Windows Server 2003 Question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows Server 2003 Question.

Viper16
05-20-2009, 06:43
How can I go about setting up a "Script" or a "batch" to copy a selected folder from my companies Server in one off-site location to a local server in my office? We have a bunch of files that get updated frequently and would like to copy them over at a push of a button...or maybe a scheduled timing? we are talking thousands of files about 4-6gb in total. We have Windows Server 2003 and that is about it...also the company is kind of cheap and does not want to put forth any money for something I can go and hand select each time.

Can anyone point me in a direction? Thanks!

Viper

Jtemple
05-20-2009, 07:11
How about writing a batch with some xcopy commands in it? What kind of access do you have to the off-site server? VPN or FTP? Xcopy would work if you can map the server as a network drive (VPN). For FTP, I'm not exactly sure how you'd pull that off. I've never tried it.

If you can map the remote location as a drive, another option is Microsoft SyncToy. It's a free utility from MS for file syncing. I like it a lot. It has a GUI and the capability to be run from the command line (i.e. batch).

MavsX
05-20-2009, 07:53
yeah i was going to ask how you are connecting. no way could you transfer 4-6 gigs over a vpn. too slow!

what about making a local copy on that same server. Just highlight what you want, and save it to the local machine ? or is that what you don't want to do?, (by doing it by hand)

back up exec ?

Jtemple
05-20-2009, 07:58
Good point in VPN being wicked slow.

We back up nightly to tapes, and store them off site.

Sgt. Schultz
05-20-2009, 09:49
Almost all of my clients use tape backups and store them off site, that works fine but data recovery can be very time consuming. I setup a computer with several hard drives and backup their data using xxcopy. Xxcopy is basically an enhanced version of xcopy only better. It handles the long file names, can be used to synchronize directories and overwrite read-only files, back up directories incrementally without the use of archive bit, exclude directories/files from copying by wild cards, copy hidden/system files etc http://www.xxcopy.com/index.html

I use xxcopy to backup my data to two different computers on my home network daily.

Viper16
05-21-2009, 06:40
yeah i was going to ask how you are connecting. no way could you transfer 4-6 gigs over a vpn. too slow!

what about making a local copy on that same server. Just highlight what you want, and save it to the local machine ? or is that what you don't want to do?, (by doing it by hand)

back up exec ?

well believe it or not...our server for our program we use is VPN...do you think that the rest of the network is VPN? I go through an external IP addy and enter my USER and PASS. And yes...it is freaking slow! hours to transfer....HOURS!!!

Pierre!
05-21-2009, 07:15
RoboCopy is another option to you...

Has a GUI interface if you need it, can perform true mirror, can copy the dir when a "new files" count is reached, can be scheduled, retries on files can be modified, ACL's can be copied intact for a particular tree... Pretty slick stuff for free...

Download from MS - Google should set you up...

Used it for quite some time, and it worked really well.

I will have to hunt down XXCopy... Always looking for that "Silver Bullet"... (grin)

Pierre!
05-21-2009, 07:21
Sgt Shultz,

That XXCopy sure looks good! I will try it out - I thought that RoboCopy was Da Bomb....

Thanks for the tip!

MavsX
05-21-2009, 08:32
well believe it or not...our server for our program we use is VPN...do you think that the rest of the network is VPN? I go through an external IP addy and enter my USER and PASS. And yes...it is freaking slow! hours to transfer....HOURS!!!

sounds like someone is using dsl!

Viper16
05-21-2009, 09:14
sounds like someone is using dsl!

We recently switched to Cable (had DSL)...I am unsure what the off site server is on...could be DSL. Do we still have to have VPN? is there any other options?

RoboCopy question...I got it to see the source and the target...but it will only do a handful of folder and sub directories. How do I get it to read the whole folder? as well as sub folders?

My options are the following : "." /v /s /e /copy:dat /NP /R:10 /w:30

RTmarc
05-21-2009, 09:17
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

Syncback

Can be configured to synchronize two locations based on a set schedule. Can also be configured to move just the files that have been changed.

Linux3
05-21-2009, 11:16
How can I go about setting up a "Script" or a "batch" to copy a selected folder from my companies Server in one off-site location to a local server in my office? We have a bunch of files that get updated frequently and would like to copy them over at a push of a button...or maybe a scheduled timing? we are talking thousands of files about 4-6gb in total. We have Windows Server 2003 and that is about it...also the company is kind of cheap and does not want to put forth any money for something I can go and hand select each time.
Viper
Sounds like you need rsync.
Free, secure and time tested. I use it all over on Unix /Linux but it is available for windows.
http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_pc1.html

literaltrance
05-21-2009, 11:36

Viper

This may not be the most efficient way (rsync for Windows PROBABLY is), but I would install cygwin on both ends, setup ssh keys, and use a bash script to grab files based on modified time. Basically this ends up being a poor man's version of rsync. You can then call this script from the Windows Task Scheduler whenever you want.

If you want more details on how to do this, PM me.

What can I say? I'm a Linux/UNIX admin.

[Edit]: I should probably mention, I USE the above method already. I write music on both my desktop and my laptop, and to make sure both ends have identical files which I may have worked on at one location but not the other, I run two scripts I wrote (getmusic.sh and putmusic.sh) to compare modified times, remotely vs locally, and perform a secure copy on the files in question when necessary. Assuming you setup ssh keys, all of this is done without a password and also allows you two-way command-line logins without authentication. This is not something rsync provides.

noway
05-22-2009, 00:36
As far as the slow comments;

4-6gigs is not alot of data for today's world. A typical iso image is 640-mbs and 4-6gigs of data transmitted is not a lot of data after hours, when typically data is backed up , VPN or not.

Also keep in mind, what are you backing up? Incremental data shouldn't be 4-6gigs of recent changed information.

If you really have a need for regular 4-6gig remote backup and that data is critical, then you should invest in dedicate links and proper components for backing up content.

just my 2cts, but than again I work with network links that are 1-10gigs on avg ;)

Viper16
05-22-2009, 07:12
I just want to download changed information between the servers. these are price lists from our vendors, they update anywhere from 1-4 times a year...when they are updated I have to pull them manually from the off-site server, to the local server, for ease of use. Browsing through a VPN server...is really slow and sometimes takes long.