how to recover email msgs and contacts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how to recover email msgs and contacts

kjb247
05-27-2009, 11:12
OK, my old desktop (HP with Win XP) will not boot up. Apparantly the boot files (or whatever they're called) on the hard drive got fried and don't work anymore. I bought a USB-IDE adapter cable and hooked up the hard drive to my laptop. I have access to all the files and docs on the old hard drive.

I was using outlook express for the email on the desktop but did not have email on the laptop. I set up the email on the laptop now but (obviously) I don't have any of my contacts or old email messages anymore. I looked on the old drive under Program Files/Outlook Express but can't find them anywhere. Is there somewhere else they would be stored? I need the contacts and several of the messages. Can anyone help please!!?

SKeefe
05-27-2009, 12:30
Try this location or something similar.

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

janice6
05-27-2009, 13:02
address book file is a .wab file.

Do a search for *.wab and it will find the file. If you cannot read the old harddrive This will not help.

MavsX
05-27-2009, 14:09
anybody know if outlook express uses .pst files ? or is that with just outlook 200x

Sgt. Schultz
05-27-2009, 18:48
anybody know if outlook express uses .pst files ? or is that with just outlook 200xNope, .PST files are Outlook only.

Sgt. Schultz
05-27-2009, 18:56
I was using outlook express for the email on the desktop but did not have email on the laptop. I set up the email on the laptop now but (obviously) I don't have any of my contacts or old email messages anymore. I looked on the old drive under Program Files/Outlook Express but can't find them anywhere. Is there somewhere else they would be stored? I need the contacts and several of the messages. Can anyone help please!!?Like SKeefe said search for the ... Identities folder. If you created folders to store your mail separate from the In box then the quickest way to find the correct Identities folder is to search for one of those folders by name ... like "John's saved mail" etc ...