Before i shoot it, let me ask [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Before i shoot it, let me ask

40 Cal Joe
05-28-2009, 13:08
We purchased a Gateway laptop for the wife about 20 months ago. She uses it for e-mail and games only, and then maybe 5 days a week.

It was working fine on Sunday. Monday....dead as fred won't come on. Took it to the Geek Squad and they could not get it to start up either with the battery in place or pulled out. Tried changing the power supply and still nothing. Their diagnosis is the mother board is probably bad and it would be just a cheap to buy another computer.

Sounds like a power supply problem me, but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

IndyGunFreak
05-28-2009, 13:14
We purchased a Gateway laptop for the wife about 20 months ago. She uses it for e-mail and games only, and then maybe 5 days a week.

It was working fine on Sunday. Monday....dead as fred won't come on. Took it to the Geek Squad and they could not get it to start up either with the battery in place or pulled out. Tried changing the power supply and still nothing. Their diagnosis is the mother board is probably bad and it would be just a cheap to buy another computer.

Sounds like a power supply problem me, but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

If it was a power supply problem, it would start on the battery (assuming it has even a drop of life in it.. you should get something)...

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
05-28-2009, 14:23
Yeah the only way to rule out the AC adapter is to test it. It's possible that it's bad and your battery is drained. If you have a VOM you could test the adapter and see if it is putting out any juice.

40 Cal Joe
05-28-2009, 14:44
Battery still has a charge on it and the power supply is working. Just tried on my neighbors Gateway.

ron59
05-28-2009, 14:55
Sounds like the mother board then... something internal at least.

Sgt. Schultz
05-28-2009, 15:45
Before you paint a target on it I would check the Gateway website to see if your specific model has any manufacturing defects/problems related to your issue. Iíve done so in the past and had laptops repaired for free. If not and itís out of warranty itís probably going to be cheaper to buy a new laptop then to fix that one.

40 Cal Joe
05-28-2009, 15:57
Aprreciate the input folks. I will take Sgt Schultz's advice and check with Gateway on any notices for our laptop. If not, then I will see what kind of damage my Glock 22 and my 1911 will do to a laptop.:wavey:

Sgt. Schultz
05-28-2009, 16:10
Aprreciate the input folks. I will take Sgt Schultz's advice and check with Gateway on any notices for our laptop. If not, then I will see what kind of damage my Glock 22 and my 1911 will do to a laptop.:wavey:FYI ... you should be able to salvage the hard drive and perhaps the RAM, or you could sell it to your neighbor for spare parts for their system.

MavsX
05-28-2009, 16:59
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/junkmailfabo/IMG_0471.jpg

IndyGunFreak
05-29-2009, 09:55

LMAO.. thats great.

I got irritated at Compaq many years ago when I felt their warranty dept. was screwing me. Its actually what spurred me to learn to build my own PC's (that was my last store bought)...

I was so angry when it was all over, I bashed the heck out of the case, and some of the other parts, put them in a box, and shipped it to their warranty repair dept w/ a cordial, but very matter of fact letter stating what I thought of their warranty service..

Would you believe they construed the smashed up case as a threat..lol. I got some calls that day needless to say.

IGF

MavsX
05-29-2009, 13:44
LMAO.. thats great.

I got irritated at Compaq many years ago when I felt their warranty dept. was screwing me. Its actually what spurred me to learn to build my own PC's (that was my last store bought)...

I was so angry when it was all over, I bashed the heck out of the case, and some of the other parts, put them in a box, and shipped it to their warranty repair dept w/ a cordial, but very matter of fact letter stating what I thought of their warranty service..

Would you believe they construed the smashed up case as a threat..lol. I got some calls that day needless to say.

IGF

haha. thats awesome. Good work. Yeah that was just a slug that we shot. Later in the day, we ended up shooting that with birdshot, buckshot, .40, .45, 9mm and .223 it was awesome

MavsX
05-29-2009, 13:45
heres another, these were taken from my work, since they no longer worked, we just took them and destroyed them..sometimes it is worth it to work in IT!!

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/junkmailfabo/IMG_0478.jpg

IndyGunFreak
05-29-2009, 17:06
haha. thats awesome. Good work. Yeah that was just a slug that we shot. Later in the day, we ended up shooting that with birdshot, buckshot, .40, .45, 9mm and .223 it was awesome

Somehow I think if I had shot the case and mailed it to them, I'd have had a serious problem on my hands.. :rofl:

I've blew up old computer stuff before though. Hard drives I didn't want to worry about being accessed again for the most part...

Hmm, come to think of it, I have an ancient compaq laptop that bit it about 4-5 weeks ago.

IGF

Tennessee Slim
05-29-2009, 17:42
Somehow I think if I had shot the case and mailed it to them, I'd have had a serious problem on my hands.. :rofl:

I've blew up old computer stuff before though. Hard drives I didn't want to worry about being accessed again for the most part...

Hmm, come to think of it, I have an ancient compaq laptop that bit it about 4-5 weeks ago.

IGF
I once cut up a Sony with a Sawz-All and mailed it back to 'em.

ax157
05-30-2009, 02:41

Well done except for the fact you probably only managed to break still working components, leaving the part that's actually broken just as you left it. :rofl:

MavsX
05-30-2009, 11:32
we left, nothing. we had too many guns and too much ammo to use.