) The X300 is the most hardened of the three, with great switch options available. Performance is pure SureFire! Best overall quality.

2) The Procyon runs a very close second, at $100.00 less. Like the X300, the unit is hardened for professional, even battlefield use! Great performance! Includes a cool strobe function, to confuse intruders.

3) The TLR-1 C4 does not appear to be hardened like the other two lights, but will serve fine for bedside use. Do get the C4 version, and you can get it for $100.00 from a reputable dealer. A really nice light at a bargain price!

The X300 and Procyon will light an entire room, and I'd expect the same from the TLR-1 C4.

--Ray

RayB
05-12-2009, 15:32

I'm with James on this, in that I prefer separate, redundant systems. This philosophy increases reliability.

Combine a quality weapon light with a LaserMax guide rod laser, Uni-Max, Uni-Green, or Sabre, and you've got it covered.

As James mentioned, there's also the parallax problem with mounting the laser so far from the gun's bore axis--you end up with a sweet spot, where laser and bullet converge.

Still, many report good things about the TLR-2, which is a TLR-1 with a laser.

If I were to try a light/laser combo, it would be the Viridian X5L:

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=48

--Ray

MudTerrain
05-12-2009, 16:57
Love the TLR-1... Great value.

Chowser
05-13-2009, 06:42
I had the Procyon for a bit but didn't like it (didn't really think I needed a strobe function on a handgun).

I ended up buying the TLR-1 C4.

Personally, I prefer the mounting system on the TLR setup. It's not going to come off. One of my coworkers has the Procyon, and during one of our SWAT trainings, he must've pushed on the release lever when unholstering because when he went to fire, the light popped off.

When I installed it for him, I made sure the use the correct bar on it, but it's still susceptible to being pushed off. With the TLR mounts, you mount it, and tighten it down. It's not easy on easy off.

For lasers, the only laser our dept. authorizes is the internal Lasermax. For tac lights, it's whatever we want because it's our money and we have to buy our own holster also.

plok
05-13-2009, 11:21
My neighbor has a lasermax and it is about 1in. off target is this a normal thing? I have an M3 tactical light and am not impressed at all. I want brighter and a laser. Does anyone have the Glock lights?? are these any good?

Kyle E. Coyote
05-13-2009, 13:04
Sure you can...wait a few years...they'll have somethin smaller and brighter. ;)

You're absolutely right, in ten years they'll have the X-900... weighs half an ounce, you never have to replace the bulb or batteries, and it's bright enough to cause your opponent to burst into flames.

DMCA
05-13-2009, 13:19
I have the standard Glock light. While others may provide greater illumination, the Glock is more than adequate for the environment in which I would use it. I also like it's ergonomics and from a design perspective, the way it integrates with the pistol.

builthatch
05-13-2009, 14:20
last week i ordered the gtl 21 (glock issue light with laser), but, realized that it was not an LED. i then went to the local Lawmen and purchased a TLR-2.

despite the fact that my gtl didn't ship for 3 days after i ordered it, and i requested to cancel the order the night i ordered it...the next day they told me it had already shipped (which it hadn't)

oh well, i am either going to return it or sell it to a friend because IMO the TLR-2 is way superior

i can tell you the differences between the streamlight product and glock product-

the glock light seems to be quite a bit lighter in weight and from an aesthetic standpoint looks more integrated.

the streamlight has the advantage with overall light output BY FAR, not even close. their LED and reflector > the glock bulb and reflector X a billion

the reflector in the glock is not nearly as precisely made as the streamlight. it has trash in the coating, and is somewhat 'rough'

the lasers on both (i know, doesn't apply in this thread) seem to be about equal in resolution and brightness within reasonable targeting distances indoors.

the mount is incredibly beefy for the streamlight. honestly, i don't think it would ever fail...it might the rails out of the frame of the gun before it fails!

while i think the glock light will suffice for most, and looks better from a pure integration standpoint, the streamlight is by far the better product.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6815/img1886.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1886.jpg)

Glockster_James
05-13-2009, 16:26
I had the Procyon for a bit but didn't like it (didn't really think I needed a strobe function on a handgun).

