Яange report: 9mm Wolf ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Яange report: 9mm Wolf ammo

CitizenOfDreams
05-19-2009, 19:29
I have heard all kinds of horror stories about Wolf ammunition made by my former compatriots in Russia. Yesterday I received a long awaited shipment from Cabela's, so I went to the range and tried a couple of boxes...

Horror story #1: "it's dirty". False. In fact, it was the cleanest ammo I ever shot in my Glock 26 (including Federal American Eagle, PMC Bronze, Remington UMC, Georgia Arms and Precision Delta). The receiver only needed a slight wipe with a Q-tip. The barrel had none of the lead deposits I usually see there. The slide had none of the typical copper flakes from the bullet jackets.

Horror story #2: "it stinks". Again, I did not find that to be true. In fact, the only smells at the range that day came from Eley .22LR cartridges and from my own armpits.

Horror story #3: "it does not feed or eject reliably". So far, false: out of 100 rounds, 0 failures to feed, 0 failures to eject. I still have 900 rounds left, so I will post another report after it's all gone.

Horror story #4: "steel cases are hard on extractor". Impossible to tell after only 100 rounds, but so far I did not notice any abnormal wear on the extractor or any other parts.

Horror story #5: "hard primers". Unfortunately, that one came out to be true: I encountered 1 failure to fire. The primer got a perfect dent, but did not go boom (the round fired successfully on the 2nd attempt).

Jeff82
05-19-2009, 19:32
<tag>

Fire_Medic
05-19-2009, 19:37
Shoot 1,000 rounds with it then review all of what you said, 100 rounds is nothing. I shot 1,000 rounds of it through an Old G19 last year and it was fine, especially for the price. What I did not like was through my G19 the wolf ammo did not give me tight groups shooting, I even loaded a mag with Wolff and a mag with PMC Bronze one day side by side and the PMC is way more accurate ammo. Aside from that though, it was fine. I had no other complaints. Maybe I just got a bad batch or something.

djegators
05-19-2009, 19:44
I am no expert, but I still will not shoot Wolf in anything but my AKs. I fear that the hardness of the case will over time shorten the life span of the weapon, mainly due to the cartridge expansion that takes place when fired. In brass cases, they expand, and then contract, but steel cases do not contract. Combine the lack of contraction, and the hardness of the steel, I choose not to shoot it. I could be wrong on this, but I feel better factory loaded brass in my GLOCKS.

Javelin
05-19-2009, 19:46
I am no expert, but I still will not shoot Wolf in anything but my AKs. I fear that the hardness of the case will over time shorten the life span of the weapon, mainly due to the cartridge expansion that takes place when fired. In brass cases, they expand, and then contract, but steel cases do not contract. Combine the lack of contraction, and the hardness of the steel, I choose not to shoot it. I could be wrong on this, but I feel better factory loaded brass in my GLOCKS.

I did not know that brass contracts.

CitizenOfDreams
05-19-2009, 19:48
What I did not like was through my G19 the wolf ammo did not give me tight groups shooting, I even loaded a mag with Wolff and a mag with PMC Bronze one day side by side and the PMC is way more accurate ammo.
Unfortunately, my shooting skills do not allow me to make a qualified comparison. I shot better groups than usual today, but I cannot tell if it was the ammo, a better grip (I'm still working on it), a better trigger control, a different target (black bullseye instead of my usual red), my practice with a .22 pistol, or just weather (it's raining cats, dogs and alligators here in Florida).

Fire_Medic
05-19-2009, 19:50
Unfortunately, my shooting skills do not allow me to make a qualified comparison. I shot better groups than usual today, but I cannot tell if it was the ammo, a better grip (I'm still working on it), a better trigger control, a different target (black bullseye instead of my usual red), my practice with a .22 pistol, or just weather (it's raining cats, dogs and alligators here in Florida).

Yeah don't get me started on the rain! :rofl:

CitizenOfDreams
05-19-2009, 19:50
I did not know that brass contracts.
In fact, steel would have much better chances to contract back after removal of the pressure than a soft metal like brass.

cdemarse
05-19-2009, 19:51
I have shot a metric **** ton of Wolf through my AR's and Glocks. I am still waiting to replace the parts Wolf ammo is "supposed" to break.......I guess I will just keep shooting it.

triehl27
05-19-2009, 21:01
There are two different wolf ammos. There is the OLD wolf in the GREEN laquer cases, and the New in the grey cases.

