Therma Cell [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Therma Cell

40Cal
10-03-2002, 19:26
Anyone have any experience with these? I've been told by a few people that they're great for keeping mosquitoes away and that they've been using them in their deer stands. I picked one up ($20 at Walgreens) but I haven't opened it yet. It uses butane to activate some sort of pad that has a deterrent in it. I initially thought it would give a deer-alerting smell or sound but everyone has said they don't. Anyone have any input?

Michigun
10-04-2002, 09:20
I purchased a camo, mesh "bug suit" for hunting in the "insects months". Baking Soda works good on mosquitoes in particular, something in it they hate, Baking Soda also helps with absorbing human scent.

40Cal
10-06-2002, 09:01
Well, I used it this morning and all I can say is "WOW!"

I turned it on, put it on the floor of my climbing stand and the mosquitos disappeared. I didn't smell any odor at all and it is totally silent. SWEET. Usually hunting here in FL you have to cover everything with either thick clothing or BugTamer type stuff. Well, this morning I sat about 15 yards from a little pond where the skeeters were everywhere. Cranked up the Thermacell and within about 10 minutes they were gone. No more covering everything up, it's pants and a t-shirt for me now. ;f ;f ;f

JCWIU
05-22-2009, 00:50
How long do they last? Will it repel ticks a well? Anyone know?

noway
05-22-2009, 17:37
one butane charge and pad , last about 8hours. And no , It doesn't repel ticks. Just no-see-ums and skeeters.

JCWIU
05-22-2009, 17:38
one butane charge and pad , last about 8hours. And no , It doesn't repel ticks. Just no-see-ums and skeeters.

OK, thanks for the info.

StockGlock23
05-24-2009, 01:17
I am really happy with mine. I use it during early archery season. No complaints. There is a slight odor within the first 10 minutes of firing it I have noticed but it goes away quick and I have had deer within a few yards of me and they did not seem to notice.

Splittine
05-24-2009, 04:51
Best thing introduced to hunting since the bullet. I have bought 3 of these things because people keep taking them from me after they try them out. I love mine and will not go in the woods without one, especially the swamps we hunt in.

SAWMAN
05-25-2009, 12:37
I probably hunt the same swamps as Splittine and I completely agree.

I'm not sure about repeling chiggers and ticks,my "guess" would be probably not. However the unit is kick butt on skeeters,no see-ums,and biteing flies.

The little butane cells also can be bought at your local drug store as the same thing is used in a cordless hair dryer for women. Allot cheeper also.

The Therma-Cell goes with me into a shooting house or up on a ladder stand during the summer,while hog hunting. Works like a champ.

vafish
05-29-2009, 10:04
How well do they work when you are just walking around outside?

StockGlock23
05-29-2009, 14:21
They won't...basically they work by creating a cloud around you of scent that repels bugs. If you are moving the cloud never forms. Unless it is a cloud like Pigpen has following him.

http://endtimedisciples.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/pigpen.jpg

JCWIU
05-30-2009, 01:17
FYI, Winchester is running a special, by their turkey loads and get a free ThemaCell, you pay shipping. Go to the Winchester site for more info and the form. Special ends the end of June.