Anyone hunting spring turkey? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunting spring turkey?

Flatulence
05-15-2009, 21:05
So far:

Turkeys: 5
Me: 0

What setup are you all using?

Diamond Iceman with 125g Gobbler Guillotines, Thunderhead backups.

Nestor
05-15-2009, 21:06
I'm only hunting for the smoked turkey.
It's way easier IMO :)

El Dave
05-15-2009, 21:32
I did. The season is over down here now. It was my first season really hunting them.

I heard a lot of gobbles. Got busted by one who I think was really coming strong to my calling. It was a blast overall , and I can't wait until next season

By the way. You should check out a book called "Tenth Legion" by Tom kelly, if you haven't already. Not only my favorite outdoor book, but one of my favorite books overall.

Oh. My setup is getting there early in the morning in an area I know they frequent. It's a series of food plots for deer on top of a ridge with a road, more of a trail really. and playing it by ear on top, and down on the edges and along the bottoms.

I think you've got me beat, because I finished more like 0-8. Good luck.

What is your setup?

jame
05-15-2009, 21:47
I've got a buddy that shot one on a timber we own last week. He said it wasn't a real big tom, but it's always nice to put one in the bag.

I used to hunt ducks a few years ago, but I grew tired of the dekes, boat, blind, clothes and other necessary hassles and expense.

This turkey huntin' sounds EASY! :whistling:

Flatulence
05-15-2009, 21:50
I did. The season is over down here now. It was my first season really hunting them.

I heard a lot of gobbles. Got busted by one who I think was really coming strong to my calling. It was a blast overall , and I can't wait until next season

By the way. You should check out a book called "Tenth Legion" by Tom kelly, if you haven't already. Not only my favorite outdoor book, but one of my favorite books overall.

Oh. My setup is getting there early in the morning in an area I know they frequent. It's a series of food plots for deer on top of a ridge with a road, more of a trail really. and playing it by ear on top, and down on the edges and along the bottoms.

I think you've got me beat, because I finished more like 0-8. Good luck.

What is your setup?

I dont have you beat. I am 0-5. I am setup on a friends property. They are there at least 4 times a week. I have had some answers to my calls but they have not come close enough for me to see them. I put a blind up on a plateau on top of a hill in his backyard. My buddy sees them (on days I am not there) and sends me cell phone pics. He has sent me pics of groups of 4-26 of them. Season ends here May 30th so I have some time, but I am getting antsy. I want a turkey dinner.

Mikey.Dunn
05-15-2009, 22:04
What are yall hunting with?

prism
05-15-2009, 23:25
turkeys? :)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1115/hotturkeys.gif

agarr
05-17-2009, 10:42
I killed three this year. Off year for me due to weather, henned up Gobblers and other factors.

Killed one in Georgia and two in WA State. Love the Merriams Turkey. By far my favorite subspecies to hunt.

FWIW, I shoot a Custom Browning BPS with a Rhino .660 choke, Burris Fastfire Red dot scope and Nitro Company custom Hevishot loads of 4x5x7 shot.