The Green:
Stank, was dirty, and when the chamber got hot would melt the laquer and could cause it to stick in the chamber. Inaccurate as hell. 122grn projectiles weighted any where from 88grns, to 145gns, from the same box. I have experienced all of these issues. Even in a cool chamber the geen cases would stick if it was a tight fit (Match Grade)

The Grey:
Doesn't smell, is ok for clean. And I have never had an issue with a hot chamber. Projectiles are within spec. And I have fired problly 20K in 7.62X39, .223, 9mm, 40S&W, and .45acp. Used to buy it buy the case.

Only complaint: Not match accurate, (Not Horrible) But I have had better.

It is the OLD GREEN cases that everyone hated and that stigmata has hung on to the new stuff.

Javelin
05-19-2009, 21:12
Only Wolf I have ever used is the non-laquer stuff. Never had a problem thus far.

:wavey:

skyugo
05-19-2009, 21:12
i don't own any guns that won't digest wolf.

CitizenOfDreams
05-19-2009, 21:13
Looks like I got the "new" Wolf in grey cases (reportedly coated with plastic instead of laquer). The "old" Wolf ammo probably has been shot long ago... unless some gun show vendor still has a pile trying to sell it for $50 a box. :rofl:

spearogun
05-19-2009, 21:17
what are you guys paying for wolf 9mm?

I don't believe it will hurt your gun, but if its that much cheaper, buy the time you wear out your barrel and extractor, you'll probably saved enough money on ammo to buy another.

CitizenOfDreams
05-19-2009, 21:25
what are you guys paying for wolf 9mm?
I got mine for $0.23 per round (shipped) from Cabela's, but I had to wait for 50 days.

O1SalsaX
05-19-2009, 21:30
Wolf is $9.99/ 50 pack locally.
All other 9mm ammo is $15 per box.
Is it worth it to fire it out of my LW .40-9mm conversion barrel?

Halojumper
05-20-2009, 08:02
Shoot 1,000 rounds with it then review all of what you said, 100 rounds is nothing. I shot 1,000 rounds of it through an Old G19 last year and it was fine, especially for the price. What I did not like was through my G19 the wolf ammo did not give me tight groups shooting, I even loaded a mag with Wolff and a mag with PMC Bronze one day side by side and the PMC is way more accurate ammo. Aside from that though, it was fine. I had no other complaints. Maybe I just got a bad batch or something.

That's interesting, since one of the tightest groups I have ever gotten in my 35 was with Wolf. Of course my one example is not enough to make a global conclusion either.

Fire_Medic
05-20-2009, 08:04
That's interesting, since one of the tightest groups I have ever gotten in my 35 was with Wolf. Of course my one example is not enough to make a global conclusion either.

Like I said maybe I got a bad batch of ammo, but when I compared the Wolff to the PMC and even WWB on another occasion, the Wolff was allover the place, not to mention the muzzle flash you get with it. If it was me and not the ammo, then I would have shot just as bad with the other brands.

I was also shooting a G19 which has a shorter barrel than the G35.

:dunno:

SAG
05-20-2009, 08:25
I really disliked the old Wolf ammo. I swear they coated it with hot melt glue, it stuck so well in a hot chamber.

The Wolf I've shot recently, after many years of avoiding it, looks, smells and works very differently. It seems to be about average for clean/dirty burn. Accuracy of the newer Wolf is reasonable for practice ammo. I didn't notice any difference in POI or group size from the WWB or UMC I usually take to the range.

Current Wolf ammunition definately seems very differently from the junk I remembered it to be. I will buy it, if it's what's available. I don't seek it out, but I don't avoid it either.

tango44
05-20-2009, 09:16
No problemo here with wolf ammo on my G26, G17, G27, enjoy!

edrobert
05-20-2009, 09:19
In fact, steel would have much better chances to contract back after removal of the pressure than a soft metal like brass.

I think too many people are hung up on the idea that the steel cases will hurt their guns. This is NOT true since the steel used in the cases is a soft steel unlike the hardened steel used to make their gun parts....barrels, ejectors, extractors, etc.

LEAD
05-20-2009, 09:39
Fact: soft metals can wear down harder ones over time. The harder a casing is the more it can wear down the parts of a gun. Apparently no one here has had wear issues in their guns this is good news if it applys to everyones experiences, not just this small sample. Also remember that many of you have glocks and other pistols meant to be used for military applications where much of the ammo provided can be steel cased (GLOCKs, CZs, SPringfeilds etc..) the tenifer treatment of the barrel is meant to hold up to a lot of abuse, that being said it is possible that using metal casings will increase the rate at which your firearm wears (you'll probly be able to shoot more as well again contributing to expedited wear.

The thought is that the steel is harder on, not just the extractor, but the feed ramp and chamber as well.

edrobert
05-20-2009, 09:44
Fact: soft metals can wear down harder ones over time. The harder a casing is the more it can wear down the parts of a gun. Apparently no one here has had wear issues in their guns this is good news if it applys to everyones experiences, not just this small sample. Also remember that many of you have glocks and other pistols meant to be used for military applications where much of the ammo provided can be steel cased (GLOCKs, CZs, SPringfeilds etc..) the tenifer treatment of the barrel is meant to hold up to a lot of abuse, that being said it is possible that using metal casings will increase the rate at which your firearm wears (you'll probly be able to shoot more as well again contributing to expedited wear.

The thought is that the steel is harder on, not just the extractor, but the feed ramp and chamber as well.

Agreed, however I don't think there are many people who will actually shoot their guns enough to experience the increased wear. My point is that too many people talk about Wolf(steel cased ammo) as if shooting 500-1000 or even 10K rounds of it is gonna ruin your pistol/rifle which isn't true. I personally wouldn't consider any pistol/rifle to be truly combat worthy if it won't feed/shoot Wolf(steel cased ammo) since you never know when you'll find youself in a SHTF situation and that may be all that's available.

oldnoob
05-20-2009, 10:01
Wolf is $9.99/ 50 pack locally.
All other 9mm ammo is $15 per box.
Is it worth it to fire it out of my LW .40-9mm conversion barrel?

I don't like Wolf, had a bad experience with their 9mm military classic and it's the only ammo so far that FTE out of my LWD 40-9 conversion barrel.

I bought 1K of wolf military classic a year back from a gun show. It was cheap so I thought why don't I pick up a case and use on my cheap guns. I shot 600rd through a cheapo of mine and there were a common problem, the first round will not chamber properly sometime even cause mag impossible to insert to my gun. At first I though "great so my cheapo finally die on me after 3k round through it". Than a friend of mine was doing some design project that want to measure the dimension of ammo. I let him borrow a mix box of 22, 9, 40 and 38s and he told me that "silver casing bullet" spec wasn't consistent between the 3 in that mix of box. So I gave him a box of wolf and had him caliper few out of that whole box, and turn out the the consistency from wolf's ammo were quite poor compare to my other range ammo (BB and WWB).

I also try a box of wolf in my Glock 22 LWD 40-9 conversion and 2 FTE from that same box, and fail to chamber once on first round. I didn't even finish that box. Glock have been the most reliable pistol I own at that time not even the conversion barrel had ever fail me. So right now I still have that 300 some odd rounds left in my ammo box, I might try it again since I just get a Ruger Blackhawk 357/9. I figure in revolver cylinder, it shouldn't matter if the dimension are slightly out of spec. I'll let you guys know how it turn out.

Bello
05-20-2009, 14:13
i have never used wolf personally nor do i care to.. but my range has a big sign that says no wolf ammo used here...

CitizenOfDreams
05-20-2009, 14:24
my range has a big sign that says no wolf ammo used here...
Does the range allow you to pick up your own brass, or do you have to leave it for them to sell and profit?

sniper350
05-20-2009, 14:59
The new "Polymer" coated Wolf ammo is cleaner than the Old Laquer Stuff.

That said, I have always seen failures to fire with Wolf ammo with students of mine.

I believe in a bargin as well as the next guy ............... but why buy Russian when you can buy CCI Blazer ammo ( made in the USA ) for just as cheap.