I ended up buying the TLR-1 C4.

Personally, I prefer the mounting system on the TLR setup. It's not going to come off. One of my coworkers has the Procyon, and during one of our SWAT trainings, he must've pushed on the release lever when unholstering because when he went to fire, the light popped off.

When I installed it for him, I made sure the use the correct bar on it, but it's still susceptible to being pushed off. With the TLR mounts, you mount it, and tighten it down. It's not easy on easy off.

For lasers, the only laser our dept. authorizes is the internal Lasermax. For tac lights, it's whatever we want because it's our money and we have to buy our own holster also.

It is possible for all the different lights to pop off, but some are less likely when they have a better mechanism to lock them onto the rails like the TLR series or even the Surefire X series as they come with an additional locking wedge.

But on a side note, the lights I have seem come off of a firearm were not seated properly to begin with.

Glockster_James
05-13-2009, 16:30
My neighbor has a lasermax and it is about 1in. off target is this a normal thing? I have an M3 tactical light and am not impressed at all. I want brighter and a laser. Does anyone have the Glock lights?? are these any good?

Depends on a few things...is it the guide rod model, sabre, or uni-max? The guide rod Lasermax is the only one that really isn't user adjustable. I've heard of people using small pieces of cardboard to adjust but no idea how well it truly worked.

Anyways, its 1" off at what range? And high, low, left, right? I believe they are setup at the factory for +/- 2" at 20 yards...so 1" would be totally acceptable if you ask me.

Far as the Glock lights...I don't have one nor will I ever have one. Sure, they work and function and perform fine for many. Personally I think for the money they are garbage compared to what else is available. As much as I love keeping Glock items in or on my Glocks...just somethings they are behind the times on. Just my opinion though.

Glockster_James
05-13-2009, 16:32
You're absolutely right, in ten years they'll have the X-900... weighs half an ounce, you never have to replace the bulb or batteries, and it's bright enough to cause your opponent to burst into flames.

Next to be voted on...Weapon Mounted Light Control. ;) Who needs gun control when your light is deadlier. :cool: If your light comes out...I'll buy one and try it. :supergrin:

Chowser
05-13-2009, 18:16
The release on his gun got bumped during some gun grabs, then we loaded up and started shooting. He did not check to make sure his light was still secure. Harder to mess up on the TLR.

The lasermaxes we all have in our Glock 31s are pretty accurate up to 75 feet. Not sure about the 1" thing, but we're mainly shooting center mass or center head, so it's accurate enough. We mainly use the lasers for intimidation purposes anyway.

I also liked the ergonomics of the Glock light, but not the output. This was my history with lights:

Streamlight M3
Streamlight M3X
Streamlight TLR-1
Glock GTL10
Insight Procyon
now: Streamlight TLR-1 C4

Of course, for the Glock light I had to buy a different holster, but the same holster works for the Streamlights and the Procyon.

I'm sticking with the TLR-1 C4 on my Glock 31.

For home use (Glock 32), I'm not sure what I plan on using at the moment, I'm either getting another TLR-1 or maybe trying out the Viridian green laser/light combo.

metro273
05-13-2009, 18:19
Considering that I just bought my 1st ever tac light for my 19, I would have to say the TLR-1...:wavey:

plok
05-13-2009, 21:05
Guide rod lasermax. 1 in. to the left and I don't know haven't shot with him yet. I looked at a trl-2 at my local gun store and was impressed. Does anyone have one??? pics??? and is that a respectable light laser combo???

RayB
05-14-2009, 00:32
Guide rod lasermax. 1 in. to the left and I don't know haven't shot with him yet. I looked at a trl-2 at my local gun store and was impressed. Does anyone have one??? pics??? and is that a respectable light laser combo???

