AT&T brand home phone issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AT&T brand home phone issue

AnimalK
05-30-2009, 22:21
I have been with the same Long Distance carrier since April '02 (Verizon).

I just bought (At Wally World, no less) a new home phone due to the old one being about 4 yrs old and decrepit.

The new one's an AT&T DEC 6.0. Nice, inexpensive and comes with a second handset. I hooked it up a day or two ago.

Now for the weird part...

My brother called me on my home number and got my voice mail.

Weird part #1:
My phone did not ring. (ringer is ON)

He then called the number that showed on his caller ID (

Weird part #2:
It read as a medical clinic here in town.

I called my own cell phone from my home phone and got the same number my brother had read to me on my cell's caller ID.

Weird part #3:
That's not my home phone number!!! But it's coming from my home phone!!!

How does this happen?

I googled the number and it comes up as the fax # from the aforementioned clinic (basically a "doc in a box")

Weird part #4:
I went to twice for a serious bronchial infection about 2 yrs ago...

Did my number get jacked?

What is the deal?

grokdesigns
05-31-2009, 08:30
I think you should probably call the phone company. :cool:

kc8ykd
06-01-2009, 19:52
Sounds like a provisioning issue.

I've seen cases where at the pole or slic that wires accidentally get touched causing similar issues. But, for it to happen after switching out some local equipment, it sounds a bit too coincidental.

grokdesigns' suggestion of calling the local phone carrier would be my suggestion as well, AFTER plugging in a wired phone into the wall and re-testing. IE. have someone call you and see if it rings, call out to a cell phone a few times to see which number shows up.

If the problems still occur with the wired phone, defiantly call the carrier, if not, return the AT&T wireless kit.

If they roll a truck and it turns out to be your phone equipment they'll charge you so it's best to double check things to ensure it's not your equipment.