The Aluminum cased Blazer is easier on the weapon too !! I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of AL Blazer ammo with excellent results. CCI doesn't skimp on the powder charge either .............. the stuff is pretty hot compared to Sellier & Bellot, for instance. That's impotant when practicing - that the ammo recoil is similar to your personal defense ammo.

Of course, there is the SUPPLY problem ?? I have not seen Blazer available, except on some auction sites !!

Take Rock River Arm's warning to heart : They strongly recommend AGAINST using any steel cased ammo in their AR-15's. You can read up on their warnings on the RRA forum at AR15.com. I don't think they warn their customers off of Wolf ammo because they don't like the Russians.

Remember ............wear on a weapon can present itself in a matter degrees. The occassional shooter will never notice the additional wear steel cased ammo might cause. Like the poster above ....shooting 100 rounds ......
all my close combat classes require a 200 rd minimum per lesson. And the course requires 2,200 rds for completion. So it is not unusual for my students to shoot 4 or 5 thousand rounds in a years time. And that's not really high volume shooting - anything over ten grand a year puts you into the elite club. Professional shooters will clock over 50 thousand a year easily!
These are the kinds of numbers where you might notice wear & tear on your barrels and internals.

JF.

MEW
05-20-2009, 15:03
I was just thinking the same. too lazy to separate the steel from brass. I have read the steel cases are made of "softer" steel that isn't any harder than brass on your parts. The only issue is it doesn't expand as much if any like brass and rifles which run on much higher pressures are affected with gas blowback which dirties the breech and chambers sometimes causing extraction issues in unkept/uncleaned rifles. My pistols shoot it fine along with .223 and .308 rifles. My first outing with an HK/PTR91 was it loved the Wolf and would not cycle some Israeli .308 I had along for testing. I think in the long run extractors are cheaper than ammo even if its an issue.

Merkavaboy
05-20-2009, 15:09
A couple of years ago I did my own testing with a G19 and 1K of WOLF Classic Polyformance (Tula Cartridge Works). I shot 500 rounds without cleaning, then shot the remaining 500 rounds after a quick wipe-down (shooting took place over several sessions at the range). Only problems I had were 10 fail-to-fire on the first primer strike and only 1 total dud. No other malfunctions and accuracy was no worse than some other brands of FMJ range ammo. I've also shot up 500 of the WOLF Mil Classic (Ulyanovsk) without a single problem.

Is WOLF dirty? No more than any other brand. BTW this ammo is totally non-corrosive, so who cares if you think it's dirty. It ain't going to hurt your gun even if you don't clean it for weeks or months after you shoot the stuff.

Does steel cases chip extractors? Let's put it this way: What do you tell a person that winds up with a chipped/broken extractor who's shooting non-steel cased ammo? "Tuff break Dude. You shouldn't be shooting brass cases ammo, it'll chip your extractor!"
Absolutely no proof that steel cases cause damage to the gun since even non-steel case shooters get broken parts.

If people don't want to shoot steel cased ammo, that's fine. I don't have a problem shooting any brand of factory ammo thru my Glocks. But of all of the brands of steel cased 9mm I've shot I like Sellier & Bellot's Range Safe ammo the best with the WOLF Mil Classic a close second.

Vlad6525
05-20-2009, 17:16
While I have not shot Wolf ammo, I sure felt the smell of it on the range couple of times and each time I went over to the shooter to confirm which ammo he was firing...sure enough it was Wolf... However I cannot tell if it was green or gray cases as I simply did not pay attention to this detail...

CitizenOfDreams
05-26-2009, 18:07
The story continues... Today I visited the range again.

First I shot some .22LR: pok! pok! pok!

Then I shot a box of 9mm Wolf: boom! boom! boom!

Then for some reason I loaded the magazine with some American made 9mm ammo... BLAM! :wow::shocked:

Checked the weapon... Loaded a Russian round... boom! American round... BLAM! Russian round... boom! American round... BLAM!

So it appears that Wolf ammunition is noticeably weaker than usual. I feel ashamed for my fellow Russian people... :crying: Other than that, no problems or failures of any kind.

