Installing New Router - Do I Really Need To Install Network Magic Also? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing New Router - Do I Really Need To Install Network Magic Also?

jusrick
05-27-2009, 20:04
I'm replacing a D-Link 614 router with a Linksys WRT54GS2 wireless router.

I had Network Magic installed with the old D Link router, but I removed it in the process of diagnosing what was causing my connection drops. I've trashed the old D Link router, but I would like to know if I really need to install Network Magic with the new Linksys router.

I never did warm up to the Network Magic software. I thought that I had paid for the full version several years ago, but in the past few months it started reminding me that my trail version was about to expire again. From then until I uninstalled it, I had connection problems. I still don't know if it was all the fault of the router or partly the fault of the software expiring.

Anyway, I googled the old router and everybody said it was a piece of junk and the recommended this Linksys. So here I sit ready to install, but I just don't want that Network Magic software on my PC again if I don't need it.
What say ye? TIA.

grokdesigns
05-27-2009, 20:57
No, there is no software required for connecting to wireless networks, regardless of manufacturer. You didn't need it with the D-Link router either.

If you want to be brave, install DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com) on that new Linksys!

greenLED
05-27-2009, 21:09
what grok said!

DD-WRT that puppy!

beemerphile
05-27-2009, 21:34
I like Network Magic, but you don.t NEED it'

MavsX
05-29-2009, 13:53
get yourself a cisco asa 5505

grokdesigns
05-29-2009, 14:07
get yourself a cisco asa 5505
Why would he need a commercial-grade firewall?

RevDerb
05-29-2009, 14:15
I installed that Network Magic software with the last router that I purchased and found it extremely annoying. To each his own, though.

MavsX
05-30-2009, 11:34
Why would he need a commercial-grade firewall?

bragging rights of course. we got a asa 5510 at work too.