alphaq
05-31-2009, 23:37
Last update: June 01 2009, 11:28 AM
Top Stories - TOP STORIES

Cops to visit homes of unlicensed gun owners
Jocelyn Uy
Philippine Daily Inquirer

May 31, 2009

MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippine National Police (PNP) has launched "Oplan Kontra Boga," which would include home visits to gun owners with expired licenses, in a bid to reduce by three percent the number of loose firearms in the country every month.

The Chief of the PNP, Director General Jesus Verzosa, has issued a letter of instruction prescribing additional guidelines and procedures to curb the growing number of expired and unregistered gun licenses.

Under the newly-implemented guidelines, Verzosa instructed cops to conduct home visits to gun owners with expired licenses to either urge them to secure necessary documents or confiscate their firearms.

There are around 1.1 million firearms, according to PNP estimates.

Verzosa said the PNP headquarters would release to local police units by June 2 a complete list of delinquent gun owners so the necessary home visits could be immediately conducted, said PNP spokesperson Chief Superintendent Nicanor Bartolome yesterday.

The move was among the recommendations raised during the first national summit on firearms control in Camp Crame earlier this month, Bartolome said.

The PNP spokesman also said that police operations against unregistered firearms would include dragnet operations in crime-prone areas, mobile checkpoints and chokepoints, intelligence build-up, application of search warrants and the dismantling of private armed groups.

2009 www.inquirer.net (http://www.inquirer.net/) all rights reserved

JCWIU
06-01-2009, 00:27
Look for great deals on used RIA1911's @ the PNP website later this month :)

horge
06-01-2009, 00:50
Finally.

Vault Keeper
06-01-2009, 01:10
Everbody knows how some (I hope not a majority) PNP personnel work. LEt's just hope this will not be used to just harrass other people...

Clusterbomb
06-01-2009, 03:46
Under the newly-implemented guidelines, Verzosa instructed cops to conduct home visits to gun owners with expired licenses to either urge them to secure necessary documents or confiscate their firearms.

So what will determine a cop's action? I'm worried that the police will just resort to the latter if there are no clear guidelines for them to follow. Mas madali yata mag-confiscate. And if they confiscate your FAs, what next? Kanila na lang ba yun to personally keep and resell?

I hope the PNP publishes the guidelines for the protection of the public against their own bad elements.

ruger
06-01-2009, 08:00
Naku... Saan na puwede mag report ng theft aside sa pnp.

liveandletlive
06-01-2009, 09:52

Huh :wow:. Parang sobrang simple nung protocol, ah.

Ibig bang sabihin nasa discretion nung pulis kung "Urging" OR "confiscation" ang gagawin? Dapat alam din ng sambayanan kung ano ang conditions/protocol. Hangang kelan yung "urge" at kelan yung "confiscation".

I kinda like the idea of the PNP making sure that individual gun licences are in order, pero bat parang naka-kakaba?:dunno:

Allegra
06-01-2009, 10:10
Ginagawa na nila yan last year pa
Some guy w/ the same name as I and who looks somewhat like me had some guns that were not renewed
Hindi naman pinuntahan sa bahay yung guy na ito unlike other people in the viscinity. Though he was asked politely , na minsan ang pagtitipid ay di tama

liveandletlive
06-01-2009, 10:51
Ginagawa na nila yan last year pa
Some guy w/ the same name as I and who looks somewhat like me had some guns that were not renewed
Hindi naman pinuntahan sa bahay yung guy na ito unlike other people in the viscinity. Though he was asked politely , na minsan ang pagtitipid ay di tama

:laughabove:

O'nga, yung katabi namin biglang napagastos ng mahigit 5k nung matangap yung sulat ng PNP kasi tagal ng expired license nya.

Allegra
06-01-2009, 11:38
:laughabove:

O'nga, yung katabi namin biglang napagastos ng mahigit 5k nung matangap yung sulat ng PNP kasi tagal ng expired license nya.

Di ako pinadalan ng sulat pards
A friend of mine saw my name sa listahan ng bibisitahin along w/ the salarin gunsw/ make and serial number , naka printout pa
Di tuloy ako makatanggi

PMMA97
06-01-2009, 15:30
I have some recent experiences with the police. And it was not quite fine and dandy. I just hope they would not abuse this measure but I will have a lawyer on speed dial just in case.

jerrytrini
06-01-2009, 16:35
Sounds like Martial Law in the making. First they say, "We need to check your guns." Then your guns are gone for good. A Parker and Hale 12 gauge given to my grandfather as a birthday present by President Magsaysay was "misplaced" by Marcos' inspector.

nitrox920
06-01-2009, 16:41
they should first confiscate the firearms of the NPA, MNLF and the ASG.

remember bro, 50 % of our police officers do not have handguns.

nitrox920
06-01-2009, 16:45
that's the first step of disarming the civilians. I had my HPR renewed but until now i still havent got my new license. the FED/PNP only renewed my pistol and shotgun.. hmmmm

jimbullet
06-02-2009, 03:01
Hopefully this does not end up as extortion. I know there are a lot of good LEO's but unfortunately some bad ones will take advantage and this may include fake LEO's knocking on your door and demanding you to hand over your FA. Be extra careful.

horge
06-02-2009, 03:32
If all your licenses are up to date, and there's nothing shady wrt
your firearm registrations, you should have no problems. Of course,
if crooked cops are involved, they'll still want something before
they leave you alone, no matter how proper your papers are.

Maintain situational awareness, and be prepared.

akula
06-07-2009, 17:20
... and they want more...

PNP wants jail term for delinquent gun owners
Updated June 08, 2009 12:00 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=475511&publicationSubCategoryId=65

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine National Police (PNP) is pushing for gun owners who are delinquent in renewing their firearm licenses to be jailed for six months.

PNP chief Director General Jesus Verzosa said there were over 500,000 firearms with expired licenses but were previously registered with the Firearms and Explosives Division (FED).

In an interview with The STAR, Verzosa said the PNP has already submitted its proposal to the National Police Commission (Napolcom) for guns whose license has not been renewed within six months to be considered as loose firearms and their registered owners jailed for six months.

He noted that the proposal needs legislation, and the PNP, in coordination with the Napolcom, will closely work with the House of Representatives and Senate.

At present, Verzosa said firearm holders with expired licenses ignore their responsibility, knowing they will just pay a fine for not renewing their firearm license on time.

Verzosa earlier announced that the PNP is working on guidelines to support their plans of requesting the local government units and local police to conduct house-to-house visitations to remind gun holders to renew their expired firearm licenses.

At present, the PNP estimates there are 1.1 million loose firearms in the country and more than half of the figure represent firearms with expired licenses, while the rest are in the hands of threat groups, criminals and the general population.

He earlier issued Letter of Instruction Kontra Boga, which stated that the PNP’s target is to reduce the number of loose firearms by at least 300,000 a month nationwide.– Cecille Suerte Felipe