Has anyone else shot Wolf and any other ammo in the same range session? Have you noticed a difference in the recoil or the sound?

jdf
05-26-2009, 19:06
i have never used wolf personally nor do i care to.. but my range has a big sign that says no wolf ammo used here...

what range would that be in VB?

emt1581
05-26-2009, 19:31
How did you reverse the R in your title??

I haven't tried Wolf in my Glocks. Just because I've always like Blazer and now I'm into reloading...so Wolf doesn't lend itself to me very well.

-Emt1581

MJB
05-26-2009, 19:37

My local range doesn't allow it either, I think it's because they don't want to separate the steel from the brass.

cdemarse
05-26-2009, 19:39
My local range doesn't allow it either, I think it's because they don't want to separate the steel from the brass.

Exactly

emt1581
05-26-2009, 19:42

Couldn't you just pass a strong magnet ($10 at any hardware store) over the pile and take out all the steel?? :dunno:

-Emt1581

cdemarse
05-26-2009, 19:45
Couldn't you just pass a strong magnet ($10 at any hardware store) over the pile and take out all the steel?? :dunno:

-Emt1581

Why would they do that when they can just charge you crazy prices to buy their ammo. :supergrin:

ranger1968
05-26-2009, 20:17
I have always had pretty good luck with Wolf over the years, in everything but the older laquer 5.56, which would gum up my AR pretty good after about 100 rounds. The rifle still functioned, it was just really dirty.

All the other Wolf calibers I have shot-9mm, 7.62x39, .380, all shot just fine, if a little dirty. I am told that the newer ammo with the poly coating is a bit cleaner.

I just wish it was as cheap as it used to be......

CitizenOfDreams
05-27-2009, 04:10
How did you reverse the R in your title??
I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you. :cool:
Seriously, it's the Russian letter "Я" (Unicode 0x42F).

varoadking
05-27-2009, 05:29
Яange report: 9mm Wolf ammo

Nevermind...

Boost_Junkie
07-01-2009, 18:42
I just ordered a thousand rounds of 9mm Wolf from ammoman.com. At 240.00 shipped I couldn't pass it up. We'll see how it does when we go to the mountains in the fall.

Manny

dtibbals
07-01-2009, 18:56
I have been shooting wolf ammo in 9mm and 45acp in 1911, G17, G26, HK45, HK P30, HK USP, HK USP Experts, Springfield XD and XDm and a few other pistols. I have shot just over 25k rounds of wolf and I have never had a single issue in any pistol or caliber. I have shot 2k plus training courses in a weekend with zero issues as well. I do feel it is pretty dirty but I shoot good pistols that don't seem to ever mind being dirty. I have another 15k rounds of it and will keep shooting it. Never had a bad primer, ftf, fte, ftfeed etc. I have not shot it in my rifles, mostly because I save the brass. But with pistols and IDPA, IPSC etc its nice to not have to chase brass.

Dave

SAG
07-01-2009, 19:00
I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you. :cool:
Seriously, it's the Russian letter "Я" (Unicode 0x42F).

But Я is a Russian vowel and R is an English consonant. ;)

nuclear g17
07-01-2009, 20:20
It does not extract in my AR-15's and I have to use a cleaning rod to get the case out, but in pistol calibers it works well and is accurate. I have shot it in 9mm, 40, 45. Most of the shooting was with 9mm, well over 3,000 rds. The only problems were hard primers. About 16 total, they went bang the second time. Remember in WW2 and Korea some of the US made 45 acp that was issued was steel case ammo. Because in WW2 we were short on brass and some of the old ammo was sent to Korean War.

DS12
07-01-2009, 20:37
Can't find primers and can't find any at wally world so I just ordered a case of wolf 9mm

Thanks.

CitizenOfDreams
07-01-2009, 21:06
But Я is a Russian vowel and R is an English consonant. ;)
Well, I could have replaced the English consonant W with the Russian consonant Ш (=Sh, as in PPSh-41), but that wouldn't be as much fun. :wavey:

Back to the original topic, I have shot 600 rounds of 9mm Wolf ammo to date. One hard primer, no other malfunctions.

Lotsa Glocks
07-01-2009, 21:08
[quote=Boost_Junkie;13286660]I just ordered a thousand rounds of 9mm Wolf from ammoman.com. At 240.00 shipped I couldn't pass it up. We'll see how it does when we go to the mountains in the fall.

