South Carolina: Right-to-Carry Bill Heading to Senate for Concurrence! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina: Right-to-Carry Bill Heading to Senate for Concurrence!

Carbonfly
05-19-2009, 05:40
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4881

Start contacting your senators!

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="newsHead1" align="center">South Carolina: Right-to-Carry Reform Bill Heading to Senate for Concurrence! </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="copy">Monday, May 18, 2009</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="copy"> Please Contact Your State Senator!
Senate Bill 593 (http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_2009-2010/bills/593.htm), which would allow law abiding Right-to-Carry permit holders to possess their firearm while picking up or dropping off a student on school grounds, was passed by the Senate on April 29. On Thursday, May 14, the House amended the bill to allow ALL law-abiding citizens the ability to possess their firearm while picking up or dropping off a student on school grounds.
This legislation, sponsored by State Senator Shane Martin (R-13), only allows a firearm to be in the vehicle, either carried or secured, and does not allow carrying on school property while outside the vehicle. S. 593 now moves back to the Senate. The Senate can either vote to accept the new House language, or insist on its original language that impacts only Right-to-Carry permit holders. If the Senate accepts the new language, the bill will go to the Governor. If it rejects the House language, the bill will go to a conference committee made up of House and Senate members.
Please call your State Senator and respectfully urge him to support S. 593 as passed by the House. Regardless of how the Senate acts, NRA will work with lawmakers to ensure passage of the best language possible. Contact information for your State Senator can be found here (https://www.nramail.org/owa/?ae=Item&a=New&t=IPM.Note).
</td></tr></tbody></table>

45/70 marlin
05-19-2009, 13:37
I sure hope that this passes.

Glockrunner
05-20-2009, 05:44
5/15/2009 House Read third time and returned to Senate with amendments
HJ-2

This Bill as re-written will not allow CWP holders OR citizens of SC to carry a firearm concealled on the school property. I was the intent to allow only CWP holders the ability to carry while in their automobile while picking up/dropping off someone to/from school.

Now amended, it will allow all citizens this right BUT the firearm must be stored in accordance with previously written laws pertaining to all citizens that carry a firearm in a vehicle.

I personally don't think this will pass this year. Pray I am wrong.

Glockrunner
05-20-2009, 14:55
Sen. Knotts withdrew his amendment to S. 593 and asked unanimous consent to non-concur with the House version of S. 593. The bill will now go to conference committee.

Bla...Bla...Bla... there it goes...

Glockrunner
05-20-2009, 19:32
Unless the conference committee is granted the power to rewrite the bill, the conferees must choose either the House version or the Senate version.

You need to contact your House members and let them know you want the Senate version approved this session so that we can start carrying by the time school starts in the late summer.

Glockrunner
05-21-2009, 20:39
Looks like we won another one folks. Should be sitting on the Governors desk for his signature real soon! :wow:

The Senate version passed. Only people that have a CWP will be allowed to transport a firearm onto and off school grounds.

Carbonfly
05-22-2009, 08:17
Looks like we won another one folks. Should be sitting on the Governors desk for his signature real soon! :wow:

The Senate version passed. Only people that have a CWP will be allowed to transport a firearm onto and off school grounds.

Good. Maybe more people will go out to get their CWP then.

hpj3
05-26-2009, 20:37

===========================================
Yeah... the version that allowed non-permit holders to go on school grounds was (in my mind) a ploy to get it killed since non-permit holders are prevented by federal law... only permit holders are exempt.

Howard

Carbonfly
05-28-2009, 12:28
Ok, so this was ratified yesterday. Now that means that once the Governor signs it then it goes into effect right? So if he signs it today, then tomorrow I could have my gun in my car while on school campus.

Can't wait!

Thx-1138
05-28-2009, 16:51
Yeah... the version that allowed non-permit holders to go on school grounds was (in my mind) a ploy to get it killed since non-permit holders are prevented by federal law... only permit holders are exempt.

The Federal law that bans firearms on or near school property has a clause that states can designate people to be exempt from the federal law. In Montana, they passed a law that exempts every resident of the state.

bdurham
05-29-2009, 08:31
I'm a member of Grassroots and they sent an alert out yesterday for everyone to call the Governor and urge him to pass this bill. Everyone who is interested in CCW should check in on Grassroots in SC they really do more for us locally than NRA does and I belong to them also.

Glockrunner
05-29-2009, 18:35
I'm a member of Grassroots and they sent an alert out yesterday for everyone to call the Governor and urge him to pass this bill. Everyone who is interested in CCW should check in on Grassroots in SC they really do more for us locally than NRA does and I belong to them also.

As an active member I can state that is a fact! We get things done, period. Look um up at the Gun Show. Find us on line.

I ask though that you join, and help share some of the responsibility in getting our laws in SC to reflect what we, the people want. It is working, yea slow but only because we are still a relatively small newly formed group.

See what we are doing: www.scfirearms.org

Come join in on the fun of making the gov't work for your gun ownership rights!

hpj3
06-02-2009, 23:36
The Federal law that bans firearms on or near school property has a clause that states can designate people to be exempt from the federal law. In Montana, they passed a law that exempts every resident of the state.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haven't heard about the MT law (my son lives there), but as far as I can tell, those states allowing campus carry require a permit IAW the following:

Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 922
<BS snipped>

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm--(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is--
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
<snipped>

FLM
06-03-2009, 13:25
Bill S. 593 - sponsored by Senator Shane Martin (R-Spartanburg) - was signed into law yesterday by Governor Sanford! This law allows SC concealed weapon permit holders to have a firearm in the glove compartment, console or trunk of a vehicle while on school or college property in this state.

VB14
06-05-2009, 18:59
If you're dropping your kid to school, do you have to unholster and put your gun in the glove box before you reach the school ground?

Glockrunner
06-05-2009, 19:04
If you're dropping your kid to school, do you have to unholster and put your gun in the glove box before you reach the school ground?

Yes that is correct.

VB14
06-05-2009, 19:18
Yes that is correct.

Thanks for the quick reply!

WhtCivic93
06-17-2009, 10:02
So just for further clarification, this was passed, and it IS now legal for CWP holders to leave their weapons in the vehicle while on school properties?

WantMoreGlocks
06-25-2009, 20:37
My wife is a teacher, and CWP holder here in SC. Does that mean she can leave her weapon in the car all day while she is teaching?

VB14
06-26-2009, 06:39
Yes, she won't be breaking the law if she does. But she might want to check the school policy about it.