The LaserMax guide rod lasers in our G19 & G21 are about dead on at thirty feet. You can center-core targets all day.

On the home front, I like the quick on/off of the SureFire X200s A&B, and the Procyon. I realize field work is another matter.

The TLR-2 is well thought of by those that have reported on it here. One member owns several, and has an outdoor range.

Question: Does the TLR-2 also have the C4 specifications?

--Ray

Glockster_James
05-14-2009, 15:30
Question: Does the TLR-2 also have the C4 specifications?

--Ray

Yes, the TLR-1 and 2 both have the same 135 lumen output C4 LED.

Looking at Streamlight's website...looks like pretty much everything with an LED has been upgraded to the C4 LED compared to their older LEDs.

I would say on a side note for anyone ordering any Streamlight products...make sure what you're ordering has the C4 LED unless getting a discounted price...there is old stock out there. No need to pay full price on out-dated things. ;)

compassman
05-14-2009, 17:39
Glock Tactical Light

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/8097DSC00604.JPG

SCC
05-14-2009, 18:21
Glock Tactical Light

Mike from Texas
05-14-2009, 20:56
Insight XTi Procyon.

W4CNG
05-14-2009, 21:21
TLR2 nothing is in second place.

rkrk
05-14-2009, 22:03
+1 on the TLR-1 but if ****** does not have it in stock to send out right away I would head for another dealer - great prices but very inconsistent.

I have had a few friends get burnt

rk

I have a G19 with TRL-1 and it doesn't get any better. I paid $89 with fast delivery... here is the link; they have great prices

ijacek
05-15-2009, 00:55
Been using the X300 for a year now, and it's great, but I just odered the Insight XTi Procyon for my RRA rifle.

mister happy
05-27-2009, 10:22
Any thoughts about the new Streamlight TLR-3, which is 1/2 inch shorter than the TLR-1 and puts out 90 Lumens?

The pro at ****** says the TLR-3 works fine on the G19, with enough light for indoor target ID. It's lighter and only sticks out a bit beyond the barrel.

RayB
05-27-2009, 12:04
Any thoughts about the new Streamlight TLR-3, which is 1/2 inch shorter than the TLR-1 and puts out 90 Lumens?

The pro at ****** says the TLR-3 works fine on the G19, with enough light for indoor target ID. It's lighter and only sticks out a bit beyond the barrel.

Does this model feature LED-based illumination? :eyebrow:

--Ray

Chowser
05-27-2009, 13:58
Does this model feature LED-based illumination? :eyebrow:

--Ray

I believe the TLR-3 also uses a C4 LED. It can be had for around $80 at most places.

Kyle E. Coyote
05-27-2009, 14:25
I'd like to make fun of the people using an inferior Glock light because it looks better than a Surefire or Streamlight, I really would... trouble is, I use an HK UTL on one of my USPs, and I'm not too big on hypocrisy. :supergrin:

mister happy
06-05-2009, 07:17
Actually, nothing works well on the G19. From the rail's lockpoint perspective, Glock "sawed off" the barrel to take the G17 down to the G19 compact. This means that the shortened TLR-3 extends beyond the barrel on the G19, like a full size TLR-1, but there's a half-inch gap between the switch end of the light and the trigger guard! I talked to Glock and Streamlight about it - they both agreed in this assessment.

JoeDanger
06-05-2009, 09:59
I place my vote for the Insight Procyon...90% of what the Surefire is for 50% of the price.

Travclem
06-05-2009, 10:05
My Rock River wears an Insight Procyon XTI and my Glock wears a Streamlight TLR-1. Both are good but the insight has more bells and whistles.

spearogun
06-05-2009, 11:48
x300 here. Search around and you can find good prices on new and used ones.
The way its designed so you can put it on the gun and take it off very easily and fast makes it great for using when you don't want to expose your gun.

mister happy
06-05-2009, 12:34
My Rock River wears an Insight Procyon XTI and my Glock wears a Streamlight TLR-1. Both are good but the insight has more bells and whistles.

