US Citizenship for CCW? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : US Citizenship for CCW?

Munich_Germany
05-18-2009, 10:34
Do I have to be a US citizen to apply for a CCW permit in Alabama?
I am a German Army Officer serving in Ft.Rucker, i live near Rucker but I do not have a US citizenship.

Fear Night
05-19-2009, 05:06
Yes, you have to be a legal US citizen. Here are the guidelines for my county:
* The applicant must be a legal citizen of the United States of America, a legal citizen of the State of Alabama, and have primary residence in Shelby County, Alabama.
* The applicant must have an Alabama Driverís License, Alabama Identification Card, or active military identification card.
* The applicant must be at least 21 years of age. At age 19, with the expressed permission of a parent or legal guardian, the Sheriff will consider issuance of a license.
* The applicant must be a responsible individual of good character, who routinely exercises good judgment.
* The applicant must never have been convicted of a criminal felony.
* The applicant must not have been convicted of a criminal misdemeanor within the past three years.
* The applicant must never have been convicted of domestic violence or assault against a spouse of family member.
* The applicant must never have been convicted of any drug charge.
* The applicant must not be a drug addict or a habitual drunkard.
* The pistol permit allows the qualified applicant to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about their person within the State of Alabama for not more than one year from the date of issue.
* The applicant must always have the pistol permit in his/her possession when carrying a concealed firearm.
* A complete criminal history check will be conducted on the applicant prior to the issuance or renewal of the pistol permit.
* The applicant must pay a $20.00 pistol permit fee each year.
http://www.shelbyso.com/page.php?p=permits

hagar
05-19-2009, 07:05
Alabama might be different, but neither AZ or SC had any issues with issueing me a CCW before I had my citizenship. You do have to be in the US with either a green card or an immigrant visa, not a student visa or visitors visa.

Some states issue out of state CCW permits, and may also do so for an overseas gun carry permit.

Norman
05-19-2009, 07:20
Permanent residents are okay in Florida. You have to be a legal Permanent Resident of the U.S., not just a visiting alien. Florida's permit is valid in Alabama (even if you have a non-resident FL permit).

"(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information."

Munich_Germany
05-19-2009, 11:00
Permanent residents are okay in Florida. You have to be a legal Permanent Resident of the U.S., not just a visiting alien. Florida's permit is valid in Alabama (even if you have a non-resident FL permit).

"(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information."

Thanks for your information! Ok in Alabama, i see, i must have the US citizenship. I have a active US military ID card, but that does not matter, i think?
Maybe, is it possible to apply for a CCW permit in Florida, also when I am a legal resident of Alabama, without living in Florida? I think that would be my last possibility.

BamaBud
05-19-2009, 17:03
Thanks for your information! Ok in Alabama, i see, i must have the US citizenship. I have a active US military ID card, but that does not matter, i think?
Maybe, is it possible to apply for a CCW permit in Florida, also when I am a legal resident of Alabama, without living in Florida? I think that would be my last possibility.

For a definitive answer, you need to check with the Sheriff's Department in the county that you have a residence in. The Code of ALabama makes no distinction about citizenship and eligibility. The example cited above (in posting #2) is of Shelby County, your county may be different.

I know in Jefferson County, there is no such restriction. I have several acquaintances that have resident alien status and have gotten thier pistol carry permits.

fatdog
06-01-2009, 15:24
Get a Utah CFP and AL will honor it....they don't require citizenship, just legal residency

GRR
06-01-2009, 18:30
Yes, you have to be a legal US citizen. Here are the guidelines for my county:

http://www.shelbyso.com/page.php?p=permits

Check with the Sheriff in the county where you live. Jefferson County doesn't seem to address the issue.

http://www.jeffcosheriff.net/page.php?p=pistol_permits

Fort Rucker is mostly in Dale County. Their requirements look to be the same as Jefferson County

http://www.dalecountysheriff.com/web/e/pistolfaq.asp

ChrisJn
06-16-2009, 03:07
In the State of Alabama you do NOT have to be a US citizen but you MUST be a permanent LEGAL resident, have a 'green card', and be a resident in the county to which you apply. I have had one for eighteen years.