Is all ram the same? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is all ram the same?

volky
05-28-2009, 19:07
Lats say a 2gb ddr2 667 stick comes out of the factory and passes all tests this one becomes a Crucial brand, and the ones that aren't quite fast enough go to the noname folks and sell cheap.

Is there really a noticable difference in performance in the two in daily usage.

Someone must have run numbers and tested them.

What say you old ram experts????? Help us minnions spend our money wisely.

MavsX
05-28-2009, 19:47
not the same

Razrbk444
05-28-2009, 22:08
not the same

+1.....You pay for quality control. The better the quality control, the more stable and reliable the product. That said, I accept the quality of the "best bang for the buck" ram. To me that means Kingston and Crucial. I've never had an issue with either brand in the boxes that I've built. There are better quality and certainly more expensive brand names, but for my needs, the aforementioned brands work excellent.
I use my home built PC for everything from home entertainment,multimedia,3-d first person shooters, to autocad. Always solid.

Linux3
05-29-2009, 07:05
Lats say a 2gb ddr2 667 stick comes out of the factory and passes all tests this one becomes a Crucial brand, and the ones that aren't quite fast enough go to the noname folks and sell cheap.

Is there really a noticable difference in performance in the two in daily usage.

Yes and no......
I have built many a system and people have bee impressed with the performance. If you are looking for a benchmark buster system then ram makes a major difference but for email, web, office apps type stuff it's not a huge issue.
If you want to play games and push the system and frame rates check out this site:
http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/list.asp?guid=1B9941A67EEF4050B6C270E15E821117&Atype=Hardware+Review&Itype=&PCatID=1002&CatID=1037

If you are the email, web yada, yada type go with a name brand and I always pick Twin-Pak or whatever name for memory sold in pairs.
Go with a name brand because you might not see a difference between good brands of ram but you may very well suffer from an off brand.
Memory is so competitive right now and the chip fabs are suffering so they are letting go to off brands stuff that maybe should be scraped.

stooxie
06-07-2009, 07:28
I can definitely tell you all memory is NOT the same, especially in the server realm. With desktops and laptops there is much more tolerance but with servers (meaning higher end ones) you're better off buying from the vendor.

The big issue isn't so much the actual speed ratings but the timings. Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Presence_Detect

This will give you a sense for just how much communication there is between the DIMM and the BIOS and how much potential there is for loose tolerances. You get problems when the DIMM tells the BIOS it can respond within a certain time frame but then really doesn't. That's when you get the random crashes.

I have a customer that bought 5 terabytes of Kingston RAM for 40 of our servers (instead of using our memory which has a street price of about 15% more than the 3rd party). Of course they started having problems and now they was US to figure out why.

Would you ask BMW to explain to you why a cut rate tire didn't work on their car when it was the right profile/rating?

People have such balls.

-Stooxie