I've been told by a LEO that, in a stressful situation, the fewer "bells and whistles" the better. In other words, stopping to think, "Should I strobe him, or just hit the light momentarily?" could be your last thought.

H&K 4 LIFE
06-05-2009, 13:17
After testing it on multiple platforms, I will vouch for the Insight M6x and trust it enough to use on my home defense G19. :wavey:

dragonmalice
06-05-2009, 13:52
I've been really happy with this:

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/dt83860/pd1933847/CAA_TLL_TACTICAL_LIGHT_LASER_COMBO

The on switch works as momentary or full on, and it sits right in front of the trigger guard to the left - right where my support hand thumb happens to be. It came with a coil pressure switch as well, but I found I liked the regular switch better because of the location. There's a rotary switch on the bottom that lets you select light alone, laser alone, or both.

The mount is spring loaded, but also can be screwed down and clamped nice and tight and is designed to lock in the groove on the rail. The laser is adjustible using set screws (vertical and horizontal). I originally bought it for the light, but ended up leaving both on - can't have too much help aiming half asleep.

Downside is it isn't an LED, but it is extemely bright. The light did come with batteries, but I got some rechargeable batteries to use instead.

OverToad
06-05-2009, 14:33
Surefire X400

CWO 963A
06-05-2009, 14:48
Glock Tactical Light

COBO19
06-05-2009, 16:52
I have the TRL-2 on my G19, nice bright beam on both fronts flashlight/laser

briansp82593
06-05-2009, 17:44
GTL and the procyon are both nice lights, and the TLR-1 is good too.
Out of the 3 I like the procyon

go bears!
06-05-2009, 23:43
I have the Safariland RLS. I think they may have been discontinued? Very versatile light!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4f52M422Y4

Magnus2131
06-06-2009, 01:16
http://www.geocities.com/magnus2131/light.jpg

Mr Wasabi
06-06-2009, 07:30
Insight XTi Procyon.

+1

I picked one of these up used and like it a lot. It's my first tactical light. The strobe feature is great.

AgentM79
06-06-2009, 09:37
I like the Glock tactical light. It's not LED-based, it's not the brightest, and it's not the best. But it goes on-and-off the gun easily, and looks great. Glock should add an LED version to their product line.

Truthfully, I almost never use handgun-mounted lights. I have no delusions about being able to slide one on/off the the gun during a confrontation. I also don't want to wear a holster the size of a garbage can on my hip so I can carry my G17 with the light attached. Here's my tactic. I practice shooting with the "Harries" technique, and use a top-quality tactical hand-held light. I REALLY like the Streamlight Scorpion LED (120 lumens and a tail-mount switch that doesn't turn on accidentally or need to be twisted to a "lock-out" position for carry), and the NovaTac tactical light (3 light modes, takes only one Lithium battery, and even has a "strobe" feature).

The advantage of the handheld light is that in a real-life "gun" situation you will NOT be pointing the gun at EVERYTHING you want to illuminate. You can keep your weapon at low ready (or even holstered) while you scan with the hand-held light.

I know that some LE agencies have handgun-mounted lights as standard equipment. I can certainly see the advantage for SWAT/E.S. "shield" men and K-9 handlers. My experience is in patrol and plainclothes work, and I've found that separating the gun and light works best for me.

spyder1969
06-20-2009, 20:04
TLR-1. Not a fan of lasers. If it's dark and you illuminate your target that's pretty much where you are going to hit. No laser needed for me for home defense.

