Apple's TimeMachine (damn) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Apple's TimeMachine (damn)

Green_Manelishi
05-17-2009, 19:29
To make a long story short, is there any free backup software that will not create a Mac-only readable copy of files? Having the files, especially digital pics, usable only by the Mac rather defeats the purpose of the NAS.

stooxie
05-20-2009, 18:46
I'm sorry, but what's your problem?

You want free? Write yourself a cron script that copies your pictures to an NFS or CIFS mounted volume. Better yet use rsync and your troubles will be over.

-Stooxie

JK-linux
05-20-2009, 18:55
You can use the automator.app to copy and shoot your data wherever you would like. Mac can use Samba like most "nix" systems as well for sharing. I personally have an AirPort Extreme router with a USB HDD attached to it. It shares to my MAC's, PC's, AIX and Linux boxes just fine.

J_86
05-20-2009, 20:52
Are you trying to create backups to a NAS or ?

I second using rsync - 100% free, it's built into the unix platform.

hIGH_aND_mIGHTY
05-25-2009, 22:34
Yeah, time machine is not really made to make a backup and then access the content of the backup from other computers. Its there to backup your entire system once and then check and backup any changes on the computer done once an hour. After that you would just access it if you need to grab a specific file/files for that mac that may have been lost or changed, restore the entire system after a failure, or use it to migrate to a new mac. Not for sharing files across multiple devices

I work for Apple in the wireless multimedia department and that includes supporting the time capsule with time machine. I don't know everything but I know some.