Manny, any idea when your order will ship or when you can expect delivery? I couldn't see any indication on their site.

Thanks,
LG

DS12
07-01-2009, 21:11
I just ordered a thousand rounds of 9mm Wolf from ammoman.com. At 240.00 shipped I couldn't pass it up. We'll see how it does when we go to the mountains in the fall.

Manny, any idea when your order will ship or when you can expect delivery? I couldn't see any indication on their site.

Thanks,
LG

If it's not listed out of stock you won't be waiting long.

CitizenOfDreams
07-01-2009, 21:16
We'll see how it does when we go to the mountains in the fall.
Wolf ammo has sealed primers, perfect for partisans. All we have to do now is to find some mountains in Florida... :whistling:

First Spartan
07-01-2009, 21:27
I shot some of the older Wolff stuff thru an AR. I only shot 200 rounds thru it. No issues but I stopped using it after that. I have never fired it thru a handgun and dont have the desire to shoot it.

With ammo as scarce as it is right now I can understand shooters might snatch up some Wolff if they find it.

AustinTx
07-01-2009, 21:27
During the 20th century, the US Army has conducted 2 different studies (many years apart), as to the use of steel cased ammo. The studies never did come up with any way to use steel cased ammo. I guess the Russians are smarter than us. They did build a spacecraft that could land, on land. They put a space station up, years before us, a little smaller but we are having to depend on their space craft to get to our space station, now. I don't understand our space stuff. We flew the shuttle till we wore them out before we got our space station built. They will retire next year. Something isn't quite right here. Anyway, I was surprised when I first saw steel case 7.62X39mm ammo, which originated in Russia, I guess..

hiwaystar
07-01-2009, 21:47
i have shot an ***load of wolf in all calibers over the years. no,none of it is too terribly accurate,but great for plinking and general range use. yes the old green varnished cartridges were VERYdirty ammo,lots of muzzle flash and a bit hot. i just recently tried some of the military classic. it's a bit milder to me and much cleaner.accuracy seems to be about the same as the old imo. also tried some ....brown bear...??? i didn't like it much at all.very inaccurate and mild,but very clean.the only wolf ammo i have ever had real problems with was 40s&w in a taurus pt-140,failure to feed was the worst, most of the time couldnt get off 3 rounds without it. some hard primers,never bought anymore after that was gone.

CitizenOfDreams
07-01-2009, 22:54
During the 20th century, the US Army has conducted 2 different studies (many years apart), as to the use of steel cased ammo. The studies never did come up with any way to use steel cased ammo.
Actually, US did produce steel cased ammo during WWII, just like Russians and Germans did.
http://www.soldusa.com/uploaded/rad4E8EE7610.JPG

theleafybug
07-06-2009, 21:40
During the 20th century, the US Army has conducted 2 different studies (many years apart), as to the use of steel cased ammo. The studies never did come up with any way to use steel cased ammo.

Actually, US did produce steel cased ammo during WWII, just like Russians and Germans did.

^^ I love this

tango44
07-07-2009, 08:32

Hi, do you have pics of the actual ammo?
Thank you.

AustinTx
07-07-2009, 23:23
Maybe they were forced to use something they didn't particularly like. Copper was in such short supply we had the zinc clad steel pennies, in 1943.

UnTainted
07-08-2009, 09:39
lol love the thread title! nice job with the r

Aggie85
01-21-2010, 14:06
I have a couple of boxes of steel cased 45 ACP which my father brought back from the Pacific which is labeled re-packaged in 1919.

FinnFanatic
01-21-2010, 16:30
I shoot Wolf 40 S&W 180 gr. FMJ out of my G22 with no problems whatsoever. more than accurate enough for 7 yd and 15 yd practice.

glockman9mm
01-21-2010, 17:33
plenty accurate enough for 25 yd practice out of my G17- havn't tried it in anything else. But as others have said, Blazer alluminum is usually just as cheap.

tjpet
01-22-2010, 01:05
I've shot over 10,000+ rounds of Wolf ammo, old and new, through a variety of calibers with most of it in 9mm/.223. Here's my observations over the past 5-6 years:

1.) Wolf .223 - old/new - won't work well, if at all, in a non-chromed line chambered AR. These are usually target ARs with tight chambers to begin with which also exacerbates the problem. I've never seen an AR w/chrome chamber that wouldn't run Wolf .223 all day long. The "problem" of the older green-laquered ammo melting off the coating and gumming up a gun is pure BS. I've seen full auto weapons run mag after mag without any stoppages.

