We need different restrictions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : We need different restrictions.

Usingmyrights
05-29-2009, 23:06
This is a cross post (with mods permission) from carry issues about changing the places off limits in FL. I'd like to see if we can't get enough people to write to Governor Charlie Crist and our representives to revise our list of places off limits for concealed carry. I'd like to see a few of the places thats off limits removed from the list. I think that a short letter or email would do more than a petition. Also we may not all agree on what places should or shouldn't be off limits, but if we can expand out rights, then its a good thing. We'd probably need to coordinate this somewhat to have the maximum effect, so that they all get flooded around the same time, instead of a few here and there. I plan on putting this on other forums and hopefully can get a pretty big following. I think a few thousand people saying that "X shouldn't be off limits because of ____" should get their attention, and hopefully we'll see some results.

djegators
05-30-2009, 09:25
Hmmm....I don't know how much Crist would pay attention, but perhaps worth a shot. I agree that it should be less restrictive, but we need to target specific items in the law, and have specific reasons for changing it. If a few hundred people randomly send letters, all targeting different things they want changed, it will have no effect. What specifically would you like to change?

Usingmyrights
05-30-2009, 09:37
Hmmm....I don't know how much Crist would pay attention, but perhaps worth a shot. I agree that it should be less restrictive, but we need to target specific items in the law, and have specific reasons for changing it. If a few hundred people randomly send letters, all targeting different things they want changed, it will have no effect. What specifically would you like to change?

Thats why we need to coordinate our efforts now so that we'll be ready for the next session. Personally I'd like to see schools, bar/bar areas, and sporting events off the list. I wouldn't mind see polling places, government buildings and "town hall" meeting taken either. I can give reasons for each one too.

FlaChef
05-30-2009, 10:26
post secondary campuses should not be restricted.
why can't i carry in a bar IF i am not drinking (I'm always the DD anyway).

onebigelf
05-30-2009, 12:28
Crist doesn't listen. I'm looking forward to the one-term wonder running for Senate and just hope like heck the Republicans will run someone worthwhile against him. I'll vote for a conservative Democrat before I vote for Clueless-Charlie and I really don't want to extend the Democrat control of the Senate.

I agree I'd like to see the list revised. One particular is Hospitals. Funny, one of the examples they gave when they passed the law allowing you to keep a gun in your car at work if you had a CCW was a nurse working nights- should be allowed to keep a gun locked in her car so that she wasn't defenseless when she left for home at 4 AM. And then hospitals are one of the places they exempted from the law.

John

Usingmyrights
05-30-2009, 13:18
Crist doesn't listen. I'm looking forward to the one-term wonder running for Senate and just hope like heck the Republicans will run someone worthwhile against him. I'll vote for a conservative Democrat before I vote for Clueless-Charlie and I really don't want to extend the Democrat control of the Senate.

I agree I'd like to see the list revised. One particular is Hospitals. Funny, one of the examples they gave when they passed the law allowing you to keep a gun in your car at work if you had a CCW was a nurse working nights- should be allowed to keep a gun locked in her car so that she wasn't defenseless when she left for home at 4 AM. And then hospitals are one of the places they exempted from the law.

John

I haven't seen anything in the law that says you can't carry in hospitals.

packinaglock
05-30-2009, 17:07
I haven't seen anything in the law that says you can't carry in hospitals.

I think it's only mental hospitals? :dunno:

Usingmyrights
05-30-2009, 19:20

Correct. Most of those would fall under detention facilities anyway.

rvrctyrngr
05-30-2009, 19:35

Not just 'mental hospitals'. Hospitals with mental health facilities.

I don't worry about it. There's an exception in the statute for 'other lawful purposes'. Gutmacher has successfully argued that licensed CC is an 'other lawful purpose'.

Usingmyrights
05-30-2009, 20:06
Not just 'mental hospitals'. Hospitals with mental health facilities.

I don't worry about it. There's an exception in the statute for 'other lawful purposes'. Gutmacher has successfully argued that licensed CC is an 'other lawful purpose'.

I believe that was only in the mental health area of the hospital though

rvrctyrngr
05-30-2009, 20:27
Nah. Doesn't matter where you are in the hospital, if the hospital provides mental health services. The statute reads not even on the property....

I can never remember the statute number because like I said previously, I don't worry about it. With aging parents and in-laws, I'm in hospitals a little more frequently than I'd like. I always carry. My attorney agrees that I'm covered under 'as authorized by law' part of the statute.

Edited to Add:
Here's the statute...394.458 (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0394/SEC458.HTM&Title=-%3E2008-%3ECh0394-%3ESection%20458#0394.458)

BSG62
06-01-2009, 14:25
My attorney agrees that I'm covered under 'as authorized by law' part of the statute.

Edited to Add:
Here's the statute...394.458 (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0394/SEC458.HTM&Title=-%3E2008-%3ECh0394-%3ESection%20458#0394.458)

The fact that hospitals aren't specifically mentioned as off-limits in 790.06 would lead be to believe your attorney is right. Only one way to find out though, and I'm not gonna be the test case!

neonhomer
06-01-2009, 19:07
I'll vote for a conservative Democrat before I vote for Clueless-Charlie and I really don't want to extend the Democrat control of the Senate.

Ahh... good old Chuck Putz.... or Supertan....

Not happy with Charlie....

Anyway - Post secondary schools (colleges I guess) should be off the list, and high schools. I personally can't see a reason for carrying in an emementary school. Might just be me though....

Bars - Yeah.... carry in a bar, but only if you are not drinking. Nothing like a drunk with a gun.

BSG62
06-02-2009, 08:28
Bars - Yeah.... carry in a bar, but only if you are not drinking. Nothing like a drunk with a gun.

It wouldn't really be necessary to add a stipulation about not drinking. 790.151 already prohibits having immediate access to a firearm while under the influence, and 790.157 establishes .05 as the limit for being considered "impaired".

PA allows bar carry, and has no stipulation about not drinking. Seems to work ok there. Oddly, it's even legal to carry in a bar in NY state if you have a NY CCW.

djegators
06-02-2009, 08:39
I'll vote for a conservative Democrat before I vote for Clueless-Charlie and I really don't want to extend the Democrat control of the Senate.

You may not get that chance...looks like Corrine Brown may run for the seat.

Usingmyrights
06-02-2009, 12:29
You may not get that chance...looks like Corrine Brown may run for the seat.

Don't scare me like that.

djegators
06-02-2009, 23:18
Don't scare me like that.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=139132&catid=3

iiibdsiil
06-19-2009, 22:22
post secondary campuses should not be restricted.
why can't i carry in a bar IF i am not drinking (I'm always the DD anyway).

"any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; "

So carry at the portion of the establishment primarily devoted to sitting, playing pool, or dancing, like I do.

I bet Gutmacher could make the argument stick. :tongueout: