A substitute for Google Video? Need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A substitute for Google Video? Need help

leadthrower
05-14-2009, 17:10
Hey guys,

Ya'll did a great job helping me with my last tech problem, so I thought I'd come back.

I'm in charge of taking care of all the videos that my college is taking of it's class so that later on we can offer correspondence courses. We're using Moodle.com as our course management program system, for those of you who know what that is.

Anyway, Google Video has recently shut down with the purchase of YouTube by Google.

Does anyone know of a video hosting site that was similar to Google Video in that it did not have a movie length restriction or a cap on how much you could upload at a given times?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help I can get.

LT

jtm62
05-14-2009, 17:33
Hey guys,

Ya'll did a great job helping me with my last tech problem, so I thought I'd come back.

I'm in charge of taking care of all the videos that my college is taking of it's class so that later on we can offer correspondence courses. We're using Moodle.com as our course management program system, for those of you who know what that is.

Anyway, Google Video has recently shut down with the purchase of YouTube by Google.

Does anyone know of a video hosting site that was similar to Google Video in that it did not have a movie length restriction or a cap on how much you could upload at a given times?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help I can get.

LT

Why don't you talk to the university IT department. Ask if they can build a new server to host the videos for you. Hell, they may even have excessive space on an existing server and build that capability in for you. It really isn't that hard of a project for an experienced person... I halfass my way through my video and audio pages.

All you need is a box running Apache and and maybe FTP to get the videos on the box. From there it is as simple as someone building the HTML frontend for the video page.

With this option you are offered a reliable host (I assume your university network is solid), the project will be done in house, and it will have a professional feel to it. That is really what you want with correspondence courses, right? You really don't want ads from your web host on your video footers and whatnot.

leadthrower
05-14-2009, 17:50
HAHA, um......for real.......there are two other students in this college. We're an unaccredited Christian College that moved to GA last fall. We were still getting set up at the beginning of the fall semester and didn't try to recruit any students.
It's a REALLY long story.

But anyway, I am the IT department.

LT

jtm62
05-14-2009, 17:53
HAHA, um......for real.......there are two other students in this college. We're an unaccredited Christian College that moved to GA last fall. We were still getting set up at the beginning of the fall semester and didn't try to recruit any students.
It's a REALLY long story.

But anyway, I am the IT department.

LT

Well, in that case, I suppose that makes my solution a little difficult.

leadthrower
05-14-2009, 17:59
Thanks for the attempt though. And I believe you were the one that helped me tremendously the last time. :wavey:

LT

MavsX
05-14-2009, 19:04
youtube ?

leadthrower
05-14-2009, 20:46
Youtube has a 10 minute limit on videos. These are all an hour at least. That would mean 30 separate videos for each day of class. Nope, sorry. They ain't paying me that much.

But thanks though. :wavey:

LT