SAPI Plates [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SAPI Plates

NDC187
05-12-2009, 22:20
Hey, I was wondering what plates you guys got issued. There is the regular ceramic and then there is the esapi. I swear we were issued plates that felt like steel or some type of metal mix. They were thicker and heavier then the regular ceramics and almost look like the fabric is covering a rough metal cut?

But the esapi is a new ceramic mix. I was hoping someone could help me, cause im confused. Were those plates actually ceramic?

The Maggy
05-12-2009, 22:38
the old black SAPI plates where a type of ceramic. The Green ESAPI plates, I always thought they where the SAPI ceramic plus a metal plate. Wiki says the ESAPI is Boron Carbide, the 3rd hardest substance on earth behind Diamonds and Boron Nitride.

NDC187
05-12-2009, 22:43
yours were green? Ours were black...hrmm.. this is really bugging me.

On the back of the plate did it have a rough texture like it was cut metal covered by fabric? I mean hell it was heavy and thick and felt like metal. interesting.

Yeah i found that wiki aswell.

edit

The Maggy
05-12-2009, 22:53
black=SAPI Green=ESAPI, the label on the back of the plate, if it doesn't say enhanced anywhere on it then you have the old SAPI plates. If there is no label on the back of it then chances are you have the old SAPI plates. If you aren't in IRAQ or Afghanistan its not a huge deal, just let your squad leader or who ever know.

NDC187
05-12-2009, 23:01
LOL, no man. that's the thing. i did two tours. I was in 2005-2008. im out now. we were issued the esapi's but they were black.

your talking about the color of the fabric right or the label? Maybe they changed the color...I don't know.

edit: im trying to find pictures now. Or were they a dark green and i didnt know it, looked black to me. I just knew it when i wore the damn things.

The Maggy
05-12-2009, 23:10
We got our DCU IBA's in early 05, they came with the black plates. The normal SAPI plates. We carried those into Iraq and where issued the green ESAPI's once we ripped our unit because the army didnt have enough to go around, we passed those off to the 82nd when they replaced us in 06. Once we came back we where issued ESAPI's again from our CIF and we kept them. I saw alot of ESAPI plates and I never saw black one.

NDC187
05-12-2009, 23:12
Your right, they do look kinda green.

http://www.kdhdefensesystems.com/ESAPI_Image.htm

We were one of the first unit's to rock the digital in 05

edit: i always thought the damn things were black LMAO!!

that's one thing i was able to sneak away with. the dcu iba.

bennwj
05-15-2009, 19:14
Here is an ESAPI that took a hunk of RPG and a 7.62 round

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=635

Javelin
05-15-2009, 19:21
Here is an ESAPI that took a hunk of RPG and a 7.62 round

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=635

The handle with care portion of those plates always made me chuckle.

bennwj
05-15-2009, 19:22
The handle with care portion of those plates always made me chuckle.

No kidding. "Do Not Drop":rofl::rofl::rofl:

NDC187
05-15-2009, 21:50
well the regular sapi's i wouldnt drop. thats a crazy pic. what happened to the guy wearing it?

i really wonder what the full damage of those could take. i know it has to be beyond 7.62

bennwj
05-16-2009, 09:04
well the regular sapi's i wouldnt drop. thats a crazy pic. what happened to the guy wearing it?

i really wonder what the full damage of those could take. i know it has to be beyond 7.62

He was riding in the left rear seat of an 1114. An RPG-9 hit the window a few inches from his face. He rolled out of the vehicle (he was on fire) and took a 7.62 to the upper chest area of his plate. He also took a round to his bicep so his right arm was worthless. He ditched his gear, grabbed a rifle from a wounded Soldier and charged the ambush site. Once the firing died down, he came back to the casualty collection point we had set up and helped treat the other 9 casualties. Firing picked up again and he grabbed a M-4 from a medic and charged the ambush site again. He killed more people than cancer that day.

I personally wrote his silver star recommendation.

They were able to sew his ear and lower lip back on, but his arm kept going numb. He will be medically retired on 4 JUL 09.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=636

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=634

Javelin
05-16-2009, 09:09
He was riding in the left rear seat of an 1114. An RPG-9 hit the window a few inches from his face. He rolled out of the vehicle (he was on fire) and took a 7.62 to the upper chest area of his plate. He also took a round to his bicep so his right arm was worthless. He ditched his gear, grabbed a rifle from a wounded Soldier and charged the ambush site. Once the firing died down, he came back to the casualty collection point we had set up and helped treat the other 9 casualties. Firing picked up again and he grabbed a M-4 from a medic and charged the ambush site again. He killed more people than cancer that day.

They were able to sew his ear and lower lip back on, but his arm kept going numb. He will be medically retired on 4 JUL 09.

This Soldier exemplifies courage. Be sure that this Soldier gets in touch with the folks at the Military Order of the Purple Heart so the VA does not give him 20% disability pats him on the head and forgets about him. If you need some contact info for the folks that can help him PM me.

:wavey:

NDC187
05-16-2009, 11:56

Thats what the hell im talking about! Excellent fing job!! :patriot:

bennwj
05-16-2009, 12:48
This Soldier exemplifies courage. Be sure that this Soldier gets in touch with the folks at the Military Order of the Purple Heart so the VA does not give him 20% disability pats him on the head and forgets about him. If you need some contact info for the folks that can help him PM me.

He is being medically retired at 100%. His right arm will just go numb at times and he can not move it well. Other times it is fairly good. He also had some nerve damage to his face, and the burns on his face and torso.

I think he gets 80% from the Army and 20% from the VA.

The incident happened two years ago this August, and he made SFC about 6 months ago, so that worked out pretty well for him.

He had a really god advocate at the Wounded Warrior program. Thank God they are able to take care of us much better now.

deadday
05-16-2009, 13:52
He is being medically retired at 100%. His right arm will just go numb at times and he can not move it well. Other times it is fairly good. He also had some nerve damage to his face, and the burns on his face and torso.

I think he gets 80% from the Army and 20% from the VA.

The incident happened two years ago this August, and he made SFC about 6 months ago, so that worked out pretty well for him.

He had a really god advocate at the Wounded Warrior program. Thank God they are able to take care of us much better now.

I just LOVE that ****! I'm loads of fun to go shopping with...If I'm not paying attention I'll start grabbing things with my left hand....every now and again my left hand/arm witll either go numb, or my hand will lock open/closed....you can see where this is going :rofl:

I had SAPI plates in both my DCU and BDU IBA....

glowworm3980
05-23-2009, 16:06
Not sure if yall are aware, there were a recall on some of the plates that were issued. I don't have the numbers of which series where recalled, but apparently that didn't stop rounds as there were suppose to. FOR REAL????? I believe they were the black ones. Bad memory, we did this about 3-4 months ago.

Javelin
05-23-2009, 16:18
Not sure if yall are aware, there were a recall on some of the plates that were issued. I don't have the numbers of which series where recalled, but apparently that didn't stop rounds as there were suppose to. FOR REAL????? I believe they were the black ones. Bad memory, we did this about 3-4 months ago.

It was a very small amount and they were identified and pulled/returned for replacement back in 2005.

glowworm3980
05-23-2009, 19:03
Not sure about the 2005. I know that our comand had us pull all our plates and verify SN's to see if they were on the list. CIF was issuing these to incoming soldiers.

Javelin
05-23-2009, 19:09
Not sure about the 2005. I know that our comand had us pull all our plates and verify SN's to see if they were on the list. CIF was issuing these to incoming soldiers.

We had the memorandum right before our second tour to Iraq in 2005. There might have been another recall after 2007 but IDK b/c I am no longer in.

glowworm3980
05-23-2009, 19:31
Congrats, guess it was just here where there were issues.

Javelin
05-23-2009, 22:08
Congrats, guess it was just here where there were issues.

It was an Army-Wide recall in 2005 (and a big PITA b/c I was selected to gather the SN#s for our Battalion). How many recalls have their been since 2005?

glowworm3980
05-24-2009, 07:15
Not sure Army wide. But we found 6 in out PLT alone.

Training Junkie
06-05-2009, 18:01
There's another recall which started last fall and continues. They also have a recall for some of the ACH's.

But we get to turn in our IBA's for the new IOTV before deployment. YEAH!!!!!

Javelin
06-05-2009, 18:07
There's another recall which started last fall and continues. They also have a recall for some of the ACH's.

But we get to turn in our IBA's for the new IOTV before deployment. YEAH!!!!!

Those IOTV's looks like they just made the shoulder armor, side-plate carriers, and nut flap standard.

Heavy looking if you ask me.

Essayons
06-16-2009, 18:57
Those IOTV's looks like they just made the shoulder armor, side-plate carriers, and nut flap standard.

Heavy looking if you ask me.

They are a million times better than the IBAS. The weight is about the same, perhaps a pound or two more for the IOTV. Our company does not wear the groin or shoulder protecters. You can wear the new vest all day and not have the pain that the iba gave you.

AK_Stick
07-13-2009, 07:04
LOL, no man. that's the thing. i did two tours. I was in 2005-2008. im out now. we were issued the esapi's but they were black.

your talking about the color of the fabric right or the label? Maybe they changed the color...I don't know.

edit: im trying to find pictures now. Or were they a dark green and i didnt know it, looked black to me. I just knew it when i wore the damn things.

If you had black plates, you were wearing standard SAPI's.

I know we still had standard SAPI's in our IBA's in 05, but we had ESAPI's in our flight gear.

Now they issue us so much crap, side plates, daps, groin flaps. I wish we could just go to a plate carrier and call it a day. I don't need a full vest if I'm going to cover 2/3 of it with plates.....

NDC187
08-26-2009, 09:02
I rather just have a lbv or empty molle carrier and roll SEAL style. But thats me. I got tired of feeling like I was going to be shot into outer space from a cannon. With all my gear and saw barrels I weighed 380 lbs. I felt very agile, lol.

I honestly could not tell the color difference between the plates until he pointed it out. I thought they were black but a different shade.

Bren
08-28-2009, 08:12
They are a million times better than the IBAS. The weight is about the same, perhaps a pound or two more for the IOTV. Our company does not wear the groin or shoulder protecters. You can wear the new vest all day and not have the pain that the iba gave you.

Everybody in my detachment has both an IBA and an IOTV and I think most prefer the IBA. I'm wearing the IOTV, but only because I put all my crap on it when I got it and I'm too lazy to switch back. When I get back to the FOB where it is, I may switch back to the IBA, but that will be 3-4 weeks.