backing up files for the new PC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : backing up files for the new PC

gglockner
05-29-2009, 13:16
Planning on getting a new pc shortly and want to back up the old drive so I can transfer programs and files over to the new pc.
Have a external HD that has plenty of space on it, so I thought I would just copy the whole C:/ drive. Seems there is always something running in the background so it won't work that way. How can I save all my files including those hidden ones that I would be able to do a search for them once the new PC is up and running?

Thanks,
Glen

MavsX
05-29-2009, 13:41
you don't really need ever single file from your current C drive. Just take your music, pics, etc....good luck bro

grokdesigns
05-29-2009, 14:04
What Mavs said. Back up your documents, music, photos, Outlook profile (if you have it), FireFox profile, etc. All of your system and program files from the old computer will be of no use to you on the new one.

Tennessee Slim
05-29-2009, 14:16
Planning on getting a new pc shortly and want to back up the old drive so I can transfer programs and files over to the new pc.
Have a external HD that has plenty of space on it, so I thought I would just copy the whole C:/ drive. Seems there is always something running in the background so it won't work that way. How can I save all my files including those hidden ones that I would be able to do a search for them once the new PC is up and running?

Thanks,
Glen
It's the system files that are causing your "copy" command to puke. You can get around that by putting that HDD in an external enclosure or a HDD dock. That way you can access those files without that HDD's OS "running," which is what's protecting the files.

There's probably easier ways to do it.

If we're talking Eks Pee, you can use the "files and settings transfer wizard (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx)." That'll package all your files in one big local bundle, which you can then transfer to the other PC. It also gives you opportunity to see just how much file space you'd be talking about, and whether you actually need that external HDD. You might be able to get by with a just DVD or two.

I should note the wizard only gets your stuff in "My Documents." If you're like me and put stuff in C:\Temp and other such oddball places, you've got a little hand work to do.

Another possibility is to get a crossover cable (or one of the USB-to-USB cables -- like this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200198) -- intended for the same purpose) and transfer them by wire.

gglockner
05-29-2009, 15:07
Thanks for the help. I kind of like using the usb to usb and connect them together until I know I have everything up and running. Not sure if I am going to like switching to Vista...

MavsX
05-30-2009, 11:34
yeah man vista sucks!

gglockner
05-31-2009, 11:32
Vista is ok, still able to get around just looks a bit different.