Guest OS installation always hangs on vmware [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guest OS installation always hangs on vmware

betyourlife
05-25-2009, 23:32
Tried installing Vista Ultimate x64 as a guest using vmware on ubuntu. Hangs after the first reboot.

So I installed vmware on Windows and tried to install Vista x64 and Windows 7 but both of them also hang on a Windows host.

Searched the internet, and this appears to be a common issue, though I didn't see any fixes for it out there.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of trying Virtual Box or Microsofts product if I can't get this fixed.

betyourlife
05-26-2009, 00:11
Note: I was able to install Linux as a guest OS on a Windows host using vmware without a problem. So what is the problem with the Windows OS's?

CitizenOfDreams
05-26-2009, 00:40
VMware forums would probably be a better place to get help. For what it's worth, I've had Vista running on VMware when it just came out. Didn't like it then, don't like it any better now.

noway
05-27-2009, 20:41
Note: I was able to install Linux as a guest OS on a Windows host using vmware without a problem. So what is the problem with the Windows OS's?

I've been asking that question now for about 9 years ;)

Have you install it on a physical server? and if yes, did stay reliable?

My experience with Vista hasn't looked to great and it crashed 2 times, just during the install. :shocked:, no not really :shocked:

RTmarc
05-28-2009, 11:14
Tried installing Vista Ultimate x64 as a guest using vmware on ubuntu. Hangs after the first reboot.

So I installed vmware on Windows and tried to install Vista x64 and Windows 7 but both of them also hang on a Windows host.

Searched the internet, and this appears to be a common issue, though I didn't see any fixes for it out there.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of trying Virtual Box or Microsofts product if I can't get this fixed.

Is VT-technology enabled on your processor in the BIOS. Without that enabled, 64bit OSes will not work. Also, what are you using for the installation media? CD or ISO image?

betyourlife
06-07-2009, 23:22
I've been asking that question now for about 9 years ;)

Have you install it on a physical server? and if yes, did stay reliable?

My experience with Vista hasn't looked to great and it crashed 2 times, just during the install. :shocked:, no not really :shocked:

Yes, I said I installed it on a Windows host in my OP.

betyourlife
06-07-2009, 23:24
Is VT-technology enabled on your processor in the BIOS. Without that enabled, 64bit OSes will not work. Also, what are you using for the installation media? CD or ISO image?

Yes it is, I checked that already. I download an ISO image which I then burn to a DVD and then use the DVD for installation.

Again, I had no problem with 64x Linux (Ubuntu).

VM ware forums weren't much of a help. One response, and the suggestion was try a 32 bit OS, which doesn't do me much good if I want to run a 64bit OS.

MavsX
06-08-2009, 05:24
are you using vmworkstation? or vmserver ?

Sgt. Schultz
06-08-2009, 11:20
I can't help with the vmware problem but I can tell you that the x64 versions will load on M$ Virtual PC 2007.

RTmarc
06-08-2009, 15:14
Yes it is, I checked that already. I download an ISO image which I then burn to a DVD and then use the DVD for installation.

Again, I had no problem with 64x Linux (Ubuntu).

VM ware forums weren't much of a help. One response, and the suggestion was try a 32 bit OS, which doesn't do me much good if I want to run a 64bit OS.

Try using the ISO itself as the installation media as opposed to burning it to a CD/DVD.

noway
06-08-2009, 15:25
Is your host OS and hardware 64bit compatible?

betyourlife
06-08-2009, 19:08
are you using vmworkstation? or vmserver ?

server...

betyourlife
06-08-2009, 19:09
Is your host OS and hardware 64bit compatible?

Yes....

betyourlife
06-08-2009, 19:10
I can't help with the vmware problem but I can tell you that the x64 versions will load on M$ Virtual PC 2007.

Is it free? VMware server isn't too impressive, I don't see what all the fuss is about...

betyourlife
06-08-2009, 19:11
Try using the ISO itself as the installation media as opposed to burning it to a CD/DVD.

Wait, were you talking about the VMwareserver applicaton or the OS? I download the application as an ISO and then burn it to dvd. Windows is an OEM disk...

Sgt. Schultz
06-08-2009, 19:40
Is it free? VMware server isn't too impressive, I don't see what all the fuss is about...Yes it is free, get it here ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

Go here for more info ...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

FYI: Windows 7 will include Windows Virtual PC and a copy of Windows XP pro sp3 for Windows XP mode which means there will be no compatibility issues with Windows 7

betyourlife
06-08-2009, 19:52
Yes it is free, get it here ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

Go here for more info ...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

FYI: Windows 7 will include Windows Virtual PC and a copy of Windows XP pro sp3 for Windows XP mode which means there will be no compatibility issues with Windows 7

Do I get any of this on the release candidate? How about the 64 bit enterprise edition I got from work?

Sgt. Schultz
06-08-2009, 20:27
Do I get any of this on the release candidate? How about the 64 bit enterprise edition I got from work?If you are asking about Windows XP mode it is available, for free to users of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions via a download from the Microsoft web site. It works with the RC that I am running.

Here is an article about it ...
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/04/24/secret-no-more-revealing-virtual-windows-xp-for-windows-7.aspx