Ruger Mini-14s run the stuff like nobody's business.

Bolt guns usually will shoot Wolf OK depending on how tight their chambers are. Most of mine will but some are a close fit with the bolt being a bit snug to close.

Accuracy/cleanliness has been as good as anything else on the market in the same price range.

2.) Wolf 9mm - old/new - has worked well in any pistol I've run it in, period (Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, BHPs, S&Ws, Lugers, P38s etc.) Accuracy/cleanliness is the same as mentioned above.

3.) Wolf .40 - old/new - has proven to be some of the most accurate factory ammo I've ever run in my G35. In fact, when still dirt cheap it was all I used in the local USPSA competitions.

4.) When Wolf .45ACP was first introduced the primers WERE very hard. No problem in exposed hammer guns like a 1911 but striker fired weapons i.e. Glock would have the occasional misfire on the first go-round. A lot of folks must have complained loudly, early as the next batch I bought (within one month of the first) worked well in anything and has ever since.

kirgi08
01-22-2010, 01:12
I've shot over 10,000+ rounds of Wolf ammo, old and new, through a variety of calibers with most of it in 9mm/.223. Here's my observations over the past 5-6 years:

1.) Wolf .223 - old/new - won't work well, if at all, in a non-chromed line chambered AR. These are usually target ARs with tight chambers to begin with which also exacerbates the problem. I've never seen an AR w/chrome chamber that wouldn't run Wolf .223 all day long. The "problem" of the older green-laquered ammo melting off the coating and gumming up a gun is pure BS. I've seen full auto weapons run mag after mag without any stoppages.

Ruger Mini-14s run the stuff like nobody's business.

Bolt guns usually will shoot Wolf OK depending on how tight their chambers are. Most of mine will but some are a close fit with the bolt being a bit snug to close.

Accuracy/cleanliness has been as good as anything else on the market in the same price range.

2.) Wolf 9mm - old/new - has worked well in any pistol I've run it in, period (Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, BHPs, S&Ws, Lugers, P38s etc.) Accuracy/cleanliness is the same as mentioned above.

3.) Wolf .40 - old/new - has proven to be some of the most accurate factory ammo I've ever run in my G35. In fact, when still dirt cheap it was all I used in the local USPSA competitions.

4.) When Wolf .45ACP was first introduced the primers WERE very hard. No problem in exposed hammer guns like a 1911 but striker fired weapons i.e. Glock would have the occasional misfire on the first go-round. A lot of folks must have complained loudly, early as the next batch I bought (within one month of the first) worked well in anything and has ever since.

Yep,I agree, 100 percent, with the above.'08. Great Post.

glocksterr
01-22-2010, 04:45
The barrel had none of the lead deposits I usually see there. The slide had none of the typical copper flakes from the bullet jackets.

you shoot lead in your Glocks?

NRA_guy
01-22-2010, 04:52
Not to hijack, but how did you turn the "R" backwards in the title in the OP?

I have never seen that done before.

Brucev
01-22-2010, 07:12
I have absolutely no idea just how much Wolf ammo I have fired through my .223/5.56mm rifles and my various pistols. But I do know that I have not ever had a single issue with a single round. My experience may be unusual. I currently have a lot of the Wolf .223/.56mm in my ammo bin and will at some point be firing it in my COLT HBAR. I expect it will give the same results that it has always given... faultless function and on target results equivalent to any other basic standard ball loading. When I can find some more Wolf .45 ACP, I will be buying and firing it... if I can find it at a price competitive with WWB, Federal Champion, etc. For a very long time I've not found Wolf .40 S&W available so I can not reasonably expect to be able to buy it for range use. If it were available, I would buy and use it the same way I buy and use .45 ACP ammo. YMMV. Sincerely. Brucev.