OC in South Carolina [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OC in South Carolina

rns-glock37
05-14-2009, 18:55
I've noticed that several states that South Carolina has reciprocity are oc states. is it legal to oc in south carolina?

Glockrunner
05-14-2009, 19:44
I've noticed that several states that South Carolina has reciprocity are oc states. is it legal to oc in south carolina?

While to and from hunting, boating and sports that involve shooting yes but I wouldn't want to push it. Not many folks know the law pertaining to firearms and someone may readily call the cops if ya spook 'em.

Heck, many folks don't even understand the law dealing with carrying a firearm in a vehicle around here.

Glockphobia
05-15-2009, 04:16
is OC legal in SC? - no

Glockrunner
05-15-2009, 04:34
is OC legal in SC? - no

Here is the law:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governorís constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

Yes, it is very limited and no you can not unless you are apart of the above activities.

More of the hand gun laws can be found at this link: http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP#1

Eagle22
05-17-2009, 16:05

SC has reciprocity with NC CCW holders. HOWEVER, we NC ppl have to abide by SC laws. As with any state that has reciprocity with SC.

SC law comes first

southernreign
05-17-2009, 18:26
SC has reciprocity with NC CCW holders. HOWEVER, we NC ppl have to abide by SC laws. As with any state that has reciprocity with SC.

SC law comes first

I live in Charlotte, and often commute into SC... I not only will conceal my firearm... BUT, WILL CONCEAL IT EXTRA CAREFULLY! I would hate some anti-gunner seeing my gun and stating I branished a firearm in public... would not be a good thing.
I too would say do NOT OPEN CARRY in SC... would be a legal headache...
they tried to get Opencarry back legally again, but it failed to pass again the legislation process.