Are you using night sights? I am shopping around for my Glock30. Night Sights, rail mounted laser, tac light....:dunno:

Twoball
06-20-2009, 20:24
I have the Safariland RLS. I think they may have been discontinued? Very versatile light!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4f52M422Y4

The RLS Safariland Lights are still available .....But what's even better you can buy the RLS Mount without the Light and use it with a Streamlight Strion LED......This gives you a light with 3 light levels , Strobe and belt clip....:juggle:

Warp
06-20-2009, 21:16
I recently purchased a TLR-1 to mount on my G19, along with a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holster which will take the light while mounted to the gun. I have nothing to compare it to, but I really like it. I am a bit of a flashlight guy, though, which gives me some comparison.

SS109
06-21-2009, 00:04
TLR-1 C4 for me. Streamlight underrates it @ 135lumens, but it actually puts out 160 OTF Lumens.

glocknewbie2
06-21-2009, 00:30
I just picked up a Surefire X200a of the bag, used, but you couldn't tell if from a new out of the box one. I like the ease of switching it on or off and it's brightness.
Dan in Kalifornia

emt1581
06-27-2009, 13:39
I guess I'm in the minority here. I have the ancient M3 and the TLR-1. I do prefer the M3 because IMO it's brighter and it's easy on/off. I need a screwdriver to transfer he TLR-1.

However, I'm reading all these replies that say TLR-1 C4...not just TLR-1. Since this was given to me by a cop who said he had no use for it a few years ago, I'm guessing the reason was because the C4 version was out or about to come out. Is it really that much brighter?

Maybe I should pick one up?

IMHO, the TLR-1 is an awesome value!!

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

mikegun
06-27-2009, 15:46
INSIGHT 150 LUM...u wont have to shoot the bg as this light will blind him...

nxttruck2002
06-27-2009, 15:51
X400 ftw

NDC187
06-27-2009, 15:56
streamlight tlr-1 all the way

leitung
06-27-2009, 16:54
I am going to get a TLR-2 for my Sig P226 .40

team1320_k26eg
10-07-2009, 02:46
well i was considering the GTL21 cause i liked how it flowed with the pistol but didn't like it isn't LED, so after the research i did i found the Streamlight TLR-1 seems to be a better choice for me.. i looked at a lot of youtube videos and i think im have made my choice..

team1320_k26eg
10-07-2009, 02:48

can anyone else vouch for this site? or can someone point me to a vender?

dances with guns
10-07-2009, 03:24
just got this one not too long ago Streamlight TLR-1, it's the only quality one i could afford lol:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/P1020682-1.jpg

dances with guns
10-07-2009, 03:28

get it off opticsplanet.com

they're on ebay and have thousand of positive reviews.

tlr-1's at $99/free shipping. got mine in 3 days.

******tactical has horrible customer reviews:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/******_Tactical

http://www0.epinions.com/webs-Web_Services-All-Merchants-******_Tactical

Jack Worm
10-07-2009, 03:29
I have nothing on my handguns, but Ive got a Fenix TK10 at 225 lumens on my shotgun :)

team1320_k26eg
10-07-2009, 04:22
get it off opticsplanet.com

they're on ebay and have thousand of positive reviews.

tlr-1's at $99/free shipping. got mine in 3 days.

******tactical has horrible customer reviews:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/******_Tactical

http://www0.epinions.com/webs-Web_Services-All-Merchants-******_Tactical

thanks!

anyone using the TLR-3?

dgposton
10-07-2009, 08:06
I have nothing on my handguns, but Ive got a Fenix TK10 at 225 lumens on my shotgun :)

Does Fenix make any pistol mounted lights? I heard they make good stuff.

Right now, I've been deliberating between the TLR-1 and TLR-3. I'm wondering if the TLR-3 will do the job, b/c it is quite a bit lighter than the TLR-1. Also, it sticks out less on a small gun like my G19.

BigNic
10-07-2009, 08:29
I leave the TLR-1 on my G19 when I go to the range. It has taken a beating of 2 thousand rounds +/-, including IPSC type action shoots, and has never failed or lost brightness.

I have only ever hand-tightened it (never used a screwdriver?) and even rapid-fire with 33 round magazines doesn't rattle it.

