Williamsburg,Norfolk and VA Beach [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Williamsburg,Norfolk and VA Beach

Bilbo Bagins
05-29-2009, 07:13
I'm from PA and I'm going on vacation to Williamsburg VA (Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg) and I wanted to check out some of the naval sites in Norfolk and maybe hit Virigina Beach. I have not been in the area in years. Is it safe, or are there places I need to avoid.

swotivated
05-29-2009, 07:46
Do you have some sort of military affiliation (i.e. mil ID/base access)? If so, you might as well call the base PAO and see if you can get a ship tour. If not, still give them a call and ask- the worst they can say is 'no.' There are two major bases there- Norfolk and Little Creek- so try both.

Wish I could be more help but I've never been there, though I am transferring there next month. I hear Norfolk definitely has some shady areas.

Bilbo Bagins
05-29-2009, 12:37
Do you have some sort of military affiliation (i.e. mil ID/base access)? If so, you might as well call the base PAO and see if you can get a ship tour. If not, still give them a call and ask- the worst they can say is 'no.' There are two major bases there- Norfolk and Little Creek- so try both.

Wish I could be more help but I've never been there, though I am transferring there next month. I hear Norfolk definitely has some shady areas.

There are TONS of civilian run naval museums in Norfolk, one involves the Battleship Wisconsin. I have looked into it and, some bases house little museums open to the public and there are some guided tours around the various bases. One I'm interested in is actually a civilian tourist boat tour that takes you along the waterways of Norfolk.

I too heard parts of Norfolk and VA beach are a dicey, but if your getting transfered there, it look like there is a lot of stuff in the area you can do.

Dan
05-30-2009, 15:09
Contact 757-444-0000, press 0 for the operator. Ask to be transferred to "Navy Base Tours" for a schedule. From 64 Take 564 towards Gate 3 and make a left, the Naval Tour building will be right on the right.

Also check out "Nauticus" http://www.nauticus.org and the Virginia Marine Science Center http://www.vmsm.com

If you love seafood: http://lynnhavenfishhouse.net/menus.php

When are you coming down?

swotivated
06-02-2009, 23:02
Bilbo, did you ever get in touch with the point of contact Dan provided? I'm curious how it works. Either way, enjoy your vacation!

Bilbo Bagins
06-08-2009, 10:43
Bilbo, did you ever get in touch with the point of contact Dan provided? I'm curious how it works. Either way, enjoy your vacation!

Unfortunately no. Due to something coming up in work, my 4 day vacation got shrunk down to just Saturday and Sunday. Since we did not have a lot of time and the kids come first (AKA we never left Busch Gardens :upeyes: ) we never got to Norfolk.

The kids had a great time, and the 5 hour drive from PA was reasonable, so we will probably come back to the area again. I will definately put those phone numbers in my back pocket for a return trip.

Thanks again guys for all the advice.