PNP Gun Control Summit May 18-19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PNP Gun Control Summit May 18-19

Frontsight68
05-11-2009, 21:45
Hello

Anyone know if the shooting community will be represented at this summit?

Frontsight

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=461570&publicationSubCategoryId=65

foxyyy
05-11-2009, 23:06
“We hope to come up with a Comprehensive Firearms Code of the Philippines,” said Bacolod, who noted that all stakeholders from government and private agencies will be invited to attend the summit."

hmmm...a new firearms code? i just hope the RIGHT representatives from the shooting community will be there

paltik45
05-12-2009, 07:02
yup I agree with you folks, I hope that we (law abiding gun owners) can get a chair when the music stops.:whistling:

edtf
05-12-2009, 07:28
Yes I hope a level headed gun owner group can participate. In fact a BOGS team won't be bad at all :D

crazy_hans
05-12-2009, 09:29
si horge (Yoda) ang best bet natin dyan!

edtf
05-12-2009, 09:37
si horge (Yoda) ang best bet natin dyan!

YES!!! thas is a very good bet indeed.
Common sir Horge go for it. Can't we get someone to represent us?

cebuboy
05-12-2009, 17:47
Yup, Horge is the man. :)

Glock_19_9x19
05-12-2009, 20:34
+1 on that

isuzu
05-12-2009, 21:19
I smell another gun license amnesty that could last a long time and minimal fines for expired licenses just to get the expired licenses active once again.

I hope this summit would simplify gun licensing such that the person is the one licensed to own guns and the guns are registered in his name.

edtf
05-13-2009, 00:34
I smell another gun license amnesty that could last a long time and minimal fines for expired licenses just to get the expired licenses active once again.

I hope this summit would simplify gun licensing such that the person is the one licensed to own guns and the guns are registered in his name.

There is a pending amnesty by end of the year.

I don't think that system would be passed - they will earn less :wow:

horge
05-13-2009, 22:12
It is apparently not open to the general public.

I've been to many conferences, symposia and "summits",
albeit wrt environmental issues, and believe me, the key
issues are decided long before the show starts; long before
they allow an airing out of opposing views.

A whole bunch of us will have to win seats in the legislature
and the administrative branch, to see any progress.
True story.

h.

choi_tan2000
05-13-2009, 22:34

True story.

h.

plus 1 h.

BrassKnuckle
05-14-2009, 07:02
This coming summit is going to be a tough one. I have friends in ProGun who told me that IANSA (http://www.iansa.org/) will be represented in the summit and they are pushing that the Phil govt. sign UN resolutions to control small arms. If that happens not only will we be facing a gun ban but possible confiscation of privately owned guns as well. (Like they did in England, Australia, etc.)

There is something fishy about this summit because orgs like the PPSA, PNSA, AFAD, and ProGun were not invited. Only the Airsoft Alliance (of all people!) were invited, and it was through them that ProGun found out. Both groups will be sending representatives to the summit and as they said, "madugong bakbakan ito.."

I will keep you posted on the developments.

i_am_infinity
05-14-2009, 08:02
Scary future for us...

liveandletlive
05-14-2009, 10:14
This coming summit is going to be a tough one. I have friends in ProGun who told me that IANSA (http://www.iansa.org/) will be represented in the summit and they are pushing that the Phil govt. sign UN resolutions to control small arms. If that happens not only will we be facing a gun ban but possible confiscation of privately owned guns as well. (Like they did in England, Australia, etc.)

There is something fishy about this summit because orgs like the PPSA, PNSA, AFAD, and ProGun were not invited. Only the Airsoft Alliance (of all people!) were invited, and it was through them that ProGun found out. Both groups will be sending representatives to the summit and as they said, "madugong bakbakan ito.."

I will keep you posted on the developments.

I think, I'll hold on to my gun funds till the smoke clears. :crying:, and I was so excited to be at the gunshow.

akula
05-14-2009, 17:15

Let them implement this first with the Abu Sayyaf, MILF and MNLF. Likewise, the clan warlords and private armies of the politicos...

isuzu
05-14-2009, 20:46
Let them implement this first with the Abu Sayyaf, MILF and MNLF. Likewise, the clan warlords and private armies of the politicos...