The only negative is the finish on top of the TLR is marred from muzzle blast, but I don't care how it looks, I only care that it works everytime after lots of abuse (even shooting in the rain).

Jack Worm
10-07-2009, 09:03
Does Fenix make any pistol mounted lights? I heard they make good stuff.

No they dont, would have been interesting though if they did. And yes their flashlights is great, I have four of them :) If You havent checked them out You should.

/JW

team1320_k26eg
10-08-2009, 00:01
i have a question about the TLR-1/2 whats the difference between the light? C4 LED version and the non C4 version? is the C4a brighter LED?

emt1581
10-08-2009, 00:04
i have a question about the TLR-1/2 whats the difference between the light? C4 LED version and the non C4 version? is the C4a brighter LED?

Yup. Significantly brighter.

-Emt1581

neil
10-10-2009, 21:40
I have a Surefire X300 attached to my G17:cool:

DGreno
10-10-2009, 23:42
The C4 version is much brighter than the original 3 watt LED that they used to come with. The difference between the TLR-1 and TLR-2 is that the TLR-2 has an integrated laser in addition to the light, the TLR-1 does not.

smoke 8
10-29-2009, 14:48

Just ordered the TLR-1 C4 LED thru www.ombexpress.com (http://www.ombexpress.com) $84.99 plus shipping.:supergrin:

Glockdude1
10-29-2009, 14:50
My new Streamlight TLR-1 C4 I just got off e-bay. $70!!! NIW
(I got lucky!)

:thumbsup:

DasBulk
10-30-2009, 06:47
I got the TLR-1 C4 earlier this week and am more than pleased with it. Like someone said earlier, its under rated in its lumens. Its a touch dimmer than my 225lm PD30+ and touch brighter than my PD20 Fenix lights. I love it.

Kegs
10-30-2009, 17:34
I have a Streamlight TRL1 unit (that everyone else seems to have as well) - I'm not sure if it's the C4 version or not - that thing is brighter than any of my flashlights I have in the house = plenty of light during pitch black.

I have a Insight technologies X2L unit, which is the most subcompact light I have seen w/laser. This is an awesome package for subcompact guns, but the main weakness is that it's an incandescent light - although the beam of the light is adjustable from spot to flood, it's not quite enough light for outside applications in my opinion.

Some have partially solved this weakness by taking a modified terralux 3 watt led mini-mag replacement unit and soldering the leads to the base of an insight replacement bulb - This works great except the ability to adjust between spot and flood is negated (not that it matters that much).

The problem with the current laser/light combination units is that the designers continue to place the laser on the bottom of the unit and light at the top. It should be the other way around - you want the laser as close to the bore as possible. Lasermax is probably the best solution in regards to getting the laser projection as close to the trajectory as possible throughout the range of trajectory.

You can still line the laser up for defensive purposes - say 7-10 yards in such a fashion that you will hit the target, but maybe 3" high/low depending your distance away from the "target".

If I were making a rail light these days, I'd design a unit similar to an upside down X2L configured so that the laser is directly underneath the rail and light was below that + I would change out the bulb to a stationary 3 watt l.e.d. and make the reflector twist-adjust spot/flood. The battery and battery compartment is a very good design already. I do not think this is too much to ask for with today's technology and abilities.

RayB
11-01-2009, 09:53
My first weapon light purchase was a Surefire X200A, back in October of 2005. The "A" throws a bright, tight spot beam well past thirty yards. The quality is first-rate, and the narrow spot beam could easily double as a targeting designator on a shotgun!

My next purchase was a SureFire X200B. This model offers a wide flood beam that is much superior for indoor use, but has less range than the X200A model. Still, the X200B easily lights an entire room, and has almost no "hot spot" in its even illumination. Again, the quality is first-rate!

The new SureFire X300 attempts to combine the performance of the X200 A&B weapon lights, and it does so with little compromise. It is a better all around light than either of its predecessors; but I still think the X200B is the best for dedicated indoor use.

