Imagine My Surprise [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Imagine My Surprise

IndyGunFreak
05-18-2009, 15:34
Today I got a popup saying my computer was infected w/ a virus. It was very cleverly designed to look like a Norton Message (imagine my surprise considering I don't have Norton).... It said it needed to scan my computer, so I said sure...

This was the next window I got (an even bigger surprise, because I don't use Windows)..

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/bullcrap.jpg

Viper16
05-18-2009, 15:53
What distro of linux is that? I am fairly new to linux and am using Ubuntu. :)

Those ad's fool my boss all the time.

g29andy
05-18-2009, 16:06
Ran into that recently, using Ubunto 9.04. Was a faked or hacked website. Did you have trouble closing the window?

MavsX
05-18-2009, 17:16
so IGF are you saying you got a virus in ubuntu ? or is this just malware ?

i love how it says in red "your private data is under attack!"

Good luck man!

IndyGunFreak
05-18-2009, 17:31
What distro of linux is that? I am fairly new to linux and am using Ubuntu. :)

Those ad's fool my boss all the time.

Its Ubuntu 9.04.. I just changed some of the toolbar icons to my liking.

I sure hope I don't have to format and reinstall ... ;)

IGF

IndyGunFreak
05-19-2009, 06:22
Ran into that recently, using Ubunto 9.04. Was a faked or hacked website. Did you have trouble closing the window?

Funny thing was, I was trying to download a Linux theme because someone was having trouble with it, and I was going to see if I could install it or figure out the problem...

and yes, It was difficult to close... Kept popping back up, if you hit cancel, it brought the download.exe back up, if you hit ok, it brought the download.exe up..

I finally just got irritated, took the snapshot, then force killed firefox.. problem solved. ( I did eventually get the theme downloaded though..lol)

IGF

Linux3
05-19-2009, 07:47
Xeyes, you got xeyes on your desktop!
Back in my SGI training days that was the top joke.
Hack into someone else's system and run xeyes in a script that just kept replicating till all system resources were gone. I have not been able to look xeyes in the eye ever again. lol
Ya know. Some people here are going to think you actually got a virus and say "Yup, I knew it was just a matter of time till those Linux folks got hit".
I blame the xeyes.

BigSexy
05-19-2009, 08:31
http://badattitudes.com/MT/gangtux_ubuntu.jpg

IndyGunFreak
05-19-2009, 08:50
Xeyes, you got xeyes on your desktop!
Back in my SGI training days that was the top joke.
Hack into someone else's system and run xeyes in a script that just kept replicating till all system resources were gone. I have not been able to look xeyes in the eye ever again. lol
Ya know. Some people here are going to think you actually got a virus and say "Yup, I knew it was just a matter of time till those Linux folks got hit".
I blame the xeyes.

LOL... You're probably right. Funny thing is, the most trojans I've ever cleared off of a computer before getting irritated and frustrated, was 16, and that computer had almost completely ground to a halt. I couldn't imagine having as many trojans as that popup said I had..lol.

BigSexy.. thats my new avatar!.. ;)

IGF

MavsX
05-19-2009, 18:09
http://badattitudes.com/MT/gangtux_ubuntu.jpg

i like that too. I saved it. I am no where near the genius of a guy named IGF for that to be my avatar.

IndyGunFreak
05-19-2009, 19:02
i like that too. I saved it. I am no where near the genius of a guy named IGF for that to be my avatar.

You'd probably laugh if I told you how many times I screwed up windows installs, Linux installs of various distributions, etc, before I finally managed to get one to work, and work right.(Fedora 5)...

I must have screwed up Windows 3-4x, then finally got irritated, and bought a 40gig hard drive(primary was 120) and used it just for Linux. Then I learned how to clear the MBR of my windows drive, which meant I stopped killing Windows in my fumbling attempts to install and uninstall.

Trust me.. My Linux experience is a long, sometimes frustrating road, filled w/ lots, and lots of chuckholes...lol. I learned from it though, so I guess thats what matters.

IGF

BigSexy
05-20-2009, 07:32
Trust me.. My Linux experience is a long, sometimes frustrating road, filled w/ lots, and lots of chuckholes...lol. I learned from it though, so I guess thats what matters.Everyone I work with has the same story. Can't learn anything if your afraid to screw stuff up.

Linux on the laptop is a bit different from the server hardware I'm use to working with...this whole wireless thing has proved a bit of a challenge. I picked up a t21 cheap that is in excellent condition to tinker with. I must have reloaded it 10 times in the past 3 days screwing with stuff. She's working pretty good now though.

IndyGunFreak
05-20-2009, 07:35
Everyone I work with has the same story. Can't learn anything if your afraid to screw stuff up.

Linux on the laptop is a bit different from the server hardware I'm use to working with...this whole wireless thing has proved a bit of a challenge. I picked up a t21 cheap that is in excellent condition to tinker with. I must have reloaded it 10 times in the past 3 days screwing with stuff. She's working pretty good now though.

Thinkpads generally have a solid reputation when it comes to Linux.

What wireless device is it and what version of Linux.

IGF

BigSexy
05-20-2009, 07:46
Thinkpads generally have a solid reputation when it comes to Linux.

What wireless device is it and what version of Linux.

IGF

Using ubuntu 9.04 now and the wireless is a linksys wpc54g ver 4. From what I have read it's a piece of junk. It was free from a buddy who's t20 went to hell on him.

I'm using ndiswrapper to load the driver for it, and for the most part it works. It's having a problem using WPA2 encryption, with no encryption it works perfectly. You can read all about my trials and tribulations here (http://www.technohillbilly.net/index.php/2009/05/19/ubuntu-part-deux) (language warning). I'm using wicd for network management. The issue I have with WPA now is that it loops in requesting an IP from the router, until it finally gives up. I left the machine on while I was working in the garage for a couple hours last night and apparently at some point it connected with the encryption, and everyting was fine. I set ndiswrapper in the modules file, rebooted to test and I had the same looping problem. With no encryption it works fine.

I used to live with the affore mentioned buddy when he was using this card in his t20. I'm pretty sure we had problems getting it to use WPA encryption in windows back then as well.

MavsX
05-20-2009, 07:50
You'd probably laugh if I told you how many times I screwed up windows installs, Linux installs of various distributions, etc, before I finally managed to get one to work, and work right.(Fedora 5)...

I must have screwed up Windows 3-4x, then finally got irritated, and bought a 40gig hard drive(primary was 120) and used it just for Linux. Then I learned how to clear the MBR of my windows drive, which meant I stopped killing Windows in my fumbling attempts to install and uninstall.

Trust me.. My Linux experience is a long, sometimes frustrating road, filled w/ lots, and lots of chuckholes...lol. I learned from it though, so I guess thats what matters.

IGF

a couple of years ago i installed linux on a laptop i had, i created a new partition for a "swap" drive for linux, i ended up destroying my windows partition. doh!

Linux3
05-20-2009, 07:52
Using ubuntu 9.04 now and the wireless is a linksys wpc54g ver 4. From what I have read it's a piece of junk. It was free from a buddy who's t20 went to hell on him.

I'm using ndiswrapper to load the driver for it, and for the most part it works. It's having a problem using WPA2 encryption, with no encryption it works perfectly.
I used to live with the affore mentioned buddy when he was using this card in his t20. I'm pretty sure we had problems getting it to use WPA encryption in windows back then as well.
Remember, WPA has to be baked into the network card too, not just the router.
It could very well be that your old wireless card just doesn't support WPA. I have no clue as to upgrading firmware on them.
I bought a new internal card for my T42 from ebay but be aware that anycard you buy for a thinkpad has to be supported in the bios. Not just any mini-pci card will work.
I upgraded the bios on my T42 and then had to hack it to accept a non-thinkpad card. Not for the faint at heart.

IndyGunFreak
05-20-2009, 07:54

I'm using ndiswrapper to load the driver for it, and for the most part it works. It's having a problem using WPA2 encryption, with no encryption it works perfectly. You can read all about my trials and tribulations here (http://www.technohillbilly.net/index.php/2009/05/19/ubuntu-part-deux) (language warning). I'm using wicd for network management. The issue I have with WPA now is that it loops in requesting an IP from the router, until it finally gives up. I left the machine on while I was working in the garage for a couple hours last night and apparently at some point it connected with the encryption, and everyting was fine. I set ndiswrapper in the modules file, rebooted to test and I had the same looping problem. With no encryption it works fine.

Just looking here...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=628087&sku=L48-2206&srkey=linksys%20wpc54g

It looks like the device is fairly old, and it may not support WPA. It looks like it only supports WEP. I know what the description says, but look at the specifications.

This link might prove useful if you want to get a card that supports WPA.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

BigSexy
05-20-2009, 08:07
Just looking here...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=628087&sku=L48-2206&srkey=linksys%20wpc54g

It looks like the device is fairly old, and it may not support WPA. It looks like it only supports WEP. I know what the description says, but look at the specifications.

This link might prove useful if you want to get a card that supports WPA.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Pretty much what I figured. I'll see if I can't find one off of that list, thanks for the link.

IndyGunFreak
05-20-2009, 08:25
Pretty much what I figured. I'll see if I can't find one off of that list, thanks for the link.

My suggestion to you when looking through that list... Avoid anything w/ a Ralink chipset like the plague of locusts. Atheros will typically work quite well with Linux (and Ubuntu has pretty good driver support for them)... Broadcom usually requires a Firmware upgrade to work properly, but once thats done, its not to bad.

Again, just a suggestion, but looking here, this looks fairly current, and the first card on the PCMIA list, appears to be work out of the box.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsDlink

Hope you get it going.. Wireless is one of those frustrating things w/ Linux, but it has gotten SO much better in the last year or 2.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
05-20-2009, 08:35
Don't mean to be a pest, but I'm bored to death today.

http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/browse/product+atheros-airplus-xtremeg-dwl-g650-wireless-pcmcia-adapter?id=6538

and cheap to boot...
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G650-Wireless-Cardbus-Adapter/dp/B00007LTB6

BigSexy
05-20-2009, 08:47
Thanks man, looks like a winner to me. They have some "free 30 bucks when you get an amazon visa" deal. I need some cat5 as well, that should about cover it.

IndyGunFreak
05-20-2009, 09:13
Thanks man, looks like a winner to me. They have some "free 30 bucks when you get an amazon visa" deal. I need some cat5 as well, that should about cover it.

Well that works out well then....

Just remember when you try to use the wireless device, you might need to disable any internal wireless device that might be on the laptop. Usually the BIOS is the best place to do this.

IGF