They won't. They'll target the easiest prey - the law-abiding gun owner.

choi_tan2000
05-14-2009, 22:52
invited the airsoft community but notr PPSA, PNSA and AFAD?

sounds crazy to me

horge
05-15-2009, 03:07
invited the airsoft community but notr PPSA, PNSA and AFAD?

sounds crazy to me

No, it's a good thing.
Think about what this big, big production is all about; why it is being
staged at all, and for whom.

Everything we've ever said about the problems in Philippine firearms law,
still holds true today. The same interests that prefer the senseless status
quo are still making the decisions.

The only danger here is that some guys from ProGun, PPSA or AFAD
will try to use the event to loudly make pogi points among their so
called "constituents" ... after which all gun owners take a real hit,
instead of a merely cosmetic one.

-=-=-=-

Allow me to explicate.

There are two possible reasons to be setting up this show.

1. To seriously lay the groundwork for abolition of our firearm-owning freedoms.
2. To make it appear they are laying the groundwork for abolition of said freedoms.

The first is belied by everything we know about firearms ownership in this country,
particularly the revenue stream it represents for government. It is also belied by
the logistical impossibility of enforcing a gun-free Philippines. The possibility remains
that a middle ground is their objective: significant reduction rather than abolition
of our freedoms, for which they can sell very expensive case-to-case exemptions,
but hey, they can do this already, at will, without the need for a circus.

The second is supported by the fact that IANSA is the "guest of honor". Lahat
ng puedeng bumatikos sa pakikialam ng IANSA, na hecha-fuera na sa event,
'di ba? My take is that at the end of this big to-do... the summit will present GMA
with a set of anti-gun proposals that IANSA can show off to its donors as a
major accomplishment (to justify even more donor solicitation), whether or not
GMA ever signs the anti-gun crap into law --and there's plenty of reason for her
not to.

As I said in my first post... everything's decided long before the curtains go up.
Arreglado na ang lahat... "scripted", ika nga.

It's important for us to make some noise, to let the government know
we're paying attention as much as we've been paying license fees, but there's
a fine line between making your presence felt, and making a fool of yourself.

h.

edtf
05-15-2009, 04:43

True story.

h.

yeah I agree so lets put up a party list "BOGS" :supergrin:
Seriously gun owners should realy have a party list

horge
05-15-2009, 17:32
yeah I agree so lets put up a party list "BOGS" :supergrin:
Seriously gun owners should realy have a party list

Si Doc Alvin, puedeng puede mag-kandidato.
Kulitin niyo nga...

Wp.22
05-15-2009, 17:59
Si Doc Alvin, puedeng puede mag-kandidato.
Kulitin niyo nga...

Congressman Agustin:supergrin: Pork barrel galore:rofl:

isuzu
05-15-2009, 18:38
whether or not
GMA ever signs the anti-gun crap into law --and there's plenty of reason for her not to.

As I said in my first post... everything's decided long before the curtains go up.
Arreglado na ang lahat... "scripted", ika nga.

I would say she wouldn't sign an anti-gun law. It would greatly affect Armscor. Now, who owns Armscor? The Tuasons who are Mike Arroyo's relatives.

Gun dealers in the Philippines may also have "silent partners" who will take a hit once firearms sales will significantly slow down.

edtf
05-15-2009, 20:12
Congressman Agustin:supergrin: Pork barrel galore:rofl:

Ilan M4 kaya mabibili ng pork barrel :D.

Cong Doc., Ano kailang tayo kakampanya?

BrassKnuckle
05-15-2009, 21:15
Latest update. It looks like GMA and Chief Justice Puno will show up at the summit. We know that the GMA administration has been taking a beating at the UN over the extra-judicial killings. Baka magpa pogi points siya at the expense of law-abiding gun owners.

Sana maging maayos at makatarungan ang usapan sa summit.

horge
05-15-2009, 23:10
I would say she wouldn't sign an anti-gun law. It would greatly affect Armscor. Now, who owns Armscor? The Tuasons who are Mike Arroyo's relatives. Gun dealers in the Philippines may also have "silent partners" who will take a hit once firearms sales will significantly slow down.

Well... :embarassed: I wasn't going to name names, but...
Yeah, them. For starters.

Latest update. It looks like GMA and Chief Justice Puno will show up at the summit. We know that the GMA administration has been taking a beating at the UN over the extra-judicial killings. Baka magpa pogi points siya at the expense of law-abiding gun owners. Sana maging maayos at makatarungan ang usapan sa summit.

Of course GMA will be there.
Like I said, it's all preordained/scripted.
Maximum visibility and photo ops, for the appearance of "doing something".
IIRC, that nit Alpers has been pushing for this dog-and-pony since 2006.

h.

horge
05-18-2009, 20:49
Can't wait for the spin that'll come out of this thing.

mikey177
05-20-2009, 17:19
Any updates on what happened during the summit?

edtf
05-21-2009, 07:35
there is a discussion at PG regarding this:

http://www.pinoyguns.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12408&start=25

i_am_infinity
05-21-2009, 21:14
Just read this on the paper just this morning...it seems that Legitimate Gun Owner's takes a fall again...

Click the Link > PNP 6 gun free zones (http://mb.com.ph/node/201569)

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has identified five tourist spots and a Mindanao city as pilot project areas of the gun-free zones it has been pushing as an initial step to turn the country into a gunless society.

Director General Jesus Verzosa, PNP chief, said discussions are still on going on the implementing rules and guidelines once the gun-free zone project is launched in Boracay in Aklan, Panglao in Bohol, Baguio City, Tagaytay City, San Juan town in Batangas, and Zamboanga City.

Verzosa explained that the initial phase of the project only limits the carrying of firearms to the policemen manning the tourist spots and that all civilians, even politicians and VIPs and their bodyguards, will not be allowed to carry any type of firearms inside the gun-free zones.

"There are recommendations to suspend the permit to carry firearms in the tourist areas or the display of firearms by uniformed and non-uniformed personnel will be prohibited para hindi maging alarming sa ating mga tourist to maintain a peaceful community," said Verzosa in an interview in Camp Crame.

But Verzosa said recommendation to ban even policemen from carrying firearms inside the gun-free zones will follow once the initial phase of the project becomes successful based on PNP assessments.

"We are looking at having patrol and traffic policemen on the streets to be not carrying firearms. Yung firearms nandun na lang sa patrol cars nila," he said.

A partial gun ban, however, is already being implemented in Zamboanga City, said Verzosa, adding that they attribute the success of the project in downtown Zamboanga City to the series of neutralizations of threat groups in the area.

Chief Superintendent Ireno Bacolod, director of the Firearms and Explosive Division and concurrent chief of the Civil Security Group, said that the success of the gun-free zone project in the six identified areas would mean setting up of more pilot projects across the country.

"We are actually planning to have one pilot area in every region. The main priorities for this project based on our initial discussions are the tourist destinations in the country," Bacolod told reporters in an interview.

"There will be checkpoints in these gun free zones and civilians have to deposit their firearms," he added.

Aside from popular tourist destinations, Bacolod said they are also eyeing the inclusion of business districts and establishments for the program.

The setting up of gun-free zones is among the measures being mapped out by the PNP to address the proliferation of firearms in the country, following police data revealing that majority of the crime incidents in the country are related to loose firearms.

A data from the World Health Organization also revealed that 97.7 percent of homicide cases in the Philippines is gun-related, placing the country to number 10 among countries with the most number of gun-related deaths around the world.

At present, top police officials admitted that there are an estimated 1.1 milion loose firearms in the country.

But Bacolod said they are yet to discuss the gun-free zone program with the National Police Commission and other government agencies.

He, however, said that they are coordinating with local peace and order councils across the country for the identification of the places which will be turned into gun-free zones.

CatsMeow
05-21-2009, 21:24
Yeah right, as if criminals would just leave their guns when they enter those "gun free zones".

The PNP needs a crash course in logic. I took it in college, perhaps it wasn't part of their course?

darwin25
05-21-2009, 22:00
PAKINGSYET.

Where do these morons get their logic?

darwin25
05-21-2009, 22:04
I think I'm going to vote for Erap as president so he can end this BS

horge
05-21-2009, 22:45
Someone should track the crime rate in these suddenly "gun-free" mini-utopias.

darth board
05-21-2009, 22:49
PAKINGSYET.

Where do these morons get their logic?mukhang tama nga si miriam santiago nung tinawag niyang autistic si versosa. hindi lang autistic hibang pa.:steamed:

edtf
05-22-2009, 01:14
hhhmmmmm... so where do we leave the firearms when he get to the city - like Baguio? Dami kong kilala nagdadala ng loose sa baguio nga eh

i_am_infinity
05-22-2009, 01:19
to think that Baguio's crime rate rise is not because of Gun related issues but Gangwars...

darth board
05-22-2009, 01:49
hhhmmmmm... so where do we leave the firearms when he get to the city - like Baguio? Dami kong kilala nagdadala ng loose sa baguio nga ehpaano na yung pma superintendent's cup? yung mga palaro sa tierra del fuego? tutal nasa congress si jack enrile sana ipitin yung budget ng pnp.

Wp.22
05-22-2009, 02:24
to think that Baguio's crime rate rise is not because of Gun related issues but Gangwars...

Gangwars na tyempo yung rumble na nandoon ang crew na ABS CBN:whistling:

st. matthew
05-22-2009, 02:56
yaikss!!

bakit naman napasama ang baguio sa list??:steamed:

ang dapat ipagbawal granada hindi baril!!:supergrin:

liveandletlive
05-22-2009, 04:36
Quick fix... like always.

Miriam for President!!!

edtf
05-22-2009, 05:30
haven't they noticed that most of the massacres or mass shooting in the US happened in gun free areas??? Let those nuts try it out in lets say a firing range or in kaymig during a shooters get together

paltik45
05-22-2009, 19:39
Eh PUT@#GNA nila bakit di nila Implementa yan sa mga kampo ng MILF, MNLF at identified abu,s area.:steamed: yan na nga ba sinasabi ko eh.

i_am_infinity
05-22-2009, 21:30
easy easy....

i_am_infinity
06-30-2009, 09:52
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/208370/pnp-starts-drive-vs-loose-firearms

Here they come....

PNP starts drive vs loose firearms
By AARON B. RECUENCO
June 29, 2009, 6:47pm

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has started its house-to-house campaign for gun owners to register their loose firearms.

The campaign aims to register at least 33,000 loose firearms every month, starting July, said Senior Supt. Leonardo Espina, PNP spokesman.

Police estimated that there are 1.1 million loose firearms across the country.

Espina said the PNP hopes to account for all of the illegal firearms within three years.

“If we succeed in having 33,000 loose firearms registered every month then we have more or less 400,000 in one year, that’s a big reduction,” Espina told reporters.

Espina said they will be employing two strategies in the campaign, one is through the gun amnesty which will be the last and final phase and the other one is through aggressive operations especially against criminal syndicates.

As to the gun amnesty, Espina said they have already started the house-to-house strategy on delinquent owners, wherein policemen across the country were instructed to deliver an invitation and notice for them to renew their firearms.

“The database of our FED (Firearms and Explosive Division) really helped a lot in this campaign. So we used this database in tracking down those who failed to renew their firearms and in sending an invitation for them to avail of the gun amnesty,” said Espina.

Espina explained that delinquent gun owners have four months to register their firearms—possibly starting tomorrow July 1 until the end of October—the target period of the gun amnesty.

The official said they have already conducted the final meeting Monday as to how the gun amnesty will be implemented and they are currently waiting now for President Arroyo to approve their recommendation for the amnesty to start on July 1.

“If they fail to register within this period, they could face a search warrant for illegal possession of firearms,” said Espina.

The good news about the gun amnesty, the official explained, is that all the penalties incurred for not renewing the firearms will already be waived, even if the gun was last registered 10 years or more than 10 years ago.

Records revealed that of the estimated 1.1 million loose firearms, 50 percent are unregistered, 40 percent were not renewed while the remaining 10 percent are in the hands of threat groups such as the communist rebels, Abu Sayyaf and Moro rebels and even criminal syndicates.

Espina said that while they appear to be soft in dealing with delinquent gun owners, this is not the case when it comes to criminal syndicates, especially those engaged in gun smuggling.