Both the X200 A&B are still available, at discounted prices, at:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=TACTICAL+LIGHTS:Weapon+Lights

I picked up an Insight XTI Procyon in the summer of 2008. This is also an excellent weapon light with performance that easily rivals the SureFire X200B's--at $100.00 less! What's more, the Procyon will fit beneath a LaserMax UNI-GREEN on a Glock, while the SureFire X200 A&B, and X300 will not!

My farorite tactical light, at the moment, is the SureFire X200B, for its great indoor performance, hardened construction, and switch options! The SureFire's are designed for battlefield use, and that fact is evident.

Running a pretty close second is the Insight XTI Procyon.

It was my pleasure to handle a TLR-1 C4, and take it into a darkened room. Impressive! While the unit does not seem as hardened in its construction as the SureFire X-series or Insight Procyon, it is a lot of light for the money, and the set screw attachment may well be preferred by some.

All of the lights mentioned here are excellent! The Procyon and TLR-1 are bargains as well!

Comparisons of the X200 A&B and XTI Procyon appear below... I would expect the TLR-1 C4 to easily belong in this company!

--Ray

P.S. Lest we forget, these are compact lights with apertures and lenses about the size of my thumbnail! :wow:

Glock-911
01-05-2010, 20:23
$50.00
G&P / Matrix Tactical M3 Illuminator Combat Light w/CREE 230 Lumen High power LED for high intensity of light and long bulb life.
$40.00
G&P / Matrix Tactical M3 Illuminator Combat Light w/ 120 Lumen Xenon Lamp for high intensity of light and long bulb life.

Built in QD Rail Weaver Mount.
Fits all pistols / rifles with railed frame.
Available in Matt Black / OD Green and Dark Earth Tan.
Operating mode: Pressured On or constant on.
http://www.airsoftpost.com/images/large/Light_MTX_M3-2-lg.jpg
Now befor everyone goes on a laughing spree I know they are on a airsoft sight and yes I have one. Yes it does fit my G22 G23 Springer operator sig 229r sig 226r and my evil black rifel AKA the beast ok just my WASER 10. Yes I have shot with it, so far I have put 200 rds with it on my Glock 22 it still works fine. I figuer if it was gonna breake it would have done so by now. PS I do have a sure fire 200x for back up just in case. Im temptable not stupid. I just couldnt resist the temptation of a 40 to 50 dollar weapon light and to see what these things were made of lol.

BORELLAR
10-22-2010, 21:13
I have an HK USP fullsize with promag adapter. The M3 fits my adaptor but I was wondering.... Will a viridian green laser GLK for the glock, or the MP model or any of the Viridian Laser sights fit the USP with pro mag adaptor? I really just want the laser, and do not want to spend any more money on a a X5L or C5L with the light on it. I figure one of them has to fit, i mean the pro mag adaptor has a true picatinny rail right? Why wouldnt they just slide right on like anything else?

Ogie
10-23-2010, 10:27
I really like my Surefire X400! I have it zeroed at 10 yards and that should be quite sufficient for use indoors. Parallax has little effect at short distances if you are shooting at COM.

Glockbuster
11-02-2010, 18:20
Extremely surprised to see no one uses the Insight technologies M3X.

I'm an incandescent fan, I hate the LED bluish tint, even on the Cree, and love the bright white incan color temperature and color rendition, especially outdoors. True, you don't have the LED longevity and runtime/efficiency, but I much prefer the color rendition. Anyone else feel this way ?

UrbanOps
11-02-2010, 19:43

I'm an incandescent fan, I hate the LED bluish tint, even on the Cree, and love the bright white incan color temperature and color rendition, especially outdoors. True, you don't have the LED longevity and runtime/efficiency, but I much prefer the color rendition. Anyone else feel this way ?

I dislike LED's color as well. I can't see squat with the LED's.

emt1581
11-02-2010, 19:59
I dislike LED's color as well. I can't see squat with the LED's.

I was in this camp for years. I hated the tint of the LED. I even started a thread on how much I despised them. I got horrible support. Something like one or two replies that agreed with me.

Now after owning a few TLR-1/TLR-1 C4 lights I see why when I go back to my M3. The M3 is a LOT dimmer, heats up quick and runs out of juice quickly. The LED wins on all accounts.

It does come down to personal preference so you need to go with what you like best. However, if you poll GTers you'll see what I'm talking about.

-Emt1581

DustyJacket
11-02-2010, 20:14
Just ordered the TLR-1 C4 LED thru www.ombexpress.com (http://www.ombexpress.com) $84.99 plus shipping.:supergrin:

Web page shows $96

swinokur
11-02-2010, 21:12

Insight has updated their entire M series lights to LED. Not sure if the Xenon bulb is even available any longer. I bought an upgrade kit for my 6X that upgrades to the LED 55 bucks

silvrevo
11-05-2010, 09:52
Which one of these is more compact on a G19? And which has the most Lums?

Im a fan of the surefire! Love my e2D light! Its badazz.

Like to see more pics of them on a Glock.

Vince49
11-14-2010, 19:35
1675 rounds downrange so far with this G22. 300 of those rounds are with the TLR-1 mounted. Absolutely flawless in all respects so far. I have not encountered any of the issues I have read about on here and elsewhere either with the gun itself or with the light attached. Follow up shots actually are easier and more accurate with the light mounted. :supergrin:

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/TheVince49/MyG22withTLR-1002.jpg

catalyst686
11-14-2010, 23:24
I just ordered a TRL-1 w/ strobe function from optics planet. It will be for my Glock 19. I've heard nothing but good things so far. It was $113.00 shipping from UPS is free.

emt1581
11-15-2010, 05:14
I just ordered a TRL-1 w/ strobe function from optics planet. It will be for my Glock 19. I've heard nothing but good things so far. It was $113.00 shipping from UPS is free.

Oh nice!! I didn't know they made a TLR-1 w/ strobe. I have to get one of those!!

-Emt1581

Ogie
11-15-2010, 09:40

I used to be an incandescent fan as well. I have a Surefire X200 (LED) that casts a bluish tint. My Surefire Centurion is incandescent and throws out a fairly good light. However, my Surefire X400 throws out a GREAT light with no bluish cast. In fact the light from the X400 is whiter than that of the Centurion. I think they have changed some things over the years, at least Surefire has.

catalyst686
11-15-2010, 11:32
Oh nice!! I didn't know they made a TLR-1 w/ strobe. I have to get one of those!!

-Emt1581

Yes! I believe it's a newer model TLR-1S, is what the product is listed under, it's only an extra 8 bucks for this model, so I figured why not! I'm excited to get it. I just got off the phone with customer service and they said It should be on my doorstep within about 2-3 days. They seem to have some outstanding customer service. I'll post some pics when I get it.

Neal
11-15-2010, 16:47
Insight has updated their entire M series lights to LED. Not sure if the Xenon bulb is even available any longer. I bought an upgrade kit for my 6X that upgrades to the LED 55 bucks

So how does the LED compare to the Xenon on the M6X? Did you loose throw distance?

swinokur
11-15-2010, 18:02
So how does the LED compare to the Xenon on the M6X? Did you loose throw distance?

I have a Xenon bukb now.My upgrade is back ordered but in general the Xenon bulbs have better throw than the LED's

Neal
11-15-2010, 18:09
I have a Xenon bukb now.My upgrade is back ordered but in general the Xenon bulbs have better throw than the LED's

OK, thanks.

samuse
11-17-2010, 14:32
I've only used the TLR-1 and the X-300.

I bought the X-300 to put on a G-19 because I prefer the switch on it.

I still haven't used the one I bought yet:upeyes: