Getting stationed @ Barksdale. how's the area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting stationed @ Barksdale. how's the area?

Rocknropes
05-14-2009, 08:31
Ok, so I read that the area around Barksdale ( shreveport/Bossier city) isn't all that great and crime is on the rise, but can anyone recommend a house or appartment complex near the base that is decent, safe, and within 30 min of the AFB ? I would really appreciate it. So far my gf and I have found a few places but arent' sure about the area. we've read reviews but want to get more opinions. she narrowed down today to : chimney hill apts and stockwell apts. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Nameless 19
05-15-2009, 13:27
Welcome to N.W. Louisiana. I live south of Minden, and know quiet a few people that commute from Minden, Sibley, and Haughton to work in Bossier and Shreveport. I can't suggest anything specific, but don't forget about the smaller towns in the area.

Rocknropes
05-15-2009, 21:15
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be reporting on June 8th, So we hope to have a place already lined up. My gf is doing all the searching but I'll mention to her the places you had mentioned. by the way, any cool gun shops to check out or avoid? any good places to shoot rifles (100+ yards)? thanks again.

EOQUIN
05-18-2009, 19:18
There is a nice 1000 yard range just south of Shreveport off I-49. :wow:

Rocknropes
05-22-2009, 15:37
There is a nice 1000 yard range just south of Shreveport off I-49. :wow:

sounds good! do you know the name of it? I'll definitely check that out once Im there.

EOQUIN
05-22-2009, 15:59
I believe it is Long Range Alley. Try google. :cool:

germ5150
05-24-2009, 12:50
If 30 minutes is your radius then you have tons of options. North Bossier is certainly nice and there are some great apartments north of I220 on Airline. I definitely recommend Bossier over S'port these days. :( BTW north bossier puts you really close to Clarks Custom Guns (http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/index.html) which has a 400 yard range and it is the home of Jerry Miculek which means there some really cool tournaments that get held there (Chevy Challenge and speed shooting stuff). They aren't huge plastic pistol fans but they do some amazing stuff with 1911's.

leVieux
06-03-2009, 21:04
You have been told correctly; But, SP is just a couple hours from Lafayette, Lake Charles, and Baton Rouge; which are much better cities. Also, you won't be too far from Dallas, TX. Be sure to get the state tourism books from both states and get someone with local knowledge to point out the more interesting places to visit. There are some neat things in Southern Arkansas, too. Welcome to LA.
Thank you for your service to our Country.
leVieux
Chocolate City,
Occupied Louisiana

dr.skeet
06-30-2009, 09:51
by what standards? i was born in south louisiana and have worked for the state for 20 years, living in a dozen communities of my choosing, shreveport for the past ten years. i wouldn't live anywhere else in this state, other than perhaps in st. tammany parish. lake charles and baton rouge are both crime-ridden toxic cesspools and lafayette isn't much better, all suffer from hideous local corruption and bigotry. new orleans, with all of it's lost charm, has little to offer these days. shreveport is middle-of-the-road when compared to comparable cities on the national level, but inside the state, it has become the pick of the litter. sure, it has it's flaws, including a few "bad areas", but the good side of town, primarily the east side, is a nice, affordable place to live.